[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - FM and Acupuncture...

FM and Acupuncture...

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM and Acupuncture...

Postby jumpingjax » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi, I am a new user and have just been told I have FM. Can anybody tell me if they have tried acupuncture as a treatment and if so, is it worth giving it a go? My consultant hasn't discussed any treatment other than prescribe Lyrica. I am a bit anxious about taking these as I have read so many horror stories. Any advice gratefully recieved. Thank, Jax
jumpingjax
UKFM Member

FM and Acupuncture...

Postby lrgatrell88 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi ya. I have acupuncture through the local pain clinic. I find it really helpful but everyone differs.
I personally didn't react well to the meds etc so was finally referred for acupuncture. I'm now not on any meds except the occasional paracetamol or cocodamol.
I pay privately for mine every 2 weeks and then go to the pain clinic for acupuncture every 6 weeks.
The one thing I'd say would be to make sure you have a reputable acupuncturist. I see the lady that does mine at the hospital! Hope this helps. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Re: FM and Acupuncture...

Postby jumpingjax » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 am

Hello, Thank you so much for the reply. It was really helpful and positive. I am really reluctant to start taking the Lyrica as I already take Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. I will certainly find an acupucturist and try that first. Jax :-D
jumpingjax
UKFM Member

FM and Acupuncture...

Postby lrgatrell88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:49 am

Try asking your doctors to recommend one or the local hospital. As preferably you need someone who understands fibromyalgia doing it and not a Chinese acupuncturist etc. good luck :-). Let me know how it goes. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

:welcome: to the forum jumpingjax :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear you've been given the FM card :( :( :( Hopefully, by joining us, you'll find out more about your condition and how you are affected as well as finding ways to help manage the stuff it throws at us along the way.

With FM, when it comes to meds and treatments, what may help some may not help another, so the best thing I've found is to try and keep an open mind about things and give them a good go to see if they help you. As well as acupuncture, physio can help some, as can hydrotherapy. If you talk to your GP, they should be able to tell you what is available in your area and arrange referrals/tell you what you need to do to access them.

WRT meds, there are various types used in trying to manage FM, from simple painkillers thru to anti~depressants that have also been found to help with sleep and pain problems, this linky tells you more about them http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx There are nightmare/horror stories for pretty much every med available if you look far enough into things. However, there are also lots of stories about the benefits and positive effects of meds as well. And your concerns about adding an additional med to what you already take are something that most of us have had at times, usually at the start of things. This is where the open mind approach can help as the only way to find if something will make a difference to you is to give it a go. If it doesn't help, then something else can be tried, but on the flip side, it could be something that makes a magical difference to you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

As well as talking to your GP about treatments, you could also ask about other meds to see what might be suitable for you to try. It's not that unusual to end up with a cocktail of things to help you get thru the FibroDays. If you have a read around some of the posts you'll find that we are on quite a variety of things between us.

Anything else thaat you want to know about, all you need to do is ask as it usually doesn't take too long for someone to :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: with a reply for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jumpingjax » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 am

Hello again everybody, Thank you all for all the replies, suggestions and advice. It's nice to know that there are lots of alternatives to just medication. I have found an acupuncturist at a nearby hospital and she is willing to see me this week, so fingers crossed it's a good result. I don't feel that my FM is bad enough for strong meds yet (apart from when its driving me nuts and I want to rip my arms and legs off)!!! I'll keep you posted on the outcome and thanks once again. Jax
jumpingjax
UKFM Member

FM and Acupuncture...

Postby lrgatrell88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 am

altho i have only recently been diagnosed with FM i have had osteo arthritis for a long time. i have been having acupuncture for over 10 years and i credit it with allowing me to still walk!!

recently i have had 6 sessions at the NHS hospital to help with the pain in my arms and it helped a lot with de-sensitizing the area and allowing me to use my arms a little. i have now been referred to long term acupuncture also at the NHS hospital.

like someone else i pay privately as well and luckily my acupuncturist is also a chiropractor and gives me ultrasound as well. its a godsend to me and as i say i wouldnt be walking without it. ok it doesnt completely remove the symptoms (what does!!) but it helps when they are overwhelming

hope yours helps in some way and u get benefit from it, i thouroughly recommend it
latmaz
UKFM Member

Postby jumpingjax » Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Hello everyone,

Just thougth I'd give you all an update on the acupuncture....

I have been twice since I first posted, the first time was ok and I only felt a little discomfort from a couple of the needles, she also manipulated my neck and head. After my first treatment I was very tired and a little sore, the next day I had a headache (haven't had a hum dinger like that for a while) but generally I felt ok. She did warn me that my symptoms might flare up after my treatment.

I had my second treatment today and she told me my FM was much more active today (I did feel pretty rough before I went), my body was so sensitive today that evey single needle hurt. She also did some ultrasound on my knee, elbow and back and I have to say that was absolutley great, especially my knee and elbow as I was really suffering with them.

I am going to continue with the acupuncture and the ultrasound. It's a bit pricey as I am going twice a week for the first few weeks, but I do feel I am doing something positive about it. My husband is being really supportive too, as he is as relieved as I was to finally get a diagnosis after so long.

As I am pretty new to the site I will do a 'hello' post shortly, meanwhile I will let you know how things progress.

Jax
jumpingjax
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 pm

jax glad to hear its going well

i think when i started i went about 3 times a week, this gradually slowed down to approx 1 a month (depending on how bad i am) sometimes even a bit longer.
latmaz
UKFM Member

FM and Acupuncture...

Postby lrgatrell88 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Glad it's going well for u. Sometimes I find the needles painful. I had acupuncture yesterday and shattered today but still hobbling slightly less than I was. :-). X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication