[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - No drugs.

No drugs.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: No drugs.

Postby LouLou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

I am currently halfway through coming off my meds as I am hoping to try for a baby soon. As I had been on co codamol and Tramadol for the last 2 years on high doses my GP said that it would be better for me and any baby I would carry if I could get codeine completely out of my system as well as the tramadol.

We worked out a plan and I am now on half the number of meds a day than what I used to be on. Though I view this as a great achievement personally, I have to say the struggle has been enourmous and I can now see and feel the difference that meds make to my life daily.

In the last few years of having fibro if I had to chose between struggling through the pain or taking something for it, then I'd pick taking something for it anyday. I still work 30 hours a week because this is something I can still achieve most weeks as my fibro is not as bad as others who cannot work, and I'll continue to do so until my body really gives up on me lol. I can feel the difference daily at work by being on a lot less meds and I have really struggled, even having a few days off more than usual. Luckily my bosses are great and understand why I am doing this and I have their support.

But I do have to keep telling myself that I'm doing this for a reason, because I do have times where I am in so much pain I want to take a few extra tablets but know that it will mess up what I have done so far.

If I wasn't going to be having children I'd still be on my meds as they help me get through each day. Money is very tight right now so I can't afford alternative therapies.

Personally I think that if there is a medication out there that can help allievate anyones pain even just a little bit then why not? But I also think that if you want to try and go it alone that is your choice too. We are all on such different paths ith our fibro and we all have to do whatever we can to make our lives just that bit more bearable.

MB and denys :fingerscrossed: your new meds can provide you with some relief.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:10 pm

I was on anti-d's for stress, anxiety and depression for 9 months back in 2011 and I hated what they did to me. Not just the side effects, which were almost as bad as the depression, but the dead flat feeling, no highs no lows. The thought of having to go back to that just to cope with pain....? No effing way, I'll live with the days when I want to weep and tear off my left leg or my hands, at least I'm feeling something.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:51 pm

hi denys sorry you have had a add on aswell,

loulou, every day is closer to you becomeing a mum, and you are very brave, but it will be worth it hope that things go good for you,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby penfriend » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Dear friend, I have severe M.E. and Fibromyalgia for years and years, and apart from my B.P. drug, and when in severe pain, I take 4 Panadol daily, including one at night, I am not on any other drugs, because they are just useless for me, and I suffer with such severe side effects. I take herbs, mainly, and herb teas. I take milk thistle in apple juice for my gall-stones, also cranberry powder with cornsilk for bouts of cystitis, manuka honey and apple cider vinegar as a tonic. I also have coconut oil on many things, like jacket potatoes, waffles and also eat some. If I ever get down, rather than any doctor's drugs, I take St.Johns Wort for a few weeks and that usually helps a lot.

I also use organic aloe vera gel on swollen feet and hands, and take aloe vera juice daily in water for digestion. I drink chamomile tea, cornsilk tea, peppermint or fennel teas.

Hope there might be something mentioned here that would helpo you too.
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm like fluppy. Would love to not need meds but unfortunately I do and not a cat in Hells chance of me managing without them. It's not that I've become that dependent on them just that my pain and neuropathy is so severe that I have to take them. Without them I can't even sit up in bed, lift a cup of tea to my mouth, nothing. In a flare even with meds this can happen. I can be physically sick my pain is that severe and that's with meds. I currently take after a big gig around from the pain management consultant, tapentadol (new strong opoid painkiller, also deals with neuropathy) and amytriptyline. Also on propranolol (beta blocker) at the moment for anxiety although this is short term. Then migraleve and paracetamol as needed for migraines and headaches. Then take the mini pill to suppress my menstrual cycle as this can increase my fibro symptoms tenfold plus I have endometriosis which is agony when cycle not suppressed. I also have regular acupuncture through the pain clinic. My meds allow me to function at a basic level and to get through the day but even with them I have to have a carer to help me shower, to do my hair for me and countless other things. Without the meds she'd be sponging me down in bed if I could even tolerate touching me at all.

I tried alternative meds when I was first ill with fibro, saw a holistic practitioner. But they made me so sick I had to stop them and my g.p told me to steer clear in future.

If you can manage without meds then great, but honestly when you end up with a really severe case of fibro, I actually don't know how people could still function without the meds cos like i said i couldn't even lift a drink or my head without mine and I really feel for those who are very severely affected and are unable to take them due to being intolerant.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am

LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am

Lou, what about looking into whether a TENs machine might help you??? I had one bought for me about 3 months ago and I wish I'd got one a long, long time ago now :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: It works by stimulating your own natural pain killing responses so is drug~free. Like most things we use, it doesn't take everything away, but helps make an extra difference. I'm having a lot of pain in my knees at the moment, to the point where some mornings I haven't been able to move them very much when I wake up, but after running Mr TENs on a couple of cycles as I move the pads round to get the best effect from it, I can move enough to get up and start getting about, which then starts things loosening up as the day goes on. And I use it on all my other hurty bits that are suitable for it as well :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mililly » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 am

I definately could not manage without any medication and also cannot even lift a cup to drink. Im 3 months into this and still having my meds increased and changed all the time. Id love not to take them but its just too painful at the minute
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Fluppy I think I'll give that a try. My dad actually got me one when I was first diagnosed (bless him lol) and I did use it sometimes and it helped but then mysteriously disappeared during all the work we are doing to the house.

I found it in a really random place while sorting out the new kitchen the other day lol so will give it a go this week - thanks for the reminder.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: For some additional easing from it for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Otter65 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi
A tens machine is good idea :-D I recently purchased a small one that means I can use it anywhere as it just sticks where ever I want without any wires to get in the way like my old one.

I have one at home and keep on at work so I can use it at any time :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Hope it works for you :goodluck2:
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

[/Quote]Hi Michelle, I'm the same at that time of the month, it was this weekend in fact and I spent most of it in bed. I'm on the pill too (the combined one) but as I discovered about a year ago that time of the month made me worse, I had to change when I took my pill so that time of the month occured at the weekend so it didn't affect me working - that's how bad it can be. At least with the pill I can control when they happen - oh the joys of being a woman.[/quote]

Mine doesn't have a break in it, I just keep taking it. So very rarely get anything at all now. Just the occasional bit of spotting but that's it. It's made such a difference to me, it used to and me in bed for days both at ovulation and at that time of the month.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication