[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - All Natural

All Natural

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

All Natural

Postby Wackers34 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:30 am

Has anyone gone all natural in treating their fibro symptoms?
I know some of these meds cause more problems than they are worth!

Im currently on 30mg amitrilyptine and co-codamol occasionally, but would like to do it naturally...maybe just alternate natural sleep meds to help with my sleep issues.

Can anyone give advice on how they have managed this and what was the outcome for their fibro symptoms?

Thanks
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: All Natural

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun May 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Popped you onto this board with yyou asking about alternative ways to try and treat FM Wackers, as it's a more suitable part of the forum. There are some who have found more natural/alternative/complimentary ways to manage their symptoms, but as with the pharmaceutical approach, it's a case of trial and error in finding what can help you. Plus even the more natural things can come with their own problems, side effects etc, so you'd still need to check out about any possible interactions, esp if you're still on any meds for other conditions/problems. This also includes meds that you may buy otc.

Maybe you could start by having a look thru this board to see what others have tried and see how they went on with them, or if you've come across the names of some natural treatments, try using the search box at the top right corner of each page to see what comes up.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with finding a suitable combo of things to help make you feel vaguely more huu~mon :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm

I use Ibuprofen on really bad days and that's it. But I don't have it bad and I don't have any other conditions to worry about, so I am not typical. Never tried any of the 'usual' drugs so can't compare.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Sorry I cant help as I am on a pharmacy full of medication, but I know some others have tried a wholly natural approach
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flash » Sun May 19, 2013 11:06 pm

The natural approach will also involve nutrition which includes avoiding certain things too. Some people find dropping wheat, gluten and/or dairy products help as these seem to be a main culprit for upsetting the digestion system which in turn can aggravate on going conditions.

For the time being though, things like lavender oil in your bath water or massaged around the temples or chamomile tea with honey are extra safe and have no contra-indications. Both are relaxing and may help towards getting a more restful night.

Good luck with your search/
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby dancerjules » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:41 am

Hiya,
I have a few non-drug things which help me and may be of use to you.

Bath with epsom salts (and anything else which may be relaxing - lavender, rosemary, etc) as well as the heat (moist heat seems to be best form for pain relief) your body also absorbs magnesium from the epsom salts which is good for muscle relaxation. On the subject of moist heat I also go to a local gym - not for the gym! - to use their jacuzzi and steam room. Costs me £35 a month off peak which is about as much as one massage and I can literally go every morning to get pain relief. When I'm feeling up to it I also swim as exercise helps blood flow to and from muscles to remove toxins and deliver nutrients - so important for us!

On recommendation of a fellow friend and sufferer I have just started taking Berrocca - though there are cheaper versions of the same thing as I've now discovered. She swears by it.

I also drink licorice and camomile tea as they have muscle relaxing qualities and for the same reason I include cayenne pepper and rosemary in my cooking and I take a ginger supplement as well as magnesium. For sleep I drink valerian tea.

Another god send for me is my percussion massager which is by Homedics and cost about £30. It has a long handle and the heads heat up as well as massage which is fab.

I use biofreeze to interrupt the pain signals when I'm trying to get to sleep but beware, it feels very cold so takes a bit of getting used to. There are cheaper versions but I don't find them as good. Also on holiday in Tenerife I recently found a fab new cream - Physiorelax Forte which is meant as a massage cream but has lots of fab natural ingredients which really help relax the muscles even without a massage. I bought several tubes but have since found you can get it online but it's not cheap.

I am currently using myself as a lab rat and trying out different herbal suppliments every few weeks to see if they help - at the moment I'm trying Horsetail, jury is out. Will post if I find anything works really well.
Best of luck! xx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
dancerjules
UKFM Newbie

All Natural

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm

I've found acupuncture really helpful. I know that some people don't but previous to acupuncture I was having lignocaine infusions and on butrans patches and still not able to move.

I have acupuncture though the local pain clinic so not just through anyone. One of the pain team also do acupuncture privately. It's costly at 35 pounds every 2 weeks but I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant so wouldn't be able to take any pain killers anyway so well worth it.

It's safe of you're going to be trying for a baby as long as they don't trigger certain points.

Apart from that I have a tens machine which helps

X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication