[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Nefopam & Tramadol

Nefopam & Tramadol

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Nefopam & Tramadol

Postby countyfan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Wonder if anyone can help me with some advice.
I have just come back from hospital after having an operation to fuse 2 vertebrae in my neck. I think that the pain from this has made my fibro symptoms worse! I ache even more badly than before in totally unrelated areas...
One thing that I have discovered accidentally though, is that co-codomal is not effective for my pain any more and I get terribly constipated when I take it. In the hospital I was put on Nefopam and Tramadol and WOW they worked brilliantly. Really don't want to continue taking both and co-codamol though and wonder which people think would be best to try alongside my Cymbalta, instead of the co-codamol.
Any experiences people have had with these combinations, I would be grateful if you could share them with me.

countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Nefopam & Tramadol

Postby funny_wonder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 am

Codeine is notorious for causing constipation. You can combine tramadol & paracetamol instead, which find much more effective. I take slow release tramadol, topped up by paracetamol when necessary. Or you could take co-codamol with the tramadol occasionally if you need to. I have to say, tramadol & lyrica make my life worth living. The only side effect I've had is weight gain from the Lyrica.
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Hope the surgery went well for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: It may well have caused a flare, having had a neck fusion, I know how worrying/anxious a time it is :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I've got Tramadol and Nefopam as part of my cocktail and have found them to be a helpful combination. When I was given the Tramadol and asked if there was anything I could take alongside it, or that I should avoid taking with it, he suggested paracetamol rather than co~codamol, partly due to the constipating effects of codeine, but also because paracetamol has something about it that seems to have synergistic benefits with some meds such as Tramadol.

If you feel that the Tramadol is more effective than the co~codamol, talk to your GP about swapping and also see about having the Nefopam added as well. For me, the Nefopam hasn't helped so much with the FM pain side of things but has made a real difference to my migraines.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks for your replies.
Looking into tablets and their interactions has really opened a can of worms. It started with my Mu8m being rushed into hospital with congestive hear failure. As there is nothing they can do surgically she has been put on 12 different tablets, including 3 for BP an angiotensin II antagonist, aspirin & warfarin. When you look at what shouldn't be taken together (in pack insert) you wonder if docs really know what they are doing.
Upshot of all this is I am going to ask my doc about the BP tablet I am on. Firstly it is the water reducing type, which apparently aren't recommended for those under 60 (I'm 54) and secondly it says you shouldn't take it with Naproxen or Duloxetine, both of which I take for my Fibro! :nono:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:07 pm

It is :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: when you start reading the info :shock: :shock: :shock: These days, being a :teddy-bear: of very little brain, I don't look into things quite as much as I used to :oops: :oops: :oops: My GP is pretty good tho and often shows me the screen on the system which flags up possible interactions and problems, esp with something new and will go thru the pros and cons about things and why he thinks one med may be more suitable for me over another.

I used to worry myself :puke: :puke: :puke: about what might happen with interactions, side effects and in the long term, but now the main driving force is finding the things that will help me in some way.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for you and your mum :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication