[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline

Postby rachie611 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi!

I was prescribed Amitriptyline by my doctors just over two weeks ago and have taken one tablet every night since. I can't honestly say that I am feeling a whole lot different! I am sleeping through the whole night more regularly but I do not feel anymore rested when I wake up and I don't feel as thought my aches and pains have gotten any better!

Shall I stick with them a little longer? Up my dose? Or go back and talk to the doctor again? I feel as though I need something to keep me awake or wake me up in the morning! I don't feel as thought my quality of sleep has gotten any better.

Need some advice please! I know we're all different but some opinions would be good :-)
rachie611
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby Moobaloo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:31 pm

I started on 10mg, but had my dose upped in increments to 75mg. Try taking your dose earlier in the evening, say 8.30-9pm, rather than at bedtime, as it might help you feel more awake the next day.
I used to wake up in pain numerous times every night, but now I sleep much better on the higher dose.
If you still aren't sleeping too well after you try moving the time of your dose, go back to your doctor. Hope that helps a little!
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby Moobaloo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Forgot to say, do stick with them a bit longer as they can take 4-6 weeks to build up in your system & take full effect.
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby hnjones » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I have been feeling just the same!
I had been asking the gp for months to let me try them as i was taking 17 - 20 tablets per day.
For the first week i just found i didnt have a broken sleep, by the 2nd week my pain was easing in the day but by the 3rd week an ever since (im on week 8 now) i am back to taking extra painkillers to get through each day.
My gp has told me not to up to dose, i take 25mg each night but considering trying an extra tablet for a week or so and see how i go.
Good luck!
hnjones
UKFM Newbie

Postby Becky-Lou » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Rachie,

I've been on Amitriptyline for three years and swear by the stuff. Unusually, as soon as I was put on it, the change in how I felt was instant. Has your doctor told you to up your dose gradually? I took 10mg each night for the first week, 20mg the next, and then 30mg (where I felt most comfortable). This is what my GP advised (and had found worked best as he used it himself!).

At first, I felt like hell in the morning, like I'd had an amazing night out with nothing to show for it. Luckily, being a student at the time, I was able to get used to it in my own time. Once I was awake, I felt the most alive I'd felt in a long time, and had the ability to function, and, for the first time in a year, was able to move around on my own (this happened in a matter of days!). Perhaps you need a little more time to adjust? When I was put on some additional meds (Citilopram), my doctor tried to sign me off to allow me to get used to them without the worry of sleepiness. Perhaps this is something you may be able to do?

I'd definitely explore and try and stick it out, as for me, its been amazing. Try taking half a tab, or 10mg if he'll let you move to those, then when you're feeling more comfortable, try the next.

My experience has been great using it - I rarely take other pain relief and live a relatively normal life, similar to that before I became ill. Even my doctors amazing at how well its taken. I actually take anything up to 130mg now, dependent on how I'm feeling. It's great as its non addictive, you can alter it, reducing when you're going through a good patch, and increasing it when you're not.

Good luck, and do let me know if you have any other questions about it! I'm happy to tell you about my experience.

Becky x

p.s. I agree with Moobaloo - take it earlier (ideally two hours before bed)
Becky-Lou
UKFM Member

Postby Panda58 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I have had my dose upped and am sleeping better I also try and take the tabs at 8 pm as this is better for the next day .also it gives the tabs time to work before going to bed hope this helps xxx
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hi

I have recently taken myself of Amytriptiline 75mg as my weight was constantly increasing and it was really getting me down. I have put on nearly 3 stones in the 2 years that i have been on it and my moods were really low as none of my clothes fitted me and i really couldnt afford to be replacing them. The last time i was at my dr it was talked about me coming off the amytriptiline and increasing the dose of duloxitine to 120mg. This has worked really well for me and i dont get that hung over feeling in a morning now i dont take the amys and more important i have lost about 9lb to date and thats without changing my diet so i am really pleased with that.

When i did take the amys i was on 75 mg and i used to take the full dose at about 5pm with my tea and found that i didnt get the hung over feeling the next morning and yet i slept really well. As amys are not a quick acting sleep aid it can be taken several hours before bed without having any drowsy problems though when i went to bed at 10pm i was ready for sleep so i managed to find the right time for me taking the amys.

Except when i was working i have never been an early riser but since stopping the amys i get up anytime between 6 and 7am which is totally out of charachter for me as i was always in bed until i woke properly which could be any time up to lunchtime!!! I feel so much more alive on the duloxatine and wide awake in the mornings, i couldnt have a lie in even if i wanted to lol!!! I now listen to my body and if i need a rest during the day then i rest or if i am hurting badly i rest but what i am doing is finally working for me.

I dont know about anyone else but if i have a busy long day then the next day i am usually confined to bed but i am not confined to bed all day any more now that i am on the right combination of medication for me. I have recently got a mobility scooter and i try to go out most days with my dog Milly and i really do believe that all the fresh air is really making a difference to my health and Milly's weight. We are usually ou for a couple of hours at a time and though i wish i could exercise more i do believe it is doing both of us good. Milly looked fed up a lot of the time and i felt guilty because i couldnt take her out but this way we are both really happy and both sleep so soundly and most days wake up refreshed. Most days we go between 5 and 8 miles a day so i am going to have one very fit doggy and she is so, so happy bless her.

Good luck with getting a combination that works for you, i never ever thought i would get to where i am now but i am so happy that i have. My gp was shocked that i had gone ahead with coming off the amys but i was sensible doing it and found that i had very few side effects. What i did is not recommended it was simply down to a total misunderstanding between my dr and i, i think i was selective with our discussion and only heard the bit that i could gradually come off them but hey it really has made such a difference to both Milly's and my life!!!

Milly :-) :hugs: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm

I started on 10mg at night last year, im now on 75mg at night and 20mg in the day. I sleep much better at night, rarely have insomnia these days. Not sure if its helpin much with the pain. But i think i need to take it earlier in the evening as i also wake up very groggy in the mornings.
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Rachie, as Moobaloo has alreay said, amitriptyline needs a while to fully get into your system and take effect, we usually say give it about a month to see how you're going on with it.

You haven't mentioned the dosage you're currently taking, generally tho 10mg is often used as a starting dose. For some, this dosage makes a difference to their symptoms, for others tho, some increasing is needed to get it to an effective level, but you do need to give it time to find what is right for you.

As for whether you should stick with them, only you can really decide that, we can offer you advice and suggestions about how we have dealt with things, but such decisions have to come from you :( :( :( When I've found myself having initial problems with a new/changed/increased med, I tend to stick to the advice my GP gives me at the time about how long things could take to get into my system etc. After then, I usually tend to have to go for a review any way. For any changes in dosage tho, this shouldn't really be done without consulting your GP first just in case it isn't advisable for you to take a higher level.

You've been given some good suggestions about how to try and reduce the morning after zombified feeling, so maybe for the next couple of weeks, see how things go, then consider talking to your GP about things if they're still not seeming to be helping you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby weeamd » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I have been on amitriptyline for over a year now. I went to the doctors about my weight gain. Doc said it was unlikely related to the medication. I have tried all kinds of weight loss diets etc and I am still gaining. I take 40mg nightly. I have gained 2 stone. has anuone ot any advice for me please?

this is my first time posting
weeamd
UKFM Newbie

Postby jennib54 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi' guys i take 150mg at night(3x50mg). although if i've had a couple of good nights i knock them back down to 2. i have'nt really noticed any real increase in my weight with these, the main prob w2ith them is that they can stop you weeing properly, which i suppose can make weight fluctuate as its like water retention.
these tabs are given to children to help stop wetting their beds.
hope this helps with any worries you have with taking these.
:-D :-D
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby rachie611 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Thank you for all your replies!

I have started taking them at around 8:30pm now and I can feel a difference but I might try taking it to 8:00pm! My doctor told me to start on one tablet a night (10mg I think) and see how I feel. She gave me enough to up my dose to two!I do still feel very sleepy during the day with it starting at around 11am and gradually getting worse! I may try taking two a night for a week or so and see how I feel!

Thank you so much guys your advice is really appreciated!
rachie611
UKFM Member

Postby GeeJay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 pm

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg by the dr today, he told me to take one or two about half an hour before I go to bed, I asked if there is any side effects, he just said the most common is a dry mouth in the mornings then he printed out the prescription, told me to go back in about a month then sent for the next patient. I feel like he was hurrying so that I couldn't ask any more questions :nono:.
I'm glad I joined this forum, I felt alone and didn't know what to do but your advice has helped me a lot :-)
GeeJay
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication