[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does Citalopram (Cipramil) cause risk to the heart?

Does Citalopram (Cipramil) cause risk to the heart?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does Citalopram (Cipramil) cause risk to the heart?

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 am

Hi,

I have just read that Cipramil or Citalopram causes heart problems on nhs choices news.

I have been taking Cipramil for 10 years and from the moment I took it I said my heart was beating really weirdly but they just said it was my anxiety. My heart still beats really weirdly and it still scares the hell out of me all these years on.

Does anyone else have the same thing please? xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Re: Does Citalopram (Cipramil) cause risk to the heart?

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi moomoos

I have not been on these meds but if you are worried you should mention it to your gp and get them to check you over, you have been on them for 12yrs so its worth you having a check but i am sure you will be ok. :hugs: :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I was on them for a while moomoos, but didn't find they had any effect of my heart rate. I had the dosage increased to 50mg after a review last year, but was then called back in not long afterwards because advice had been sent out that said the level I was on was no longer a recommended dosage rather than not suitable to be on when taking Tramadol due to potential heart problems, so I had to go back down to the lower amount that hadn't really helped me. I ended up swapping to a different anti~d instead.

The best thing to do is talk to your GP about things. Altho these advices are sent out, it comes down to GP as how they are interpretted in relation to patients. For some, the GP may decide that the benefits of the med far outweigh the potential problems that could arise.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby moomoos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 am

Hi Both of you and thanks for replies to this.

Its something I'v worried about for years and I used to mention it all the time to my GP's but they used to tell me there was no known side effect concerning the heart and that its just my anxiety and panic. Someone told me a while back that heartbeat was mentioned on the leaflet that comes with the medication these days, so I read it and yes it is now mentioned, whereas before it wasnt. I used to feel that doctors jjst put everything down to anxiety and panic, and I sometimes get that feeling again with the FM, like as if everything is put down to that as no one seems to know whats FM and whats not.

I think I might mention it again to my current GP after reading that the other night. Sometimes it feels like my heart isnt beating properly for some time, quite a few beats, like the feeling when it 'misses a beat', but it can also feel like its pumping very hard, like its overworked, and/or that its jumping to one side. I hate the feelings, have never liked them.

I am using Cipramil for anxiety and panic attacks, not for the FM, not on any med for FM. I so wish I could come off it....... xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm

I take 40mg of Citalopram and have been on it for 15 years, i hope it doesnt cause heart problems! I already have high cholesterol!
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 am

Hi sknowles, do you get any weird heart beats? Is it just me?
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrocaz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi
My Dr told me that Citalopram, prosac and amitriptyline can cause heart problems..I have taken them 3 in the past...had an ECG reading..was a bit of a problem..so came off amitriptyline and prosac...then 2 weeks later my ECG reading again was normal..all good... :-D
Fibrocaz
UKFM Newbie

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks Caz.... Really want to come off my Cipramil, been on it toooo long!! xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:06 pm

The best thing to do moomoos it talk to your GP about coming off it and see what alternatives might be suitable for you to try. I came off it last year and was switched on to sertraline and tbh I think the sertraline suits me better. Altho my moods still swing, they don;t seem to be quite as bad and I have quite a bit of movement in the dosage should it need increasing, whereas I was on the max possible recommended dosage for citalopram and finding it harder to contain the swings.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi FluppyPuffy,

Thanks for replying...... I have spoken to doc on a few occasions about this Cipramil and my heart in the past as it used to really scare me :yikes:, they used to tell me it was cos of my anxiety :waiting: .... now I kinda think, well I been on it for 10 years n its not killed me yet............ but thats not the perfect solution is it :roll: . Then when I read that on NHS news it scared me all over again :yikes: . I have discussed coming off med slowly but then something else happens in my life and I get extra down n end up staying on it for longer and longer.

I take the Cipramil for my anxiety n panic, and is used for my depression too and is extra useful for when the S.A.D. kicks in each year, so I know I need something, but I dont like the heart beating weirdly thing.

Gonna have to speak to doc. Will be seeing him at some point for x-ray results. xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 pm

There should be an alternative to help you moomoos, it's just a case of finding the right one. I had to come off citalopram slowly and my GP told me that I'd probably feel worse during that time, which I did :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Much more anxious and panicky than I had been for a good while :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was scary at times, but when I started the sertraline and it started to take effect, they seemed to settle a fair bit quicker than they had when being on other ones.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks FluppyPuffy,

Those are the discontinuation effects, taking Citalopram makes you feel like that when you first start taking it as well :(

I'm lucky in that I take it in liquid form and so it makes it far easier to cut down to come off of it. I would stay on it if it werent for the heart beat thing cos its been good to me for the problems I have

xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I take citalopram and havent had a problem but that said there are so many others they can use instead that you shouldnt have a problem changing over :fingerscrossed: they sort it out for you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby moomoos » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks Denys xx

It scares me :yikes: :shock: that no one else appears to have had anything like this. I'v worried about this for years now, so I think its time to get it sorted.
moomoos
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication