[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Is it true about weight gain with nearly all FMS meds?

Is it true about weight gain with nearly all FMS meds?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is it true about weight gain with nearly all FMS meds?

Postby cocobella » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I am still very new to this forum and am finding it really useful. It is great to have a place where we can all share information etc as I find support as a fibro sufferer in my local area/community is limited/non existant.

I am 26 was diagnosed in February with fibro. I was put on 900mg Gabapentin, 40mg Duloxetine, 10mg Amitryptaline and also have to take Futilum D3 tablets as I am vitamin D deficient (for some ODD reason, because I am a sun worshipper and always have been, however I do live in Scotland lol).

There are probably past posts on medication and weight gain, however I am seeking an up to date answer. Are there any fibro sufferers out there who feel they have gained weight with the medication they are taking?

Since November last year I have gained an extra 2 stone!!!!!!! Which I couldn't afford to gain. I did have a bad relapse of symptoms through November to Feb and was undiagnosed until February. I was really inactive and eating the wrong foods. However with this weight gain I am now the heaviest I have ever been and people are noticing!!!!!

I feel like my face has plumped out so much it looks like a moon!!! lol. I have also ended up with horrible purple stretch marks all over my stomach similiar to pregnancy stretch marks which i find reallly unusual as I barely had any stretch marks etc before. I was 10 stone two years ago and I am 5ft 6 therefore I was a perfect weight, felt great and new my clothes looked good on me. I am now 14 stone 8!!!! :( this really upsets me. I have been trying to do weight watchers and am losing like 1/2 a pound each week. Even though I am walking each day, back to work and eating a LOT less. I just don't get it and am wondering is it the meds I am on?? They help my condition so much that I also cant afford to come off them. It's so frustrating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coco
cocobella
UKFM Member

Re: Is it true about weight gain with nearly all FMS meds?

Postby susanasilva » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi there,
yes, it's true. Medication makes you gain weight, I'm going through that process now.

I've dropped all the medication and though the pain increased a lot, I'm less depressive and dropped a lot of weight.
I noticed that the medication made me walk slowly, not wanting to see or talk to anyone. I had all types of vitamin deficiency but I feel that I can't keep on taking medication and vitamins, as this is only treating the symptoms and not what causes them. Eat the right food instead.

Eat a lot of vegetables, and go for water therapy, I find it very helpful. Water is wonderful and relaxes much more than any medication.

This is only my opinion, I can only speak for myself and, each person is different.

I live in London and, believe me, support is not there also.
Fibro, It's a daily battle that no one understands.

Take care and keep fighting
susanasilva
UKFM Newbie

Postby WendyAitkenhead » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm

You are not alone - I too put on a lot of weight through my meds. I went back to my Docs as all they were doing was weight gain, and no pain relief and am just about to try a different meds. Unless your meds are working, go back to your doc to seek advice
WendyAitkenhead
UKFM Newbie

Postby Debz7172 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm

I must be odd, I'm the other way! Use fentanyl and its totally killed my appetite, also on Dosulepin and gabapentin! Plays me up because I'm also a diabetic with an under active thyroid!! I've lost a stone since starting the fentanyl. I must be the odd one out! The ones out there that have weight gain make sure you check it out with your gp just in case its not caused by anything else, ie thyroid probs etc! From your symptoms I would definitely say discuss it with your doc and tell him how its making you feel psychologically, it doesn't sound like your usual weight gain due to med side effect! Hopefully you have a reasonably nice GP, don't be afraid to persist with him/her to try and get some results, easier said than done I know!!

Good luck. Xx
Debz7172
UKFM Member

Postby sheila300 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi. I have a weight problem since I've been diagnosed with FM. Last year I went to Slimming World and lost over a stone, but, unfortunately I still had the large belly. Not a good look with skinny arms and legs.
I was then told my large tummy was due to the complaint (FM), rather than the medication, but I wonder if it's a mixture of both.
(I take amitriptyline and tramadol).
What do you guys think? I'm so confused by it all. :yikes:
sheila300
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi,

I have recently changed from taking Dosulepin and Fluoxetine to Duloxetine and have found that my appetite has DECREASED and although I have not lost much weight, neither have I gained any.

I also take Tramadol, Nefopam, Naproxen and Omeprazole but these I was taking before I changed to Duloxetine, so the loss of appetite can't be due to them. It might be because Duloxetine is a SSNRI (Selective Serotonin & Norepinephrine Reuptake inhibitor) which alters the balance of chemicals in the brain and therefore may affect the area related to appetite!

Don't know whether that helps but seems to work for me... :-D
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby xxfibeexx » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Pregabalin is the newer version of gaberpentin and has less side effects
xxfibeexx
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 pm

hi, im the opposit i take amatryp tramadol celerbrex and paracetomol for pain ect,

im also on a few other meds for diffrent (conected) conditions and i keep losing wieght i did manage to get to 8st 6 but it started dropping again noe back to 8 2,

i dont know the reason as everything has been checked out.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:45 pm

See your Dr. It could be something else causing weight gain

I use Fentanyl and wellbutrin as my main medications. I also take thyroid medication (no thyroid).

I lost weight when I started both the fentanyl and wellbutrin. The only time I gain weight now is through my being too lazy, if I don't
go for a bit of a walk each day.

Our bodies and metabolism are all different so it would make sense that we all react differently to meds. If anyone gains or loses . weight without a lifestyle change then they should definitely talk to their Dr...
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby cocobella » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks everyone. It seems as though we are all different and the meds affect us differently. 'whoami' - I spoke with my GP yesterday and he said he thinks the reason I have put on weight is because I have been so inactive for the past 3 months and obviously I was just scoffing all the wrong foods. I do eat a healthy diet and love my fruit & veg but the thing is at times I was eating cupcake here cupcake there because I would think 'I need cheering up today lol' and a cupcake could do that however it was very short lived lol!! I have a multi nodular goitre (swollen thyroid with nodules inside) and have had ALL the thyroid function/antibody tests etc repeated over the past 2 years and all keep coming back normal. I had a biopsy on my thyroid in feb and it was benign. I have to go for my second biopsy next month. MY father had to get a complete thyroidectomy at 18, due to having a huge goitre and they were questioning if some of the nodules were cancerous. Sometimes I find myself getting really paranoid and thinking maybe one of the smaller nodules are cancerous and maybe that is why I am in so much pain, as they only seem to biopsy "one big" nodule. The doc said my thyroid function would not be causing weight gain though, I also got testing for cushings syndrome in feb (I was mortified because I thought - "I'm not THAT big") however the test was negative. I think the main reason for my weight gain is due to being "disabled" majority of the time.

I am back to work now, however I have had to use my walking stick a few times which is soul destroying at 26. I also have dogs, and soem days I get out with them twice a day and I will suffer greatly for it the next day as my legs ache!! It is the type of ache I used to get from running for 20 minutes back when I was fit!!!!!

Sorry this post has been a "me, me me me" post, I am just feeling really fat/obese/gross lol
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am

Come and join me in the sulky corner and enjoy some Cyber [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] guaranteed not to cause migraines, rot your teeth and not make you gain weight :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Whilst meds can add to weight gain, for me it also seems to be the huge change in levels of activity, even after all these years of FM~ness. Even tho I'm regularly walked by the doglet, I'm still nowhere near the levels I was at pre~FM. We've always eaten as healthily as we can, been careful with the :cake: [chocolate] type stuff as we can be and over time my appetite has definitely decreased. Whether this has been due to different meds or something else, I'm not sure :-? :-? :-? :-?

There is also a possibility that FM itself could trigger something in us that changes how quickly we can metabolise what we eat, be it good, bad or indifferent sorts of food, another of those areas that needs investigating and researching.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am

Cocobella......I am a little cofused about your Dr saying your thyroid function would not cause your weight gain. If you had an underactive thyroid it most certainly would. Does he test your free levels?

I will tell you my story and thyroid issue, My thyroid levels, the ones that your reg GP tests for were always fine. I got a small, pea size lump on the front of my neck. I left it a while and one time returning back from the UK I sat on the plane for 8 hours playing with it. I thought I had better have it looked at. I went to GP two days later. He looked at it and the next day I had an ultrasound. Two days later a biopsy. The following week, surgery for complete removal. I had three small tumors, pea size all cancer and my thyroid was full of microscopic cancer. I had follow up radiation treatment.
With a history of thyroid issues, make sure that your Dr does a complete test with the free levels checked.

Cocobella, don't get yourself in a state worrying about cancer. If for some unfair reason you did develop it, thyroid cancer is quite easily and successfully treated. Thyroid cancer would not put you in pain. If I hadn't sat and played with that lump on the plane, I likely wouldn't have had it checked. There were no other symptoms of thyroid issues. My levels were all fine, even on the testing I had done before the surgery, it came back normal.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby cocobella » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm

FluppyPuffy - Thank you for your cyber chocolate haha!! You are definitely correct about pre FM and post!! Activity levels are so low at the moment, however I was only recently diagnosed in February and seemed to have a "flare" for the last 4 months. It's so difficult because the sun has been shining, yes here in Scotland lol and when I finish work I want to go out walking but I sometimes think I am pushing myself too far!! and sometimes setting myself up to fail.

Whoami - You have frightened me!!!! lol. I have my thyroid stimulating hormone levels checked every 3 months (currently under Endocrine clinic at my nhs health board). I also had my Thyroid antibodies checked for hashimotos, I don't think I had the free levels checked, I am a bit clueless about this?! My mum, gran, great gran and their sisters ALL have underactive thyroids. My father doesn't have a thyroid now due to the thyroidectomy. Now I have this multinodular goitre and they are treating it as "normal". They did say I just had to have it biopsied every 6 months for 2 years to "keep an eye on it". I did have the ultrasound which revealed 13+ nodules, I was so upset because I was convinced it was cancer. I have pushed my GP a good few times and have just been told it is normal.

My parathyroid hormone was abnormally elevated 2 months ago - I then had my vitamin D levels checked and I was deficient, so my parathyroid was elevated for this reason. I find it all VERY complicated :( lol.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone again!! It is great getting responses from REAL people who have this horrid condition
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Cocobella, I hope you aren't frightened. It sounds like your Drs are doing things right as far as I know and that isn't a lot because I never had any previous issues. They certainly sound like they are doing the right tests. I have noticed at the cancer unit where I go that not many people with a goitre has had it become cancer. Your Dr's. are excellent that they are doing biopsies etc. I have been on thyroid sites where people are not getting the level of care you are. When I had my ultrasound they could tell it was cancer that was why things moved so quickly. I haven't heard of any of the others I have talked to be in the operating room in the same week as just going to their GP. You are in good hands. We have cancer in the family so I now suggest everyone gets things checked.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication