[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Melatonin

Melatonin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Melatonin

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Has anyone tried melatonin for sleep?
Ive seen a few people mention it and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it and is it easy to get from a doctor? I forgot to ask my doctor about this today, but might mention it next time

Many thanks :-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Melatonin

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Found this linky that might be helpful http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages ... %20tablets

It seems to be prescribed for specific dx'd sleeping disorders, so I'm not sure whether FM would be included in it. The best thing to do is talk to your GP about it and see what they have to say.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tohorizon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I've experimented with melatonin for more restorative sleep in 2010 and come back to it two months ago because Amitriptyline stopped being effective. Would love to hear from others about their experiences!

My rheumatologist encouraged the experiments whereas my GP is skeptical. The rheumatologist pointed out that quality of products can make a huge difference and that I should keep trying out different brands. I don't do that at the moment.

Found several studies suggesting that melatonin can help with both restorative sleep and Fibro symptoms (google). Different dosages were used though, and sometimes combined with other supplements (Vit B6, Zinc); also the studies are comparatively few and no longer term than several months. As with most other Fibro treatments and supplements, individual experimentation seems the way to go.

What's also regularly suggested is that less is more with melatonin, and time-released melatonin is better. So I started with 300mcg time-released, taken before going to bed. Immediate positive effects: felt refreshed and well-rested in the morning, less brain fog, better concentration during the day; and felt more myself than when on Amitriptyline. Side effects: dizziness, nausea, and for 3-4 days raging headaches. I continued with this for three weeks. Side effects lessened, but I found myself getting really tired late afternoons and noticed increased tension (mainly in the head, sometimes allover the body).

In 2010 I found the experienced late afternoon tension and tiredness so unpleasant that I got off it again without experimenting more.

Recently I added 50mg 5htp (said to effect Serotonin levels) following advice from the book "The mood cure" (Ross, 2003). Since then side-effects from melatonin are gone, sleep is good, energy is good, Fibro symptoms are low. I do feel weird tension at times, somewhat on edge, and sometimes dizzy. A week ago I increased the melatonin to 1mg at bedtime, after reading more and more studies used 1-3 mg, not just 300mcg. That seems to make a positive difference.

I am a bit concerned about long-term effects, but will continue taking this for a while because I am really tired of trying prescription drugs that mainly cause me nightmares and hallucinations at night, and overall feeling not myself at all during the day.

In addition to melatonin and 5htp I take magnesium, magnesium malate, Vit D3, and a good multivitamin complex in the mornings. Those have proven helpful over the years. They don't seem to interfere with melatonin + 5htp.
tohorizon
UKFM Member

Postby tohorizon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Just a brief update: Went off the Melatonin a few days ago because side effects (headaches, tension, dizziness) increased and got too much. Tried out different doses, to no avail.
tohorizon
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication