[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - No drugs.

No drugs.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

No drugs.

Postby Sioriwish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

So erm, just wondering, is there anyone else out there who has FM, but isn't on any drugs at all?

I'm just really curious because I had nothing but side affects when I was on citlopram and anitriptolene(however it's spelled) which made me feel worse then FM did, because of this, I don't want to go back to drugs.
I just feel really odd knowing that every single FM page I go to, be it this forum, facebook groups etc, it's always drug related stuff, it's 'oh go tell your doc and he'll prescribe you something' etc, have we really become that dependant upon drugs? :x It's quite a scary thought.

And if there is people out there who aren't on any drugs, what do you do to cope with FM?

Sioriwish x
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Re: No drugs.

Postby Purpledot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Sioriwish

I'm exactly the same.........I'm extremely intolerant to any medication (even Paracetamol make me feel lousy). I can just about tolerate 2 Ibuprofen in any 24 hours, but no more.

I have so far refused all painkillers (I do have a high pain threshold, but am struggling with neck/shoulder pain at the moment.......hence the odd couple of Ibuprofen, although they don't really do any good).

I have tried Amitryptiline, but they made me feel horrible, and am currently trying another similar tablet, but, alas, I feel even worse with these. (Neither of them actually made any difference to my ability to get to sleep, stay asleep or, indeed, the quality of my sleep anyway, so the side effects just aren't worth it).

I have told my GP that, at the moment, I would rather deal with the pain than put up with the side effects of any painkillers, and that when/if I get to the stage that I can't cope with it any more then I will let him know! I suppose people like us just have to decide each day whether we want a day of pain or a day spaced out in bed feeling horrid.

I'm lucky that, so far, my pain is not unbearable (I also have ME and this is giving me the most trouble at the moment).
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby pixieminx » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi,
I have M.E./Fibro and have never taken any drugs. Even paracetamol left me with a horrendous migraine and bed bound so I wouldn't go near anything stronger. I manage to stay reasonably well by diet, supplements and pacing. I have 3 children so lead a very busy life, I couldn't do this if I was on prescription drugs as I would be too drowsy and dizzy. I am very strict with what I eat and it seems to work. I manage pain by just getting on with things, I am way too stubborn to give up. Most doctors don't have a clue about m.e. anyway so I don't trust them at all. When I do have a really bad day I make a load of chicken soup with lots of veg and garlic and eat lots and rest. Hope this is of some help. Stay well x :-D
pixieminx
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

I don't take any normal pain relief. Allergic to paracetamol and have a dodgy stomach so cant take Ibuprofen. I've been on Amitriptyline but really cant function on it because it makes me so groggy, so knocked that on the head ages ago. For about a year I was on Gabapentin, which is really an Epilepsy drug but is used for pain in Fibro, I didn't think it was doing anything but since I stopped taking it about a month ago my pain and stiffness has got really bad and I've not been sleeping at all. I've just started taking it again today so I will have to see if its going to work but I think it must have been before but I just didn't realise it.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby yummyhunnybunny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Through choice, have taken myself off all my medication, as a gradual process, I got sick and fed up of being like a zombie....I'd rather have the pain!(never thought I'd ever say that) I have been diagnosed for 26 years and up till 6 years ago did'nt have anything prescribed for me until my Doctor gave me Amitriptyline to help when I had a lot of stress in my life ,I tried lots of other things the Doctor prescribed too which made me feel awful and none of them worked.... I have now started to see humour in life even though I hurt every day. I did'nt realise how long it been since I had laughed :lol: till my Husband told me. I have terrible days and good days but nothing like I felt when on medication. I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing as long as I can .... eating well with good homemade cooking, laughing often and making the most of life by keeping busy. I know we're not all the same but this is what has helped me. J.x.
yummyhunnybunny
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I do know of a few people who do not take medication for fibro.

I have reduced the amount I was taking years ago. I now use a very strong pain patch, it has worked miracles for me, with no side effects other than the need for a laxative. I take something for depression but I took this before fibro. I also take HRT and of course eltroxin.

I think what has helped is the coping skills I was taught. Also...having a very honest relationship with my Dr's.

The most important that has helped me....my hubby. We treat fibro, like all our medical issues as ours, not mine or his. We respect each others conditions and support each other. We also don't let our issues, and there are quite a few, rule us. We are not defined by illness. Mainly though we try to look at the positive. We tend to laugh off a lot of our issues. Think about it there is usually a funny side to a lot of things.

Expect the worst in life....you won't be disapointed!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:06 pm

We dont advise people to go to their docs in the hope of adding another drug to their list, there are a lot of different non medicinal therapies that are available and can be very helpful. Unfortunately most of us are now dependant on medication as it takes the edge off our pain
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 pm

No drugs here, by choice not by allergy.

Ibuprofen and paracetamol on my bad days, along with electric blankets, wheat bags, hot baths.

The rest of the time....gentle exercise and gritted teeth.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Andreaagony » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I tried lots of different medication but could'nt function properly. I now take 10 mg of nortryptaline at night and paracetamol when I really need it. The nortryptaline makes a real difference to my sleep which helps the fibromyalgia. I also have back pain injections every four months.
Andreaagony
UKFM Newbie

Postby Otter65 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi I would love to be drug free but have been there worn the T shirt :roll: and it doesn't work for me

I try to keep to the lowest dose I can just to keep the pain At a dull roar :yikes:

If you can manage without drugs good on you :-)

Xx
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby chestnut1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

Same here, no prescription drugs....tried Amytriptyline....made me feel dreadful the next morning, current prescription is for Gabapentin but i reckon although it makes me feel less like a zombie than Amytrip i'd still rather deal with the fibro without them. :!:

Neither of them helped with my sleep because its a bit random, i can sleep without waking up all night but still feel like i haven't slept for a week, so it wasn't really a sleep issue they had to deal with... :sleep:

I do however take paracetamol and ibuprofen when my headaches start other wise i think my head would actually explode. :yikes:

My only way to deal with it is keep bloody going...yes it slows me down and i have to rest more than i used to but i won't give in to it completely... until i can't physically get up i will battle on. :crazy:
chestnut1
UKFM Newbie

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:38 pm

hi, i know people dont intend to offend others on this forum as we are all realy friendly,

and i dont normaly take offence,

but as im feeling a little down lately after haveing been perscibed another medication, it makes me feel angry that people talk about taking medication as giveing in or not battleing on,

we all fight everyday with our own war against fm and deal with it in our own way, i think people who get through without medication are lucky and shouldnt look at taking medication as giving in or being weak,

i understand we are all entitled to our views but maybe it could be put across diffrently i wish i wasnt on any meds but i am and i know everyday i get up and go to work im still fighting im just getting some help along the way

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I feel the same and some people havnt got the same pain or in the same place as someone else. Ive been crippled with pain for 3 months and although meds just take the edge off i dont feel i could cope with none at all. My pains are arms dhoulders hips knees feet and aslo muscles in arms and legs. I am struggling everyday todonormal everyday things i took for granted.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:34 am

MB I agree I had another one added recently, I dont want them and would love to do without them, but I went in for a meds review in the hope I could drop some and instead as I say another was added :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication