Swedish massage or deep tissue?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Swedish massage or deep tissue?

Postby gibbo82 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 am

Just would like to know if anybody has had one of these massages before? And which one would they recommend? And if it helped with symptoms?

Lee
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Swedish massage or deep tissue?

Postby funny_wonder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 am

Some people with FM might find Swedish massage a bit too much for them, it's quite vigorous. However, it depends really on how good the masseur is because they should be able to vary the pressure according to the needs or preferences of the individual. I have aromatherapy massage & I do like a good bit of pressure, I find it helps with symptoms. Can't say I'm convinced that the aromatherapy oils make any difference in themselves but the massage is great. I'd suggest experimenting until you find a style/ masseur you like.
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am

:yikes: Not sure I would do either if I'm honest, as they would be too much for me and it would be too painful to enjoy.

I also would suggest an Aromatherapy massage with quite a light pressure but hopefullly you can work with the person giving the massage and find a pressure that suits you. Massages are funny things with me ....not as relaxing as preFM in some instances quite sore but do feel better after.

Enjoy what ever you decide.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Samantha.elliot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

I had a deep tissue massage a few weeks ago. My pain becomes horrific around my neck and shoulders and thought this might help. The massage itself was quite painful, the idea is to make the brains pain receptors target the area that gives you grief(the only way to do this is to first make the area more painful so the brain sends extra to it!).

I did not feel the benefits of the massage, and still felt the same a few days after. However, I would not discourage anyone from trying it. As I've discovered, no two cases of FM are the same and what may not benefit one, may be a godsend for another!

I hope this helps!
Samantha.elliot
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Gibbo

As has already been suggested I would try an aromatherpahy massage too. It's aim is to relax you and your body and that is exactly what it does. I have a one hour all over massage once a week and I have found it has really helped me pain wise. Like ISM, I too am a bit sore the next day even though I only have really light pressure, but once that's eased my body does feel much better.

I would avoid anything deep tissue related as that just sounds far too painful and could make your pain worse. Just make sure whoever you do see knows you have FM and that they need to be really gentle with you.

We are all so different though so don't be disheartened if massage doesn't work for you. It''s all about finding your own little routine that helps you.

Good Luck I hope you find a massage type that helps.

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication