[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - MST Continus, is it any good?

MST Continus, is it any good?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MST Continus, is it any good?

Postby cowsrock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi all

I am about to start MST Continus 5mg tomorrow after I told my doc the meds are not getting to the pain any more ,I had a cortosone injection between my shoulder blades yesterday to try and help to.

Has anyone had these tabs and what effects did they have please?

Regards
Cowsrock.
cowsrock
UKFM Member

Re: MST Continus, is it any good?

Postby romany65 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:10 pm

They are Morphine based and whats known in the business as a CD (controlled drug) there are very strict controls in there use, and all prescriptions must be listed by the Pharmacist. They are a very powerful painkiller and hpefully will suit you xx
romany65
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 pm

I hope they work for you and I don't want to scare you or anything but watch out for the signs of addiction/dependence and make sure whoever is prescribing it keeps a close eye on you. It's how I got dependent on morphine, although I was taking Oramorph as well.

My GP had the great idea of using MST to treat chronic pain and Oramorph to treat breakthrough pain, I didn't like the idea but I bowed to their superior knowledge. After upping and upping the dose I refused to go any higher and asked for a pain clinic referral. Now I'm at the stage where they are finding the damage it has caused to my Patuitary Gland and other possible areas. Saying all this this drug has its usage and I really hope it helps you, like I said just make sure they are monitoring you and I'm sure you will be fine. I just thought I would tell you my little story so you can keep an educated eye on things as I wish someone had said this to me when the letters MST were first mentioned.

Good luck with your treatment and pain managment
Anonymouse
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby paulamcl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 am

i agree with anoymouse. i would only take these if you really really need them. they are addictive and can leave you feeling away with the fairies. i work in a pharmacy and to be honest really only give these out to cancer patients. you are starting off on the lowest dose but could end up having to go stronger. like anoymouse says ask to be reffered to pain management classes and alternative therapies like acupuncture homeotherapy etc. hope this helps and your feeling better soon :-) x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby disco dancing kar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

hi cowsrock i have had fibro for 3 years and have tryed different tabs to help.i have been to the pain clinic and had accupunture, which helped a lot,i get more of a spasm nerve pain, which i find hard to treat,i am on pregabalin 200mg for the spasms, i can not have amitriptyline or simular as had water trouble with them,i am having accupuncture once a month, now, private round my docs as pain clinic only give you 6 free,i find they help with my neck and shoulder pain, at christmas my docs gave me mst 5mg as to take when really needed,i have had them before,only take when i am going somewhere for a long day so i can be normal for that day,i find personally that they do not give me any effects, and only take the edge off my nerve pain,we are all different and get different effects from tabs,myself find it hard for them to work,some people have tramadol, and it knocks them out,they do not take the edge off me.you just have to see how you get on with them,and talk to your gp if you think,your not feeling right.i am going on a pain management course soon,so i can see about different ways to deal with fibro,and meet other people with pain. hope things work out for you with your meds kar.
disco dancing kar
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm

i was given these as post operative pain releif following a burst appendix with a scar all down my stomach. they definitely made me spaced out. i currently take oromorph with cocodomol for fibro pain and ibs pain, i think i am probably addicted to it now but cannot cope without it.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby jennib54 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:04 pm

:-D Hi' there I take MST everyday.I took oromorph until it started to make me sick, threw it straight back up. the MST i could'nt function without them, take other meds aswell.
hope this helps you. :-D :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby clsmbenn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 pm

i take MST 30mg twice a day, but its for chronic back pain. i have took these for about 3 years now, but am not sure what dr will do as only just found out i have fibro. when i go to 40mg i get very spaced out, so they know i cant go any higher.

i have never had a problem being on it and without it, i couldnt do alot of stuff i do now, but it dont hit the pain so am taking other stuff as well with no joy, so am back at drs next week for an update.

i think though MST works for some and not for others like most meds.

really hope they will work for you and help with pain. :-D

:goodluck2: with it all
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication