[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Problems with nausea Duloxetine and Pregabalin

Problems with nausea Duloxetine and Pregabalin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problems with nausea Duloxetine and Pregabalin

Postby scouseproud » Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 am

Hi, I am currently taking Duloxetine and experiencing quite bad side effects including nausea (which I have been suffering with for years before meds). I am planning to come off duloxetine (easier said than done) and go onto Pregabalin. Does anyone know if the nausea side effects associated with pregabalin are as bad as duloxetine or other anti depressants? And also what is the difference between gabapentin and pregabalin. I realise there's quite a few questions in there that should probably be posted on different forums but I haven't really got the time or the energy so i just stuck them all in one. Hope somebody can help.

Best wishes,
Chris
scouseproud
UKFM Member

Re: Problems with nausea Duloxetine and Pregabalin

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Chris been Pregabalin for ayear and a half and still get times when I get nausea , (hate it ) but it was worse when titrating up the dose to my current 350mg perday. It not that high for pregabalin but couldn't cope with the side effects at a higher dosage.

Sorry I can't tell you if its better or worse than Duloxitine as I haven't been on it but just wanted you to know that you can get nausea but it can be controlled by Valoid or other anti nausea type meds.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Chris

We all tend to be sensitive towards the side affects of meds but everyone reacts differently.

Most meds can take up to 4 weeks to kick in and the side affects normally last for a couple of weeks.

Have you mentioned to your gp about your nausea as you have been suffering with it for years? your gp can give you anti sickness meds but that is normally if its the meds causing it. You might have acid reflux or something else so its best to get it checked out. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby anonymouse » Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 am

I used to get nausea when it was coming up to the time to take another dose of Pregabalin and I think I was on Duloxetine at the time as well. However the Duloxetine didn't cause any problems on its own. As another poster said we all tend to be a little sensitive to medications and also most drugs have nausea as a common side effect. Although saying that a side effect of one may not be related to another even if the side effect itself is the same, its very complicated down to statistical probability or a number of things within anyone's body.

Make sure you discuss it with your doctor so it can be placed on your record and he/she may be able to help. Also your body may not like anything like that in your stomach or even not like the capsule ingredients rather than the drug inside. Sorry I can't help further but there are many possibilities and its so hard to predict.
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Wed May 29, 2013 3:00 am

Just re-reading your post: the side effects will be worse for some people but better for others.

Pregabalin is new synthetic molecule and a structural derivative of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and Gabapentin structurally resembles the neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) but their mostly meaningless facts. Both are anti epileptic drugs and Pregablin is the newer of the two and the more expensive if I recall correctly.

These anti epileptic drugs are used to reduce the level of pain signals sent due to excess neuron firing as part if the central nervous system. Neuronal activity in the brain can be modified by the presence of excitatory or inhibitory neurotransmitters, which exist in balance in the nervous system. The ratio of these chemicals determines how likely it is that a neuron will fire. Two major excitatory neurotransmitters are amino acids: glutamate and aspartate. Two main inhibitory neurotransmitters are glycine, another amino acid, and GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid), a derivative of glutamate. The excitatory chemicals increase the charge of neurons, while inhibitory ones make the neurons more negatively charged (less likely to fire). When neurons fire, they release other neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. This means that the decrease in serotonin levels often seen in Fibromyalgia patients could possibly be a result of altered GABA function. The excitatory/inhibitory neurotransmitter balance acts as a master regulator of the sensitivity of the nervous system.

Your antidepressant drugs work on Serotonin itself and the inhibit the bodies reupatake of serotonin (SSRI's) so that is like changing the bodies mathematics towards the end of the calculation/process where Pregabalin and Gabapentin change the maths at the beginning of the calculation/process.

The most important thing to note is that you could be fine, or it could be worse, you can't predict until you try. I hope I've tried to explain things ok, I thought I might as well have a stab at it for you anyway. I hope you find what works for your body too.

Anonymouse
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication