[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - vitamin D

vitamin D

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

vitamin D

Postby latmaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 am

just had the copy letter from the rheumatologist confirming the fibro. as she knows i cant take amitrptiline or pregablin her only suggestions are to take 1000mg Viamin D and to continue swimming (something i have done 3times a week for years - when i can)

does anyone else take Vitamin D? does it help? do u get it from your dr or online somewhere?

also she said 1000mg but all i can find is 400iu and i have no idea how u convert from one to the other.

thanks
latmaz
UKFM Member

Re: vitamin D

Postby Graygirl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 am

My vitamin D levels are very low, and my GP has prescribed Fultium-D3 800 IU Capsules (also known as Colecalciferol 800 IU). I take two capsules every morning, so I get 1600 IU. I have Osteopenia, so it's important to keep my calcium levels up, especially as I'm allergic to dairy produce. I eat ewe's milk cheese, almonds, and seaweed (which I chop up and put on my daily salads). Hope this helps. xxx
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby CarlyJayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am

Hi there,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVit-ECO-PACK ... 51aa33e65a

I ordered these - turbo vit D...they seem to be doing the trick!

xx
CarlyJayne
UKFM Newbie

Postby PennyJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 am

My GP suggested a Vitamin D level should be checked and it was very low and all they suggested was to buy over the counter supplement. So,I am at the moment taking Vitamin D3 25mcg and have only been taking them for a couple of weeks so probably won't notice the change just yet,that is of course it does have any effect..Will let you know..P.
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

When my Rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibro she did blood tests and my Vit D was very low. Seems this is very common with Fibro. She wrote to my Dr and they phoned me to pick up a prescription. I am on Adcal-D3 200iu, 2 twice a day (800iu daily). It is on my repeat prescription so I dont have to pay for it as I dont pay for prescriptions due to having an underactive thyroid. It has done nothing to help with pain though, not sure why it would be prescribed for pain.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 pm

It might be worth seeing your GP about this recommendation before you start taking anything to see what levels you have in your system. Altho it is very rare, having excessive levels of Vitamn D in your body can be a potentially serious condition.

It usually comes about by taking extremely high doses of the supplement, which is why talking to your GP about it before you start anything is a wise move as they should be able to tell you the right level you need to take.

The main issue with Vitamin D Toxicity is the build up of calcium in the blood system which can cause sysmptoms including poor appetite, nausea and vomitting. Weakness, the need to pass water much more frequently, and kidney problems can also occur. Treatment includes stopping taking the excessive doses of the supplement, and depending on how someone is affected, intravenous fluids may be needed and/or additional medications.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi latmaz

When I saw my rehumy last year and got my official diagnosis, he'd conducted some blood tests to check everything was all ok and found my vitamin D levels were seriously low.

When I saw my GP about this he said that sometimes low vitamin D can amplify pain so he put me on some vitamin d chewable tablets for a few months and I had to have regular blood tests to make sure my levels built up.

Once he was happy with my levels he said I could stop taking them, but now I have started taking a magnesium/calcium/vitamin D tablet to help build me up (checked with the pharmacist who knows me really well first)

I didn't notice any improvement in my pain levels either once my Vitamin D levels were up but it was worth a shot.

best to see your GP first as he will have copies of what the Rheumy has said and will make some recomendations as to what to take.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby lolo73 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 pm

You can buy 1000iu vit D3 tabs in the herbalist. I have been put onto calcium/D3 supplement too but previously I bought them in the herbalist. :-)
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

sorry i didnt get back before but didnt get notifications of repies for some reason

thanks all for your very useful advice, am due to see dr in 2 weeks so will talk to him about this then. hopefully he will prescribe something as i also get free prescriptions. it would help as due to my benefits being removed we are beyond broke

in the meantime will sit in the sun to up my levels lol
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby jovigirl69 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 am

I saw my doctor on Tuesday for blood test results and my vitamin D was practically non existent. Apparently in the last 6-9 months they have found that arthritis and fibromyalgia sufferers tend to have low vitamin D levels so I am now taking Adcal-D3 750mg/200 I.U plus iron tablets because I'm anaemic again. Doctor did ssy that things might improve but he couldn't guarantee it.
jovigirl69
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 am

spoke to my dr and they are putting it on prescription for me. they are trying to get hold of the consultant to see which one she wants me on so i hope to hear next week and then i can start it

fingers crossed it helps us
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 am

Been taking 25mg of Vit D for 6 months now, and I get a lot of exposure to the sun, eat lots of mushrooms, etc etc. No discernible effect on pain levels, but to be fair I haven't been tested to see what my levels are like
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

i was taking vitamin D supplements, just ones from Holland and Barrats, then i had my vitamin d level blood test checked and I was actually 106nmol, which I think is quite high? Doctor said I didnt need to take any D supplements...am I one of the only ones who does not have deficiency? My calcium was also high
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication