Supplements for fatigue

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Supplements for fatigue

Postby Wackers34 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi everyone

Can anyone offer any advice on what supplements can help relieve fatigue during the day?

I have tried D-Ribose powder and this works pretty well, sometimes, however I was just wondering what other people do to combat this?

It always hits me around midday, I sometimes find it overwhelming.

Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Supplements for fatigue

Postby lolo73 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm

I would be interested in this too, after lunch is terrible for me then I pick up in the evening x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby PennyJ » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi there, I take Q10 Co-enzyme, I started off with a high dose about 200 mgm per day and slowly reduced it to 60 mgm. It certainly helped me and I did stop it for a month and all the old symptoms of tiredness and fibro fog came back, so decided that it was helping me.
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby bluebird123 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 pm

i used to take co-enzyme Q10 250mg x2 daily but couldnt afford to continue with them. a nutritionist suggested i try vitamin B12 and it has helped a lot and a lot cheaper than high dose of co enzyme Q10.
bluebird123
UKFM Newbie

Postby tessmcg2012 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm

I used to take a high dose of COQ10, but now take Tesco brand, which are quite cheap. Recently I started taking CherryActive Juice (30ml per day) and the fatigue is almost gone. really made a huge difference. Though pricey, I found it is cheapest on the nutrisun.co.uk website. Hope this helps
tessmcg2012
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 am

hi it was interesting to read the posts abouy fatique symptoms and there definitely seems to be a pattern when it can peake at lunch time and subside by teatime , with me its around 3 pm in the afternoon ,i am going to try the suggestions mentioned to see if they can make a difference ? apologies if im witering on :roll:
difly
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Tue May 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Wackers

I know that mid afternoon did oh so well, especially in this weather when it's so warm I feel sleepy most of the time lol. If I find myself nodding off during the day I tend to go out for a short walk for some fresh air and that usually helps me get through the rest of the day. I do this at work too, just go for a 5 min walk for a break and to clear my head.

I started taking these magnesium/vitamin c/calcium supplements a few weeks ago and have found my fatigue has improved since taking them. I have the Osteocare range you can get in Boots.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Betfred101 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm

I must say i have never heard of any of the other mentioned supplemants here. So i do not know how they would fair to what i take. I generally take the soluble high doses of Vitamin C. Similiar to Berocca actually, but generally you get around 20 tablets for £1-2.50 ish
Much cheaper, and I find they help mostly with getting cold/flu less often. They can on occasion help with fatigue also, but I dont like to take them every single day. :chicken-dance:
One thing I would like to point out though. I made the mistake of trying energy drinks and nearly got myself addicted to them. Don't do it whatever you do. Too much caffeine and lord knows what else is in them seriously does not do my Fibro much good. Would not be surprised if many of you have found yourselves having to cut down on coffee to actually help improve fatigue? Otherwise you find yourself too darn well awake when you want to sleep :yikes:
I know it sounds mad lol! Someone needs to take away my smilies :cup1:

Good Luck finding what helps though!
Betfred101
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks everyone

D-Ribose is excellent and can be bought in powder form...It is mainly for people with CFS. I wanted to see what else people tried and I hadn't thought of the COQ10 ...might give this a go next, wonder if it can mix with amirilyptine...Will ask doc
The cherryActive juice sounds like a great thing also...will pick some of this up

:-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi I'be been using Berroca, a high dose vit D3 and the Q10. Have to say my symptoms have improved and I seem to be getting longer periods of sleep.Not sure if due to supplements but it all seems more of a coincidence.
The lady in the health shop did recommend the sour cherry juice but it was very expensive so gave it a miss this time.
Good luck with what ever you choose. Let us know how you get on.:-)
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Wackers34 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm

hi all - just an update

Been taking the sour cherry juice for fatigue...not noticed difference as of yet.

I am wondering if my fatigue is worse because I am on Amitriptyline...is anyone else on this and some of these supplements together? Im wondering if i should come off the ami and try a more natural approach ..currently im on 30-40mg

My sleep is all over the place :o(

Has anyone else tried anything listed on this thread and found it has worked for the fatigue?
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby Pretzelnut » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:29 pm

I've been taking slow release vitamin b12 and I haven't noticed any change, in fact I feel more tired taking it.

I'm struggling at the minute swallowing tablets and some of them are huge so I may have to look into the powders.
Pretzelnut
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am

I've just started taking Q10 and B-vitamin complex as I have a busy couple of weeks ahead and since I'm doing quite well in this warm weather I figured an extra boost couldn't hurt. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who ONLY suffers with FM (mildly) and doesn't have any other separate or associated conditions, to see what they're taking, if anything, and whether it helps. I am not on any medication from GP and manage the pain mainly with Ibuprofen, paracetamol, moving a lot and sheer bloodymindedness. Cheers
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication