Naproxen

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Naproxen

Postby lorimc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with fibro and am currently taking 500mg of naproxen twice a day along with 75mg amitriptyline at night. I'm finding that I am not getting any pain relief with the naproxen and I just wondered if anyone else is, or has been on naproxen, and what experiences you have had on it? I started off on 250mg of it twice a day and when I was at the doctors last week she increased the dose to 500mg x2 daily. I am wondering if i should stick with it for another week or so, or should i just go back and tell her its not helping. Thanks x
lorimc
UKFM Member

Re: Naproxen

Postby Gaia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I would stick with it for a while. My son takes it and swears by it - although it does take a few weeks to kick in and give you the full relief. Also, what you must remember is, that no medication will give you total relief. I have been talking various meds for over 6 years now and find I only ever get a little relief from the pain. Nothing is 100% and we just have to learn to live with it and adapt our lives accordingly.

The secret I have found is to keep moving around, pottering round the house or garden, because whenever I sit down for too long I become stiff and in great pain. Keep control of your fibro, try not to let fibro control you as so many people do and good luck. Hope you get some relief soon! :-D
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I agree with Gaia, that you should stick with the Naproxen for a bit longer. I am taking 500mg twice a day too and it definitely took a while to build up in my system. I do also suffer from Osteoarthritis and as Naproxen is a NSAID then maybe it's more relief from the arthritic pain that I get, rather than from the Fibro, muscle type pain!
Just don't give up too soon, without giving Naproxen a good chance... ;-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby lorimc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I will definitely give the Naproxen a go for a while longer :-)
lorimc
UKFM Member

Postby Laus2002 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello there,

I was wondering if you we're even more fatigued than usual on the Naproxen? I've been on it for the past 4 weeks for bursitis of the hip and I am more exhausted than usual and if I do manage to find the energy to do something, my recovery takes twice as long. I'm not sure if I'm just going through a a really bad patch FM wise or whether its the medication?

Laus
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Postby lorimc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi Laus, personally speaking Naproxen doesn't leave me feeling more fatigued. It might be worth mentioning the increased fatigue to your GP. Hope you feel better soon :-) x
lorimc
UKFM Member

Postby KittyC » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I started taking Naproxen about 4 weeks ago after hitting rock bottom. I have had fibro for around 12 years (by my reckoning, although only diagnosed a few years ago). I have tried so many different meds plus countless alternative therapies and can honestly say Naproxen has given me more significant relief than anything I have tried thus far. I actually feel like I could have the prospect of some quality of life again.

I have mixed feelings about this as I am convinced that there is a safe, natural way to get my symptoms significantly under control. However, whilst I try to find this solution I am happy to have the relief that Naproxen is giving me. I was on Diclofenac for years and don't think it ever made a jot of difference to me...we are all different.

Good luck with it :)
I intend to live forever, or die trying.
KittyC
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication