[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tramadol- advice please

Tramadol- advice please

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tramadol- advice please

Postby chuckles166 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello to you all
On friday my gp put me on tramadol for pain relief, i took 2 at 4 oclock thought fantastic instant relief from the pain so then had 2 more just before going to bed around 10 thats when the fun began i itched all night long it drove me demented. had a couple at 7 wen i got up for a wee stop(as i cal them) and had a couple more hours but wen i got up to go to do my voluntary work i woke as though i had brainfog and couldnt work out what i had to do next (that was weird luckily not had it again). Saturday night itching kicked off again and sunday night but not as bad.

Has anyone else had this side effect to tramadol? did you persevere with it or come off it altogether? At the moment i have gone back to co-codamol but its not strong enough any more thats why i changed to tramadol.

many thanks
chuckles
chuckles166
UKFM Member

Re: Tramadol- advice please

Postby helenfelen » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I itched like mad on tramadol!total body and I couldn't handle that! i itch on codeine as well but it more bearable on it! tramadol also made me feel very sick and out of it so I switched back to codeine! I get it separate from paracetamol so i can choose my dose of codeine from 15mg to 60mg depending on how bad i am! if you're not getting the itching every time you take it it might be worth perservering for a bit to get your body used to it! I itched everytime i took it so was itching 24/7 which was why i stopped. good luck!! hope you find something that works for you!!
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby swbadcock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:29 pm

I have been taking Tramadol and paracetamol for 14 months now and it does help a lot as long as i don,t do to much standing or walking or over do anything actually .When i first started taking the meds i to feel irritable , itchy , tiered and felling unwell , but i kept with it for a while and things on that side calmed down .I now have very little problems with taking it. Good luck and i hope it will settle for you.
swbadcock
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Chuckles

Thats is a side affect you are getting, you could try cutting down to just one tablet and see if that makes a difference, it might stop as your body gets used to them but if not go back to let your gp know, they do a slow release tramadol which might be better for you.

Hope the itching stops soon as tramadol is a good med. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 pm

You don't mention doses? 2 Tramadol sounds a lot, I think you will feel hungover by taking 4 tablets in a short period. I take slow release (MR) which gives less side effects but even though I have taken Tramadol on and off for years I find myself "hungover" if I take the maximum dose.
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby chuckles166 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

thank you for all your replies i am on the lowest dose at the moment of 50mg per tablet i will give the 1 tab a go and work up and see what happens? my gp did say i could take 1-2 upto 4 times a day so i will restart tonight and see if it settles down.

Take care and thanks again
chuckles x
chuckles166
UKFM Member

Postby king sugriva » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:35 am

Hello i have had fibromyalgia syndrome for 4 years at first no meds worked then was given tremadol but i knew the side effect and new if i took a higher does yes it would get rid of the pain but taken over a long period would eventually reduce the effectiveness over time so i limited when i took tremadol to later in the day when the the pain was at its worse i was put on Pregabalin high dose and both together help but not enough to have any kind of normal life i have to abey a pacing program i made for myself in which i have to do an activity like make a cup of tea then rest for 2 hours even going to the toilet is hard and reqiures rest i also have symptom of ME too, it has taken me years just to get to the stage when i can finaly come onto a site like this to write a small peice to say. I also have headache 24 hours a day to so writting was impossible till now, I didnt itch much in the begining so i say persevere and please try not take to many to soon. :-D
king sugriva
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:06 am

Tramadol advice? Yes, dont touch the stuff.
I watched two friends almost die from it and if you are taking it you need doctors advice regarding coming off it because sudden withdrawal can cause seizures, coma and death.
I cannot advocate stronger than that without saying I rather die or take heroin because when you see the people you love withdrawing or high on the stuff... then you understand.
Highly addictive and tolerance is quickly developed.
Anybody with a tendency towards drug misuse should not be prescribed it and I have been offered it more than once and rather take morphine.
But I am not a doctor. And doctors are not gods and like the easy route most often.
Listening to the person you love most in the world telling you over and over, day after day, week after week how much they want to be dead is not written in the side effects but it convinced me easy enough.
A double whammy of being pain free and high as a kite with the doctors blessing and no dodgy drug dealer involved..... :nono:
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sknowles456 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm

I take cocodamol but they are just not killing the pain which is getting worse, i am going back to my GP on wednesday to ask to be changed back to tramadol, they made me a bit spaced out but they killed the pain, i dont care about addiction issues (i take oromorph as well) i just want to be pain free.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 am

After asking about addiction issues in a morphine based patch, was once told by a pain consultant that when a med is used correctly for pain relief it is difficult for you to get addicted as your body uses the analgesia to take away the pain not to get a physical high. If you are getting a high with any meds then you are using it incorrectly and it is then that you are at risk of addiction in that case you should discuss again with who ever prescribed the medication.

He did say that if you are on some drugs for a while you may have to take a very measured approach to coming of them and do it in a very staged manner that can take a while but that this was different from addiction..not sure how it is but have been using some heavy duty pain meds for a while and don't think I'm addicted. :crazy:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:11 pm

I have not had time to properly read the responses yet but will say that we dont so much talk of drug 'addiction' as more now as drug misuse or drug tolerance.
The drug tramadol is known as a drug which the user will indeed develop tolerence to and require increasing doses to maintain pain relief.
When an ex junkie who you see go through rehab from heroin and then through the same fro tram tells you repeatedly how badly they want to die and how easy coming off heroin was by comparison and even a year later will say how very terrified they are to be anywhere near that drug... it hits home in a way that no advert or whatever can.
Following from that I was in dialogue with someone I have never met or even spoken to on the phone but could tell from the tone of the email he was as high as a kite. He was hours from death 3 DAYS after starting tram. I did manage to get him help and it was the doctor who deals with withdrawal that actually confirmed all I say and he had to go through a 2 week reduction program of managed withdrawal because he could have died.
Thinking you might die because of pain is something I know well. I am waiting for spinal surgery now.
WANTING to be dead is a whole other ball game and one I wont play regardless of how anybody else gets on well with this drug.
Morphine is heroin. I rather take that than tramadol.
Its tramadont and I wish it was banned.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I am using gabepentin, cocodomol 30's, diazepam, ibuprofen, anti psychotics and 2 TENs machines and should be on morphine patches according to my recent hosp discharge notice so know pain and would say that they way to addiction and to hell is to try it, avoid it if you can. I have only ever found people who get high on it speak positively of it. I cant see how simple FM pain can be worse than all of my conditions combined and I wont take it and yet cant even shower because I have machines attached 24/7.... I dont know what other conditions there are but I think maybethre is something more than FM causing pain that i undiagnosed or addressed.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 am

Tramadol and other morphine or morphone derivative drugs offer a solution for many at a difficult time in thier lives . No one wishes too suffer pain and therefore each individual should make an informed choice as to whether this or another drug is what is necessary for them at the moment.
I'm sorry you are suffering so much at the minute Ribbonsrabbit and hope that you get to the route of the issue very soon particularly as you believe it is not FM related.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 pm

I have always found Tramadol to be a good medication but i dont find it strong enough to take my pain away, everyone reacts differently to medications its trail & error, you dont know how its going to affect you until you try it.

I was on Tramadol for 5 yrs and never had any highs from it and never had any withdrawals problems, maybe i was lucky :dunno: but again until you try it you dont know how it will affect you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication