[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Group leader asking us to exchange medication.

Group leader asking us to exchange medication.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Grannypants » Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi, I am a member of a local group and the woman who runs it is asking members to bring in medication they don't need and giving it to others. I have told her there is no way I am going to do this as it is dangerous and illegal. She is a very aggressive woman and quite intimidating, though she doesn't intimidate me. What can I do about this other than leave?
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Re: Group leader asking us to exchange medication.

Postby Picklepudding » Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 pm

That's shocking! Could you just say that you haven't got any medication that you don't need? I can't believe someone has even suggested it!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby Grannypants » Mon May 06, 2013 12:19 pm

I have just refused point blank. I don't want to be responsible for someone becoming ill or possibly overdosing because they have either been given medication that counteracts with others they are already taking or worse, using them to overdose. I have now been dubbed a troublemaker which is fine by me, my conscience is clear.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby Gaia » Mon May 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I can hardly believe that woman would suggest such a thing! She obviously has no idea of the consequences of people taking someone else's medication :shock:

I would report her to your local health authority for a start and even the people she hires the hall/room to hold the meetings as well. Using someone else's medication could lead to all sorts of problems if other people have underlying health issues which may interact with medications. Totally and utterly frightening that people like that are in positions of trust :yikes:

Well done for taking a stand against her!
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 pm

In the UK it's not illegal to take someone else's meds, but it is illegal to be in possession of them without a valid prescription. If the person named on the prescription gives them to you, then they are committing an offence. And if you take them without permission then you are committing theft, regardless of any prescription medication laws.

With all prescription drugs, they must only be taken by someone if they have been diagnosed with a condition and the doctor has prescribed the meds for them. The concept of "plenty to spare" does not exist as the patient they're prescribed for will be given exactly what they're needed for a specific period.

Prescription~only meds are exactly that for very good reasons; not only is it bad to take it if it isn't needed, esp without regular clinical monitoring, but once on it, stopping taking it suddenly can cause all sorts of oter very unpleasant and serious problems, such as strong suicidal feelings. And a lot of the meds we take are unlikely to provide any quick relif as they often need a number of weeks of regular use before benefits may be experienced. Plus there are the potential side effects which vary from patient to patient.

As well as the legality of this, there is also the ethical and moral problems that this can cause, esp if a reaction to something turned out to be fatal.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Grannypants » Mon May 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank you all you have all said exactly what I thought. This woman is not only the group leader, she also holds another postition which I don't want to put on here. I will be contacting the relevant people ASAP.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 pm

as secretary of a support group, i'm shocked by this .... and agree with others re the legal/moral/ethical issues surrounding this ... not only could she be landing herself in trouble; but also other members of group. xxx
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby mumstheword1954 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 pm

I know we suffer from Fibrofog but this has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The woman is not on this planet, can you imagine if someone took something that didn't agree with them and they became terribly ill. She should be made to stand down for her gross mis-conduct.

Chris
mumstheword1954
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Please report her to whoever you feel should know, also if you have a local forum bring it up on there, it is totally unacceptable. If I gave someone amitriptyline and they got addicted and then their GP said no to prescribing it then they would be in a mess. It is wrong because meds interact and even as a qualified nurse I do not know about how my own meds interact so even I ask the pharmacist, this women is putting peoples lives in danger by her actions. Please do your best to stop her, she is out of control x :nono: :nono: :nono:
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Morgana » Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 pm

The woman is insane!

As the old joke goes "Go home, your village is missing its idiot!"

Report her before she kills someone

Mo x
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Postby whoami » Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 am

You should report this to your local police....they could send someone in undercover to the meetings. This woman is no better than the drug dealer selling drugs. I hope her "other position" is notified of her actions....I am appauled by this. Please!! Have this woman stopped.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 am

Some years ago I remember a whole local media outcry following an inquest after a woman gave her neighbour a Percription Only painkiller to help her when she had a migraine. Sad to say the woman who received the painkiller was on other meds and there was a reaction which caused the fatal results.
At her inquest, the coroner was very clear that you should only take pain medication that has been perscribed for yourself and never share medication with anyone else . I believe the poilce held the woman involved for questioning but she wasn't charged with anything but I'm sure every day she regretted her decision to try and help her neighbour and close friend.

This woman is totally ill advised and the consequences should be spelt out to others at the group before someone ends up in hospital or worse. :nono:

Good luck and well done for your stand.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Grannypants » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am

Thank you for all your replies. The relevant people have now been informed so hopefully something will be done soon.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am

Good for you , again well done on standing up to her
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication