[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hallucinating on Gabapentin

Hallucinating on Gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hallucinating on Gabapentin

Postby kikidee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced hallucinating whilst on gabapentin? I've been on it for a month now taking 100mg 3 times a day. These last few weeks I've seen people in the back of my car, big furry spiders on the wall that just fade into dust and had a go at the other half for drinking my tea. I was positive I'd watched him pick the cup up and down it but this was not the case. My memory is also terrible. I've been in gabapentin before (a good 2 years ago) but was taken off it and I'm almost certain it was for the same reason. However it was that long ago, and the docs had me on and off all sorts of other tablets at the time I can't remember. I'm being weened off Duloxetine at the moment so wondered if that's maybe playing a part. Also taking amitriptyline at night

I'm finally seeing the rheumatologist tomorrow morning (after waiting a long 16 months and 3 cancelled appointments) so hopefully she'll have some answers, but just wanted to throw the question out there, and to possibly warn anyone else who may be on it.

Much love xx
kikidee
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hallucinating on Gabapentin

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Even when you know it is not real it must be scary. Its not a problem I have had as yet and hopefully not at all. Maybe it is coming of the Duloxitine as it oftren has to be done slowly. Good luck with the rheumatologist :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Diane4730 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

My doc told me not to take gabapentin and amyltriptaline at the same time because they are both similar drugs. Amyltriptaline is much better for helping with sleep, not sure I like gabapentin, it hasn't helped very much.
Diane4730
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Kikidee

It could be a side affect to the Gaba`s, have a look at the info leaflet that came with the meds to see if it lists it as a side affect.

You should mention it to your gp they might lower the dose and increase you more slowly next time. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sknowles456 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:01 pm

when i first started taking gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, i was very spaced out like i was tripping but as my body got used to them i am a lot better, not sure about the pain relief aspect though! i was better on tramadol but my gp found out i was taking codeine as well and stopped them because he said you cannot take both at the same time, however i was recently admitted to hospital for pancreatic cyst pain and was given tramadol as well as codeine and my fibro pain was greatly reduced, i just wish my GP would also let me take tramadol and codeine together. Persever with the gabapentin you may feel better as your body adjusts.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby jo_jo789uk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi kikidee,

My mum has been on gabapentin for years.

Unfortunately the 'memory block' as she calls it is a usual symptom of these tablets. They were originally created to help block messages to the brain for epilepsy sufferers. My mum is on them because she has nerve damage so the tablets block the messages to the brain that there is pain. She has said that she couldn't do without them because they help massively with the pain but she has to be careful when she takes them - she cannot take them when she is doing her Open University course for example, because otherwise she ends up reading the same line over and over again because she can't remember the start of the sentence.

It also slows down her reaction time - luckily she manages to see the humerous side of this (we play mario kart on the nintendo wii and she laughs when it takes her forever just to trun around a corner because she can't react quickly).

She has never mentioned hallucinations though, and to me that sounds like something to do with the combination of tablets you are on.
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Postby jennib54 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

:-D Hi' kikidee i take gaba 2 but have never had hallucinations with them. i also take amytrip have had halluc with these , have been on these longer than the gaba so it could be the amy ones that caus the hallis.
i get what i call spaced out with the gaba as it does take longer for me to think about what i,m reading or writing sometimes have to spell the words out in my head, never had this prob before taking the gaba..
hope this helps you. take care . :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby vmvseoa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi kikidee, I've been on gaba for six weeks now. I've not noticed any hallucinations, but I did see flashes in the corner of my eye for a few weeks, and I still seem to be foggier than usual, but at the mo, pain free so not complaining too much :-P
vmvseoa
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication