Mitrazapine Anyone?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mitrazapine Anyone?

Postby Wackers34 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 am

Hi All

The doctor tried me on Mitrazapine a while ago only for a couple of weeks for extreme insomnia (before I knew I actually had fibro) It helped me sleep, but did nothing for my aches and pains.

Im thinking of going back on it as im currently on 30mg Amitrilyptine and it is not helping my sleep at all. But i think the Amitrilyptine might be helping my pains a bit. Im not sure which one to stick with..or even if both can be used?

Has anyone had any experience with Mitrazapine? Im not worried about weight gain as Im too skinny and need a few extra pounds :-)

Any experience with this I would love to hear about...Thanks
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Mitrazapine Anyone?

Postby shellyjean » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

hi. I would be very careful with this medication. I have been on it and it caused a huge weight gain. i put on over two stone when i was on it. I have found that a lot of meds that i have been prescribed increase weight, which is something we really want to avoid as its just another burden to carry around. I have stopped my pregabalin also and over the past 6 months i have lost nearly three stone. i have a lot of pain but i dont have to carry the extra pounds. seriously think about the mitrazapine before going back on them as the docotrs never think about the side affects that they all cause.
shellyjean
UKFM Newbie

Postby Wackers34 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks Shellyjean

I know about the weight gain...Im seriously underweight, to the point where my periods stopped....Even though I am eating a lot.

I could do with the weight gain...I haven't had one of them which has made me gain weight yet. I must be the only one! I have had problems with this my whole life though, but managed to have 2 kids. (Even this didnt work with weight gain)

Even though it caused this for you, did you find it a good med otherwise?

Im worried it might make my pains worse, but I love the way it makes me sleep..

Might check out this Alpha Stim thing though, as posted on the Facebook reply :o)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby chez1966 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Hey,
I take 45mg Mitrazapine and 200mg of Amitriptyline at nite and they work well for me.
I didn't know about the weight gain but it sure explains a lot. I've gained 3 stone and as I was already overweight this has pushed me into a terrible depression. I'm currently going to Slimming World and although i'm following the diet to the t, the weight is just not shifting and now I understand why..... back to the Doc I think...
chez1966
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication