[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Tramadol- advice please

Tramadol- advice please

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Tramadol- advice please

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm

I know that the pain I am experiencing now is not all due to FM and that I have in addition pain from arthritis and an old disc injury, which was bulging but, in lieu of the formal MRI findings, has clearly slipped and gone awol and found my sciatic nerve and now my pain is that from a slipped disc and sciatica as well as the spams, arthritis and FM. So I do know the causes of my pains and what I was referring to was the original poster or other posters who feel they need a drug like tram to cope with FM pain. My question is that could FM pain on its own, in isolation, be just cause to prescribe such a dicey drug as tram because I do have pain and spams from FM and I am also pretty sure that the spasms are stress related and so therefore can also be directly linked back to FM, plus the spasms can cause my body horrendous injuries so I do understand the need to medicate FM is well justified...... what my question to all of the people reading this is... if you need tram is there a chance that there are other related or even unrelated conditions that have not been investigated and diagnosed that may cause you pain?
Regarding tram, I have said as much as I can say.... except...
Tram is synthetic, morphine is not.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 pm

After nearly 20 years of being tested, examined, x~rayed, scanned incl 4 MRIs, retested, re~examined, re~x~rayed, I'm pretty sure that if there were something else responsible for the pain I experience each day, then it would have been discovered. Old injury/operation sites for a sublux and fracture of C6 and the resulting fusion op I underwent have been checked, doubled checked, rechecked again then looked at just once more to be certain that they aren't causing additional problems, incl my hip where bone for the graft was removed and absolutely nothing else shows up. So in my case, I think the pain I feel due to FM is more than sufficient cause for me to be taking Tramadol.

Even tho it is synthetic, for some of us, having it as part of our cocktail means that we are able to achieve a little more functionality. And altho morphine is natural, that doesn't mean it will be more suitable. For some it could cause problems that they might not experience on Tramadol as we are all so very different in how we react to meds, as well as how we are affected by FM. And because of that, we each need to find the combo of meds/treatments that helps makes things that touch more comfortable that we are all searching for.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby picola » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 am

Hi there Ribbons Rabbit,
I have been on tramadol and codiene plus pregabalin for 2 years with my fibro. I have lost my short term memory and have cognitive difficulties now although I was previously well educated post grad. I have just come off 1 tramadol and 1 codiene this last week and I really thought I was going to die. I was unable to regulate my temperature at all and was hallucinating for about 4 days mainly at nights. Im still on quite a bit but now I so much want to be off it. My pain is worse but... My brain feels clearer and memory its a bit hard to tell yet but I feel I am able to remember things...perhaps wishful thinking. The pills were good and helped my pain when I was on them but I didnt ever feel 'high'. I hope this helps in some small way. Please be very careful with these meds. I am going to ask my dr for some alternatives to morphine based meds because if they cause me this much distress coming off them I wonder what they are doing to me on a daily basis. My young son (14) is begging me to come off them now hes seen me in such ill health. I wish you best of luck, X
picola
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 pm

I did not mean to say you was lying and I am sure you have had every test going but .........
hell, I have said enough...
if people want to take the stuff, take it....
Good luck when you dont want to take it any more is all I can say and as the poster before just perfectly illustrated..... enough said.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Each of us has our own path to walk regarding FM ...the pain , its effect and the meds we choose to take for it. We seek medical advice when we can and I'm sure most of us are responsible enough to make an informed choice once we get advice and or research it in our own right.

As regards tramadol you have one view regarding its use as a treatment option. I as a current user have another. I was in excrutiating pain that even high levels of transdermal analgesia patches could not curtail . Although tramadol will link into the same pain receptors there was just enough difference chemical between the two drugs for the Tramadol to have a positive effect. I am now able to monitor how much of the drug I use and ammend it as necessary something I couldn't do with the transdermal patch.

I think all of us know that we are dealing with very complex and high level drugs when you get to the more painful end of the FM spectrum none of which are with out risk of side effect .

I do not consistantly take the max amount I have been prescribed but tend to try for the minimum dose that will take the pain to a level I can cope with , on days when I don't need it ,I don't take it although I will admit they are few and far between.

As you say in your last post "if people want to take the stuff,take it....." I do with a clear concious as it allows me to function at a better level that I would should I not take it . It has given me back part of my life that I thought had gone forever.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby lolo73 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I can do without my Tramadol quite happily but I would need to substitute it for something else. When I was pregnant (twice) I stopped taking it straight away and never had a problem with dependency. I titrate my own dose, and some days take a lot less than other days, again it is my pain levels that dictate my usage not my body craving it. I do occasionally get high if I take the full 400mgs, but then it is that or be in pain. Having been around the block a few times with my pain relief meds I know Tramadol gives me the best pain relief without going onto morphine itself.
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 am

Not long got the results of my MRI scan and it seems that a disc in my spine exploded.
Would I take tram? Nope. Never. Tried morphine and so far all thats done is give me a headache and made me itch all over.
So, I am kinda glad to hear some people have done okay with tram but of the three people I know who took it, two almost died and the other felt so unwell that person would not take it again.
If it walks like a duck and quacks ike a duck.... I aint swallowing.
Let me be very positive in advocating TENs machines.
WONDERFUL THINGS! :o)
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication