[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline and Dairy

Amitriptyline and Dairy

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline and Dairy

Postby helenclaire » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi All,

I was on amitriptyline for a couple of months and had really bad chest pains, but it only seemed to happen when I ate or drank dairy products.

The doctor put me on nortriptyline and my chest stopped hurting. The tablets weren't really working though so now I'm back on amitriptyline. I've just eaten two chocolates and my chest is hurting again.

Has anyone else ever had this? My doctor thinks I'm talking rubbish! Thank you x
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline and Dairy

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Helen

Its never happened to me, i have been on/off Ami`s for about 16yrs.

Wonder if it could be something like acid reflux or indigestion as it is happening after you are eating/drinking

Is there another gp in your surgery who you could see?

Acid reflux is common with fibro so mention it to your gp to see what they think. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby caz59uk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Helen

Like Shaz I've also been on amitriptyline for quite a few years. I've never has those sort of symptoms from it. However I do get acid reflux and indigestion at times and it can be extremely painful. Are you taking Gabapentin at the moment? My reflux seems to be worse when taking it. I do agree with Shaz and think you should see if you could see a different doctor in your practice. Hope this helps. Caz :-D
caz59uk
UKFM Member

Postby helenclaire » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi both, thank you so much for replying. I've only been diagnosed for five months after years of backwards and forwards, so all this medication is quite new to me.

I'm thinking now that maybe it isn't dairy related. I have costochondritis and before i went on the ami I was treating it with ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, but then I stopped because I didn't want to be using too many drugs. I think maybe Nirotryptilyne was helping it but because it was so hopeless in every other way I didn't put two and two together. i'll stick with it and see how it goes. There seems to be so much trial and error with Fibro.

I do get bad acid reflux too, any suggestions on how to help this?

Thank you so much xx
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 pm

oh dear.... :shock: :-? please dont tell me I have to quit dairy too :cry: Its bad enough avoiding cola, caffeine, and artifical sweetener, not sure I can cull my diary also!! :lol:

and yes, I do still smoke & drink (and pay for it)...... 6 months in, and amitrypline is a miracle worker for me, but I would prefer to be left with 'some joy in my miserable life' :roll:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Amitriptyline and Dairy

Postby Morgana » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm dairy free... can have goat's cheese and sheep's cheese. :)
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Postby Sjnsasy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi, I'm on amitriptyline and have been for several years. I'm 39 this year and never had any previous issues with any dairy products. Until i started on the amitriptyline - I now have a dairy intolerance. If I have any dairy products now - I have severe stomach cramps and become very unwell :(
Sjnsasy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tina1963 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:04 pm

HI there

Hey this seems like a good diet tablet... you cant eat much. I take Lansoprazolel for my reflux.. its brill, I can have the odd drink and choc without paying for it.

;-)
Tina1963
UKFM Member

Amitriptyline and Dairy

Postby Morgana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I had the dairy problems before the Ami... I keep telling everyone; I came off the production line at 17:29 on Christmas Eve... they raided the faulty parts bins to finish me before heading to the pub!
Morgana
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Amitriptyline and Dairy

Postby Morgana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Morgana
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:44 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby helenclaire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Shazq, thank you I will give that a try.

Keep smiling everyone x
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication