[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What meds next?

What meds next?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What meds next?

Postby Miss_Riot » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm

My GP has told me to go off and do the research and come back to him with suggestions for fibro meds.

So far I have tried

pregablin - still on it 300mg a day
Venlafaxine - up to max dosage
Duloxetine - up to max dosage
Codeine - still taking it up to max dosage but getting loads of side effects
Naltrexone - 4.5mg for 2 months and had no effect

What else can I try? I'm in a lot of pain all over, get migraines, plantar fasciitis, foggy, crappy balance, IBS flare ups all the time, and I fatigue so quickly! I can't take paracetamol and I need something stronger than codeine for the pain.
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Re: What meds next?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm

There are still numerous things to be tried in varying combos and different dosages to try and get some relief from FM.

Painkiller~wise there is Tramadol, Nefopam, and depending on just how bad you feel, morphine is given to some. Gabapentin is an alternative to Pregabalin, and sometimes, if one doesn't suit, the alternative might. Anti~d wise, amitriptyline and nortriptyline can help some, as can dosulepin and citalopram. Migraine~wise, betablockers can help to control them, and for when your head goes into full scale meltdown there are various meds called triptans that can help ease things, as well as Pizotifen. There are various anti~spasmodics that can help with IBS, as can peppermint based treatments. For the balance problems there is Buccastem, which can also help with migraines.

No doubt others will be along with additional suggestions that you can look into, then talk to your GP about their suitability for you to try.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: What meds next?

Postby djclall » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi Miss_Riot :wave:

Sorry to hear that your GP has advised you to go off and do some research for your meds!. To me it sounds like you are doing their job for the!. Thought you may appreciate some advice i have been given recently. And this comes from a pain medication nurse who has had years of experience both professional and personal.

I, like yourself, have also been on various medications. Ie; tramadol 400mg daily, gababpentin 300mg daily,ami between 10mg and 250mg daily, dosulepin 75mg daily. I have also been prescribed fentanyl 10mg-25mg every 7 days. Which was replaced by buprenorphinum 35mg in a cycle of 4 days and 3 days. This last pain patch was changed by my medication nurse as i was wrongly prescribed by my GP!. Mmm!.

Anyway, after meeting with my pain medication nurse just once, i was very shocked at what she said. Basically all of the above medication is a total waste of time as, her words, "no medication has been proved to have any affect on Fibromyalgia". As you can imagine i was very, very shocked by this. I asked her why in that case have i been put on such a cocktail of drugs?. And if i have caused any damage to my body because of these meds?. The long and short of it is luckily no damage has been done to my body apart from the effects of reducing the meds with a view to being taken off them completely for which i am in the process of now and also her words "some GP's do NOT know enough about fibro to know if any meds work in relieving the symptoms". I, it would seem, have one of them GP's. :scream-1:

As i said i am currently reducing the tramadol. I am now on 250mg daily. But she has increased my gabapentin to 900mg daily. On my first day of having the hugely increased dose of gabapentin i did in effect overdose myself after taking the 2nd dose of the day. Believe me it was not a pretty site neither was it funny. I was incoherent for nearly 3 days. All i did was sleep and vomit plus a very painful migraine to boot. But i did however speak to a pharmacist to rule out symptoms in case it was due to my migraine. The pharamacist did agree that it was not due to migraine.

Could you maybe ask your GP to refer you to a pain medication nurse?. Explain to him/her that you do not have any degrees in medicine so would prefer not to seek other pain relief options and seeing that he/she is also unable to help you that this might be the best route for you to take.

As i have said that the above quotes were given to me direct from the pain med nurse and may not be the same for everyone. I hope that you find my reply of some use and i wish you all the best in your finding the right path for a relativity pain free life.

Soft hugs :hugs: and good wishes. :goodluck2: xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication