[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Trouble with amitryptiline

Trouble with amitryptiline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Trouble with amitryptiline

Postby hpno1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi my dr put me on 10mg and told me to take just 1 for the first week and then move onto 2 a night.
I know they take a while to kick in. All I'm getting at the moment is extra tiredness, drowsiness, headaches almost like migraines and have been waking up 2-3 times a night whereas before taking the meds it was once a night.
I'm not sure whether to go back to my doctor or whether these side effects are normal?
My info leaflet says to tell the dr but I thought these are maybe just common ....
Has anyone else suffered these effects?
hpno1
UKFM Member

Re: Trouble with amitryptiline

Postby VLB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi there,

I started on 10mg of Amnitriptyline nightly and suffered all the same symptoms as you. I think it is common as my consultant made me take a week off work when she started me on them. I pretty much slept for the week and felt rough. However, I soon adjusted to them and after several months uped to 25mg nightly which really helps me. I know about it if I miss a dose. A short time ago during a bad flare I was recommended by pain nurses to double the dose but I have honestly never felt so ill. I suffered the worst migraine headaches, dizziness, sickness and extreme drowsiness. I quickly cut back down and saw my GP who started me on Gabapentin which I now take alongisde the amnitriptyline and other meds and I have never slept so well. If your worried discuss with your Gp but it may just be a case of giving it a little more time. Good luck!
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby hpno1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Thank you so much for replying. Yeah they make me feel terrible! But maybe it is just a time thing! I've got a months worth so hopefully by then it should of settled in and should be working!
hpno1
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 pm

hi
meds do take some time to get in to our system and work the way they are meant to
but, if you are worried go and talk to your gp.

i am on 50mg :yikes: have been on them for over 3 years
and can't remember how i was when i started them :roll:
sorry not much help :-?
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Katblack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 am

Blimey, Drs whacked me straight onto 75mg a day! I can't really say I have had any really bad effects, I have slept really well since I began taking them, I take 25mg in the morning, can't say I now notice any bad effects...and 50mg at night, often don't want to get out of bed in the morning, but that was pretty normal for me anyway...I wonder if starting on a bigger dose worked better somehow? Or maybe it's a tolerance thing i.e. some drugs work for some people but not others, I'd always say go back if you are having problems, especially if they are making your symptoms worse
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Postby caz59uk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi there,

I was put on amitriptyline several years ago for neuropathic pain. Originally I was on 25mg at night which has gradually been increased to 75mg. I think I must have been lucky as the only symptoms I had was a dry mouth and a bit of extra tiredness during the day. I was diagnosed with Fibro about 6 months ago and have now been put on Gabapentin along side the amitriptyline. I think you should speak to your GP and see if he can come up with something that will suit you better.

I really hope you get this sorted out and your GP is helpful :-) .
caz59uk
UKFM Member

Postby Soapbubbles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi hpno1

My doctor put me on amytryptyline 10mg and I started taking half one to start with as I am very sensitive to things (wrapped in a jelly sweet as they taste disgusting). I did find that I was having headaches the next morning but taking it earlier in the evening at around 6 or 7 pm seemed to improve things. I did get used to it after about two or three weeks and the headaches went. They do seem to help me and I have stayed at 10mg although I could take more if needed.

Best of luck. x
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

dear friends, I could not get on with amitryptiline at all, was so dizzy all the time, so stopped them. I take St.John 's Wort instead with no problems at all and believe the drops also help the nerve pain. We are so sensitive to almost everything, so we just have to find what works best. regards pen friend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby hpno1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank you all so much for replying! They are getting way too much for me, I have about 12 hours sleep when I don't have to go to work but wake up loads in the night and this morning my eyes have gone bloodshot as I'm still so tired!
My family have said I have to carry on taking the Ami's as I only have a week and a halfs worth left but I really don't want them anymore.
Has anyone got any idea what will help me sleep through the night? I'm so fed up!
hpno1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry the amis don't seem to be suiting you hpno, if you are wanting to stop taking them, please talk to your GP about it. They generally need to be reduced over a suitable period of time rather than just stopping them. Just stopping them can cause additional problems, some of which may be worse than how you are feeling at the moment.

As for something that will help you sleep thru the night, that's the something I think most of us would like to happen :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: There are alternatives to amis, nortriptyline is quite often tried if the amis aren't suitable. It's a very similar med to amis, but is said to be better tolerated and have fewer side effects. I was on it up until very recently, and I found it much better. As with a lots of meds tho, I became too used to it, and even tho my dosage had increased, they ended up being of little use :( :( :( It might be worth talking to your GP about whether they might be suitable for you to try.

Generally, any side effects experienced tend to ease back after a week or so, but can last longer for some people. Whether this is the case for you or not, I don't know :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: They also take about a month to fully get into your system, so carrying on with them until the month has passed could help things if you felt you could manage it. Maybe seeing if you could get an earlier appt to see your GP about them could be something to consider as well :-? :-? :-?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication