[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline not helping with the pain

Amitriptyline not helping with the pain

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline not helping with the pain

Postby mega1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

well doc has said i can go up to 100mg of Amitriptyline then go back and see her, i am definately sleeping better at night with these but the pain is still the same :( does anyone else taking Amitriptyline along with other medication for the pain? i will need to go back and see the doc to see what she suggets.
mega1
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline not helping with the pain

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Mega1

There are a lot of post bout AMT and they help for some and not for others, as I am sure you know there is no known cure or treatment that will work for us all so it is all worth a try and if it works, "Sing and Dace" :bear-dancing: if not keep on trying.

For me personally AMT didnt work and I had some side effects to the tablet, I then went on to Nortriptilyne and the same with these, so no "Sing and Dance" yet.

Good luck and I hope you find your "Sing and Dance" soon. :bear-dancing:
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby mega1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

mega1
UKFM Member

Postby helenclaire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi mega1,

I was only diagnosed end of last year and the first thing they put me on was Amitriptyline. I didn't think they were doing much so they swapped me over to Nortriptyline. These gave me really bad side affects and so I am now back on Amitriptyline again. They seem like a godsend in comparison to the Nortriptyline. I think they help in some ways, mainly with sleeping which is hugely important with us Fibros. But I do still suffer a lot of pain whilst using them. I'm giving them a go again for a couple of months to see if they help. I've also changed my diet and TRIED to introduce walking as much as I possibly can....anything to try an help!

Good luck! x
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby hannahfibro20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 pm

I am on 30mg of amitriply but doesnt seem to help also on tramadol, co codamol 4 times a day plus extra codine on top. And sleeping tabs the only thing that helps pain a tiny bit is tramdol and co codamol and codine mixed but when i take tramdol sleep is non existent x

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
hannahfibro20
UKFM Member

Postby Genge333 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm

I take Amitriptyline at night 35mg but I think of it as a sleep aid and nothing else. I take gabapentin morning and night 1100mg and that is my pain signal blocker not pain reliever. I'm also on duloxatine for my mood and it helps my syptoms. I then use pain relief as and when required building up from basics eg paracetamol, codiene, tramadol, ibuprofen then I have supplies of diazapam, tamazapam and bupronorfine for emergency episodes. Interesting though I have just had my routine bloods done and requested testing for T3 & T4 only to be told that I have an underactive thyroid T4 very low as well as my TSH levels so now on thyroid replacement medication so I'll be interested to see how that makes me feel as had a really rough month especially with fatigue.
Genge333
UKFM Newbie

Postby mega1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 pm

omg Genge333 that's some medication! yes i defo need to go back and see the doc ... i am just newly diagnosed but this pain drives me insane .... also always feel like i am biting the heads off my hubby and kids at silly things! need something to sort out all my symptoms x
mega1
UKFM Member

Postby fibrobilly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

HI
I take 100mg of Amtrip, Dihydocodeine60mg ,clonazepam 500microgram together approx 2hrs before bed,sleep for about 5hrs, then go back to sleep for about another 4 hrs, during the day I take Slow release Tramadol 200mg twice a day,still in pain but is bearable, as long as I dont move :-D

Take care
Fibrobilly
fibrobilly
UKFM Member

Postby chez1966 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey, I'm on 200mg Amitriptyline, 45mg Mirtazapine, 20mg Citalopram, 75mg Eltroxin, 20mg Omeprazole, 90mg Tildiem (twice a day), 10mg Lisinopril and 7mg Zopiclone..... I rattle everyday lol. I have a cabinet full of different pain relief but don't take them if I can help it, but, when in pain I usually take to sitting and doing nothing even though I know we are suppose to exercise to help ease it. Without my cocktail of meds, I just wouldn't get through the day and I would probably be up on a murder charge. So many things irritate me especially consistent noise/tapping/clicking I think you get the picture.
Does anyone else have a problem with balance and walking a straight line ? I resemble a drunk when walking !! :crazy:
Have a pain free evening folks....... Cheryll x
chez1966
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Amitriptyline tends to be one of the first meds tried when we're told we have FM as it can help with sleep and pain, unfortunately it doesn't always work on both for all of us as we all seem to have our own foibles and quirks that this condition brings out. For a few, the amis may be enough to control things, for most of us tho, we tend to need a cocktail of things, the ingredients of which can change over time.

If you feel the amis aren't helping as much as you hoped/wanted/expected, have a look at this linky http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx It explains about the sorts of meds used to try and manage FM. People often take some of this info with them when they see their GP to see what their GP thinks may be suitable for them to try.

From what has been said, you can see how wide a variety of meds we are on, and how the dosages vary for each one of us. It usually involves some trial and error, but it is possible to find the right recipe that makes the difference to you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hannahfibro20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm

I will understand the bodys way of working and how some meds work for some pepole and not others spose thats were illnesses come in with broken signals and parts of the body. I used to get chronic headaches at the age of 10 was on gabpentin for a few years stopped it then tryed it again when fibro started showing itself felt drunk, also tryed sertalin (sorry about spelling) and citropralam they made me urge and fluxotine made me feel like i was dying you know on top of normal fibro also tryed diclofenic and zoplicon (i hope you guys can grasp what meds i mean sorry spelling is terible) zoplicon was great it made me sleep so well.but doc wont give me anymore so.on nightol more then i should to.be honest but its the only way i can drop off.

hannahfibro20
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Hannah, as much as I dislike doing the :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: I still need to point out that you shouldn't be taking more than the stated dose of meds, incl ones bought OTC. They can all interact with each other and cause additional problems which could be even worse than what you usually experience.

Zopiclone is a sleeping med which can be habit forming, which could be why your GP is so reluctant to let you have any more. Have you spoken to your GP about your sleep problems??? It night be worth doing so to see what other options could be available to you. Sometimes just a little tweaking of dosage and changing of times in the day when things are taken can help. Your pharmacist may also be able to help with advice, esp with OTC things.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hannahfibro20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm

I have spoken to him about it he said the ami should help but if i take it to close to bed time i cant sleep. I fully understand your reasons for concerns i myself am not happy with it and plan to.make a doxs appointment addressing this problem. Thankyou for telling the truth rather than wrapping it in cotton wool. : ) it will get sorted its just hard to get to docs i have to ask someone to push me or pay for taxies and am on a low income. I hope your day is a little pain day x

hannahfibro20
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I know myself how difficult it can be to get to the docs, or anywhere in fact as I find it virtually impossible to go anywhere alone so have to try and arrange things so that they are on days when my OH is off duty :shock: :shock: :shock: Even a taxi is an ordeal for me as it means I have to get in it on my own, all thanks to how anxious and panicky I have become over time with FM :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: understand about the worries that you have to deal with when on a low income as well :( :( :( :(

Have you tried taking the amis an hour or 2 before you go to bed?? I recently swapped from nortriptyline to dosulepin and have found that taking them too close to bedtime means I am laid for several hours until I suddenly zonk out, but taking my last lot of meds an hour or so before I go to bed is helping to a degree.

Hope you can get things a little more sorted soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hannahfibro20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Thankyou, no i will try that.
I hope that one day yours and everyone elses fibro will be cured il cross all my joints for that (if hypermobilitey complies lol) hugs x

hannahfibro20
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication