Update and advice on Oxycodone

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Update and advice on Oxycodone

Postby Betfred101 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 am

Hi peeps, so my last *update* if you will was basically me having had enough with doctors in general. I had decided up until a few weeks ago that I would just give up trying to find a real helpful pill or treatment to help my pain. I was taking soluble Co-codamol 30/500's and the occasional Clonazepam. It wasn't doing much to really help my pain, just basically trying my hardest with a hell of a lot of willpower to wake up in the mornings. My main problem is generally when I want to sleep I just hurt so much in my neck and shoulders that I can not get comfortable.
Anyways, I decided to go back to the docs and finally managed to get an appointment with my preferred GP. Who is the only one who actually ever helps and prescribed me the Clonazepam. I basically said I had been trying with my TENS machine and my current medication but I still wanted to know if she was able to think of something that would help and that I had not already tried.
She mentioned oxycodone and said it was on the same strength as morphine. Which I am a little skeptical of as I came down from MST (slow/extended release morphone) and oramorph (instant release morphine) to the codiene to begin with.
However I decided to try the oxynorm 5mg capsules which are an instant release. In the meantime slowly come off the co codamol and just take as needed. Fortunately my GP totally trusts me with my medication which is great. I'm mainly taking no more than 4x 5mg oxynorm with maybe 1 or 2 x 2 co codamol tablets.
So far I notice maybe a slight improvement I have real high hopes for this medicine. Ironically I had mentioned oxycodone before to a different GP who looked at me as if i was an addict and said something like. *No, we only prescribe that to patients with kidney trouble.*
So if anyone else like me has been on morphine and had trouble with it. Try asking your GP about this maybe? Of course it all acts different with different people.
I would also love to know if anyone else had a song and dance around many other medications before finding this one to be a great help?
I have no idea why so many doctors seem to have a problem with it or why a GP would even lie to not prescribe it.

God bless to everyone, hoping you each find your way to carry on with this sod that is Fibromyalgia. :goodluck1:
Betfred101
UKFM Member

Re: Update and advice on Oxycodone

Postby feedchick » Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 am

Hi there, I have been taking OxyContin for 6 years now and I take 100mg in the morning and night every 12 hours as they are a slow release tablet which are a type of morphine. I also take duloxteine, pregabalin, paracetamol and I have ketamine Infusions every 4 weeks. I used to take oxymoron so be careful because its easy to become addicted as that's what happened to me. I took 2 every four hours and if I didn't take them every four hours bang on I would get the shakes, I need to move my hands constantly and I wanted to punch or hurt people so obviously I got very concerned so was weened off them over a period of time. I still take all the other drugs but unfortunately I suffer with agonising pain and have done for 6 years but my doctors exact words were we ( meaning the doctors at the surgery) are worried that if we give you anything else you could overdose and die. He says that he's never met anyone that takes so many pills and is still able to hold a conversation he says I should be comatosed. I don't know how I'm going to cope with no more pain relief.
I'm glad you have found oxymoron and I hope it helps but just think about what I said and if you start getting the shakes or wanted to hit someone even if you are 5 mins late taking the pills then contact your doctor. These pills are known to be addicted. Good luck
Diana
feedchick
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazza65 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm

ALL I SAY IS IF YOUR USING OXCYCONE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT AS IT PUT ME IN A&E :( WITH A BAD REACTION TO IT.

I WAS BEEN SICK
I HAD DIAHORRA
UNCONTROL BOWELS
VERY HIGH TEMPERTURE
PALPATAIONS
AND I DIDN'T KNOW WERE I WAS

I FRIGHTENED MY CHILDREN TO DEATH AND THEY ARE 20 & 22

PLEASE PLEASE BECAREFUL.........................
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm

I took oxycontin years ago but found no comfort from them. I now take a medication that is 100 times more powerful than morphine. I have been on the same dose for over seven years.

When you take any narcotic you have to be very aware of the risks, symptoms of overdose etc. Problems with your bowels is a very common side effect and you will benefit from a laxative with a stool softener.

Good luck with whatever you take but be very careful.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Betfred101 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your warning me to be careful. However I read everything I can on all medications and its too late to be worried about becoming *addicted* now. I too had the *100 times* more powerful medication, I assume you mean Fentanyl. In the patch form as well as oramorph at the same time. I am only on the 5mg dose at the moment and I know I will never be completely pain free.
So I am as careful as I can be with my medication and my doctor is extremely helpful.
You should be aware that even with you having a bad reaction to medication. We all do react very differently, and every type of narcotic is sadly addictive. Also there is a difference between becoming addicted to a medication and being physically dependant. The latter is all but unavoidable, the former both a physical and mental dependency which rarely happens when medicines are taken as prescribed.
As I said I appreciate your replies but please don't assume that because somebody takes a medication they are going to become addicted.
Betfred101
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 am

Betfred......Yes I am on Fentanyl. I have been on 125 mcg for over seven years.

I agree with you about the addiction. Ou bodies become dependent on the drug but most of us do not become addicted. I have no understanding why people use this as a recreational, illegal use. I get no buzz, no feeling of a pleasure or a fantasy world. Fentanyl for me relieves the pain.

I had to stop taking it for a while and silly me misunderstood the Dr and I removed them . My body presented withdrawell but i do not consider myself addicted.

Fentanyl is what gives me a level of pain I can tollerate. We all do react differently to drugs. I can't take a simple advil without having issues but can take stronger drugs no problem . Betfred..I hope you don't think I was judgeing you in any way. We all deserve to b free pain free. Fibro will not be conrolled 100% so whatever works is great.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication