[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline and sleepyness

Amitriptyline and sleepyness

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline and sleepyness

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 pm

I have been put on Amitriptyline about 3 weeks ago, initially 10mgs then upped to 20mgs after 2 weeks. So a week in on the 2omgs I am like a zombie, over the long bank hol weekend I was awake about 5 hours a day, so asleep for around 19 hours a day. I have young kids and a very supportive husband but I can't live like this much longer. I have basically spent the day lying on the sofa, with the kids watching a DVD (grandparents were here in the morning), I can't even be bothered going to the kitchen to get a drink.

My other meds are tramadol 200-400mgs, Arcoxia 60mgs, metformin 1500mgs and vit D3. Anyone had any experience? Please tell me it gets better. Not sure if it is relevant, I have never been able to drink alcohol, I get very drunk very easily x
:sleep:
lolo73
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline and sleepyness

Postby sue dowling » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 pm

hi there it does get better hun xx u just got to get them in your system took about 2 months for me i take fluoxatine metformin clicklaside statins 30mgs ov amitriptiline n if i dont take them im hell ov a lot worse hope this puts your mind at ease xx sue ;-)
sue dowling
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazza65 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 pm

i've been on amitripyline for 2mths now i take 20mg at night only and find that its fine. But other people i no have been taking it on a morning and been like a Zombie...

I don't know how you take your but try taking it on a night. I also take mst continus 15mg at morning and lunch and then 30mg at night also take pregablin of 200mg three times a day with the 20 mg Amitriptyline at night. And when my pain is really really bad i have oramorph to top up on.

Hope this is of some use to you. xx
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Aliscat64 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 am

Hello
just wanted to say take it slowly!

I am VERY sensitive to all drugs and its a challenge to take anything :(

I started amytrip last october and break a 10mg in half or bits! I took half for about 3 months then ive took roughly 3/4 for a month or two and Im almost up to the full 10mg. I also take it at about 7pm so it relaxes me for when I go to bed. i know its not the ideal dose but doing it this way I get some benefit and cope with work. tramadol is a very strong opiate too reknowned for drowsiness do you take them together?

I know i dont have FMS as bad as some people [ I live on paracetamol/ibuprofen or naproxen] but hope this might help, have you ever discussed with the pharmacist what the best order to take your tablets is? there might be a way to pace them?
Aliscat64
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm

I have discussed with the pharmacist, she was only concerned about the palpitations I have been having, but they have stopped now. I got my hospital letter today and it says I have to increase the amitriptyline to 75mgs and add citralopram 60mgs, arrggghhhh. I know I can refuse but it worries me they will think I am a non compliant patient.
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 pm

We each need our own suitable dosage of meds, and to get there needs to be done steadily to make sure all is OK at each point before you increase to the next one. And whilst quite a lot of us take 2 different anti~d's, not everyone does. Plus, the dosage for the citalopram that has been suggested may need checking as there have been a few mentions of it being linked to potential heart problems, esp when certain other meds are being taken. I was on it, got to 50mgs and was just starting to feel some benefits from it when I had to go back to see my GP as notification had come thru about patients that were on higher dosages being at potentially more of a risk of heart problems. The thing that flagged me up was being on Tramadol, so it might be worth seeing what your GP has to say about it.

The amitriptyline usually takes about a month to fully get into your system and take effect, so hopefully you will be close to that point very soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: To help with the morning~after zombification, you could try a bit of twiddling with the time you take them at night. For some, taking them a couple of hours or so before they go to bed can help, as can taking them about 12 hours before you will be getting up the next day.

Try not to think about being a non~compliant patient, instead try to think about finding the right cocktail for you to make things a little more manageable and livable for yourself.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication