[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - I can't believe....Yes I can!

I can't believe....Yes I can!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I can't believe....Yes I can!

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:04 pm

One of the major problems those of us suffer from is lack of sleep.

I for one have this as a major symptom of fibro. I tried pills etc but no luck. I get so exhausted as others do.

On the other side, seems strange I would drop off to sleep in mid sentence, just for a minute or two then wake up. In the car my hubby would be driving, chatting away with me and then I was gone. I also dozed of myself driving, hit the ditch, woke up and continued on my way.

My Dr sent me to the "sleep clinic" again. I went before and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was in denial of it so didn't go back until a few months ago. Once again the results were sleep apnea...only worse.

When I sleep I stop breathing every few minutes, therefore wake up. I never reach that good sleep we all need.

I was fitted with a CPAP machine and you would not believe, unless you tried it, how it helps. I am slowly, actually rather quickly am getting more and more sleep. I am now sleeping between 2 to 4 hours. I go back to clinic for another overnight stay friday. They will check to see what type of sleep I reach, how much I sleep, how much body movement I have but most important how much oxygen I get. With stopping breathing the oxygen level lowers.

I have had fibro as part of my life for 23 years and this I hope is the start of some decent sleep finally. It will not take away all the sleep issues with fibro but my airway is opened up so I have a chance at a much better sleep.

I really suggest that if you have issues with sleep, If you snore, if you breath through your mouth, if you wake gasping for air and especially if you find yourself dozing like I do ask your Dr to refer you to a sleep clinic. Sleep apnea, is very common in fibromyalgia patients...my little machine will travel everywhere with us. Another chapter to add to the " Our story of living with fibro".

Another thing we chuckle about...hubby calls me his little elephant because the mask and long air hose makes me look like an elephant. Mmmmm! I hope he is referring to my head and not the rest of my body, LOL
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: I can't believe....Yes I can!

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 pm

At least you can laugh about it Whoami. tee heee Not sure that we can get referrals to such places as Sleep clinics very easily , I guess it depends on what part of the country etc you are in. OH has the most awful snoring (kids says it sounds as if he is knocking the house down with a sledge hammer) and GP sent him to what we thought was a sleep clinic turns out it stops short of one as it doesn't have the beds etc . So far nothing they hve suggested works !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I am surprised that you don't have a better opportunity to visit a sleep clinic. Where I go they say that the amount of patients they get with fibro is on the rise.

When I have stayed there a lot of male patients seem to have a larger belly and a very thick neck. I have only seen 3 women there and they were various sizes.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 am

We dont seem to have easy access either, but others have said they have been and been helped, but dont know if they went private or not :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 am

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 am

LouLou.....thanks for your comments. We really try to stay positive, some days however it can be extremely hard.

I do think that sleep makes a huge difference in how our body reacts. I did not wake once last night, that I know of. the machine I have records my sleep and how much help I needed regarding the airway. It automatically adjusts to the amount of pressure released. I would like to see all with fibro have a sleep study done at no cost, part of a reg check up. It costs nothing here. The machines are not on the light side though, here around £1000, so far worth it. Extended health coverage normally covers quite a bit though.

As for the snoring, good luck! My hubby snores on his side, back or stomach. I tell him now I just imagine I am on an air mattress floating on the ocean. His snoring is the sound of waves going up and down. The louder and longer the snore the bigger the wave. I now have found it relaxing...tnight when your OH starts, just close your eyes and imagine, LOL maybe not waves but you will think of something that will turn the sound into something relaxing.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:58 pm

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication