[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - amytriptaline side effects

amytriptaline side effects

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

amytriptaline side effects

Postby MrsSizer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi everyone, I've been on 25mg amytriptaline for around 6 weeks for nerve pain alongside 600mg pregabalin. I've noticed some side effects that I think may be the amytriptaline but just wanted to check with someone. The weight gain is the obvious one that I think a lot of people have but I am also having a lot of wind both trapped and the untrapped kind! Its not very pleasant especially at work when I'm trying to be professional! I'm also really struggling to wake myself up in the morning. For work I'm struggling through but it takes a lot for my hubby to manage to get me oout of bed. At the weekend if I have no reason to be up I'm sleeping past midday like a teenager! I wouldn't mind if I felt well rested but I'm still exhausted! I don't know if there's anything I can do to help with either of these? I'm seeing my GP for a review next week so may be able to review the dosage or anything else then.

Thanks
MrsSizer
UKFM Newbie

Re: amytriptaline side effects

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm

The weight gain may also be linked to the Pregabalin as well as the amis. Had a look on a few different places for side effects for both amis and Pregabalin, and whilst flatulence is listed as one for Pregabalin, it doesn't say anything about it being one for the amis, but that doesn't mean that it might not be having an effect on this as we all tend to react rather differently to meds. Have you made any recent changes to your regular diet that could be adding to the additional wind you're experiencing???

It's always worth mentioning anything new, or that has changed, or that is just generally giving you cause for concern to your GP, just in case there is something else at work, so bringing it up at your next appt is a good idea. In the mean time, have you tried any of the OTC treatments/remedies for it?? A word with a friendly, neighbourhood pharmacist might help with finding something to make things a little less breezy until you have spoken to your GP.

The weight gain is a real pain in the :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: for most of us. As well as amis, pregabalin can add to weight gain, as can other meds that we may take. We're still trying to find the best way to combat and deal with this particularly nasty one. The general advice is to try and eat as well/sensibly as you can with the focus being on the healthier proteins whilst trying to find the right balance of everything else to try and stop things going up any further.

As for the morning~after zombificationess, some have found that taking amis a different times can help reduce its impact. The times could be a couple of hours before you go to bed, 12 hours before you will be getting up, or even around the time you will be eating your evening meal, as you can still benefit from their effect on sleep as well as finding getting up the following morning a lot less gruelling. It's a case of trying different times for a while to see what seems to suit you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Dragonlord » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I think you'll find both the weight gain and the wind issue to be side effects of the Pregabalin. I too am on 600mg of Pregabalin daily along with Nortriptiline (instead of Amytriptaline) along with a few others such as Zomorph. The weight gain is a classic Pregabalin side effect, the wind however is more of a sensitive issue. I can only speak for myself, yet suspect many can relate, My wind is scentless for 98% of the time, and can be quite prolonged when released. Awkward, but not unmanageable once you accept that this problem is here to stay. You'll just have to work out your own coping strategies for your timing for releasing. Sorry I haven't been much use, but I can empathise. :yikes:

As for never feeling refreshed after sleeping, that too is fybro's fault. The expression of "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" comes to mind.
Dragonlord
UKFM Newbie

Postby RHT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Ah the dreaded amytrip!! Had it for the past four years, 100mg,per day. I wish I could get rid. Juggling with duloxetine and gabapentin as well as naproxen and other stuff!! Also have the dreaded wind, is so embarrassing and "not sexy". for f**ks sake, why do we need this on top of everything else we have to cope with? At last I think I've solved the problem of the weight gain and have been so regimental, losing a stone in two weeks. ONLY because I've been so strict. Basically, I'm no help love, we all have to work it out ourselves! Bitter? Yes quite possibly...good luck xx
RHT
UKFM Newbie

Postby MrsSizer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Lol at least the wind isn't just me, yeah I have enough trouble trying to be sexy while I'm wobbling around on my legs and falling asleep without the flatulence too!! I've been on the pregabalin several years and the amis are new so that's why I think its the amis. I've been taking it when I go to bed so maybe I'll try them a few hours earlier and see if that helps.

The weight gain is mega frustrating, I lost over a stone after Xmas then my legs had a fit they put me on the amis and now I'm bigger than before! I'm being bridesmaid twice this year and I'd really like to not be the fat one!!
MrsSizer
UKFM Newbie

Postby lucybythsea » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm

I found that Amitrip. helped with sleep and nerve pain initially, but then after a few weeks it made the quality of my sleep alot worse. I was told by a doctor that this can happen sometimes with Amitrip. I wouldnt recommend this drug personallly. :)
Hello, Im 30 and have severe fibro. Come check out my blog: http://www.fibrofandango.wordpress.com
lucybythsea
UKFM Member

Postby Jae » Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 am

I took these for a while but found they made part of my face go numb. The numbness gradually increased over time and it actually took a while for me to notice, so for anyone taking these, I'd keep an eye out for that.
Jae
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication