[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - MORPHINE MST AND OROMORPH

MORPHINE MST AND OROMORPH

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MORPHINE MST AND OROMORPH

Postby sknowles456 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Can anyone tell me whether 15ml (30mg) or oromorph is the same as taking 30mg MST morphine? I take oromorph three times a day but it isnt touching the spot and i wonder whether i would be better on the MST tablets, are they stronger?
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: MORPHINE MST AND OROMORPH

Postby shazq » Tue May 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi
A pharmacist will be able to tell you what the difference is.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby kazza65 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi Lisa

I've been on Mst for over a year now at 15mg morning 15 mg at Lunch/Afternoon and 30mg on an evening and i take 15ml of oramorph as and when required.

I also take Pregablin at 200mg three times a day aswell 50mg of amitrpylne,

Hope that of use to you

P.S and someday i need to take the oramorph three/ four times a day.
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Hi there,

I think I can help you with this one. Oramorph and MST are the same active drug (Morphine Sulphate) however MST and Oramorph are different things when it comes to active (not total) dosages. Oramorph is like a quick hit, its a liquid and designed to get into your system quicker and is better for breakthrough pain, it will come and go more quickly. MST spreads the dose across a period of time (12 hours approx) and is "slow release" if the dose is the same it will release about the same total dose but the peak levels in your system will be a lot lower for longer than Oramorph, and so it is better for chronic or constant pain. So if you want to know how much is in your system "now" the dosages can not really be compared. However when it comes to an Total dose of morphine sulphate you have had over say a 24hr period or 7 days etc you can add the total dosages together as "I've had a total dose of Xmg of morphine sulphate in 24 hours" say. This is my understanding, although check it with your pharmacist as I am not medically qualified to answer your question.

Now a lot of GP's don't under how to use this drug and it can lead to poor managment. Morphine Sulphate is an addictive drug, your body develops tolerance quickly and needs more of it to continue to have the same effect. Treating with Oramorph and MST increases your total intake faster and you have it in your system constantly as well (because of the slow release MST). My GP thought if she doubled the MST I would need half the Oramorph, this did not happen and I needed twice the Oramorph every time MST doubled. This led me from a starting dose of 10mg to an average daily intake of over 120mg a day. I let her up it twice then I had an argument with her as she had got me dependent on morphine, I refused another doubling of MST and told her to refer me to a Pain Management Consultant.

When I got to pain managment they told me my understanding was correct and my belief that it is dangerous to treat chronic pain and breakthrough pain with the two types of morphine at the same time is reckless was confirmed. EDIT: I am NOW (not,"not") morphine dependent, it took me over 6 months to bring my total down by 25%. The morphine also caused damage to my pituitary gland and my body stopped producing enough testosterone, I am now on testosterone replacement however we think we have caught it early enough to reverse the damage but only time will tell.

I hope I have managed to explain the differences in these two drugs for you. If not feel free to ask more questions and you must check with your pharmacist/doc as I am unqualified. But I wanted to tell you what taking both at the same time can do if not correctly managed. I don't want to scare you, morphine has its uses and if controlled closely and correctly it CAN really help and does work. I would just hate to see another person go through the same, withdrawal is like someone clicked there fingers and gave you a severe case of the flu instantly. Its not nice and morphine solves it leading to more and more and more very very quickly.

I wish you all the very best health
Anonymouse!
Last edited by anonymouse on Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks anonymouse that has explained it really well!
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication