[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Lyrica and weight gain

Lyrica and weight gain

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lyrica and weight gain

Postby Lemonie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 pm

I have just started on Pregabalin (Lyrica) 50mg at night which I have been told to increase slowly until it helps my pain. Am not happy to read it can cause weight gain as I am currently trying to lose weight for my diabetes :( Has anybody been on this and lost weight.
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Re: Lyrica and weight gain

Postby whoami » Wed May 01, 2013 3:11 am

Lemonie, I have never taken Lyrica. The majority of people I know that have taken it gains weight.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby kazza65 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 am

i'm on 200mg three times a day i've been on it for nearly 12mth and i lost for 4st whilts taking it but i have had a bad relaspe and major surgery and not been able to as mobile i as i was so i've have gained about a stone but it coming back off more i can get going and stopping my self eating the rubbish that do gaine you your weight...

It does help with you pain once you get it in your system..

Good Luck xx
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby m_turner15 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 am

I was on it and I out loads of weight on. Had to go back to GP and say I needed something else. I'm now on 125mg of dolesulepin and I'm sure this is doing the same! Wonder if there is actually something out there for fibromyalgia that DOESN'T make you put weight on..... Although it shouldn't matter as long as you get relief from pain it depresses me and I feel like becoming a hermit :-(
m_turner15
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

I found that when I was put on wellbutrin I lost weight
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am

I think it varies from person~to~person Lemonie. And whilst it seems that lots of people tend to gain weight with it, it doesn't mean that it will be the same for you.

The only way you will really know what it will do to you is to give it a good try and see how things go. Then there is the amount of relief that the med might give you to be considered. It could make a huge difference to your symptoms but your weight remains constant or increases a little.....not an easy choice to make.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with things, whichever route you decide to follow :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Thu May 02, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Lemonie

I used to be on Pregablin (Lyrica) and I did find that I put on weight - not a lot but enough for me to be uncomfrotable with myself. I spoke to my GP as I was unhappy with it and he took me off it and put me on Gabapentin which I found much better as I didn't put on more weight with it as I did the pregablin.

But as Fluppy said not everyone suffers with the weight gain side effect. The one thing I will say is to at least give it a go as Fluppy said you don't know if this tablet will be the one which helps you manage your FM. Try and eat a healthy diet, maybe monitor your food intake and what you eat so if you do find yourself putting on a few pounds you can track whether it is the tablets or your diet.

:goodluck2: from me too Lemonie
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication