[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gabapentin cognitive impairment

Gabapentin cognitive impairment

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin cognitive impairment

Postby scouseproud » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:45 pm

I have recently been prescribed gabapentin after unsucessful treatment with duloxetine. I have got upto 300mg 3 times a day and it makes me feel like a total zombie. I can't think straight or remember anything - I feel like someone has taken a stick blender to my brain! I could just about deal with fibro fog but this takes the biscuit! I am a high achieving student in my 3rd year of a 4 yr integrated masters degree and I really need my wits about me during the upcoming year or so. Does the cognitive impairment persist after the initial stage of treatment or does it settle down after a while? Has anyone found any ways to combat it? I've read that pregabalin is more bioavaliable and a smaller dose is needed. Does this reduce side effects at all?

Hope somebody can help.

All the best
Chris
scouseproud
UKFM Member

Re: Gabapentin cognitive impairment

Postby mumstheword1954 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:29 pm

I'vetried both and couldn'tcope or get past 6 or so weeks. I was slurring and constantly felt as if Ihad a really bad hangover. So needless to say Icame off them also they had little or no effect on my symtoms. X
mumstheword1954
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:45 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tunes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I totally agree with "mums the word" i was on medication for 4 years and felt exactly the same no matter how many times they changed it.
The symptoms of fibro is bad enough but takein on the dide effects of meds was too much to bear. I wouldnt mind if they helped but they never did. So im not on anything and feel normal with all the fibro symptoms but i much prefer this situation.
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi

I was on Gabapentin for 18mths at 900mg three times a day but i started having nightmares so i went to see my G.P who put me on Pregablin and i take 200mg three times a day aswell MST continus and amtriplyne and i fine apart from when i lower amtriplyne i then don't sleep so well ..

Other than that i manage pretty ok with pain. But the fibro fog which i haven't had for a few week touch wood....

Any question please ask

karen xx
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi,
I have not tried Gabapentin. I take Pregabalin (Lyrica) which is a newer drug than Gabapentin and you are right, it is taken in much lower doses. My consultant believes it is a better drug than Gabapentin. One of the reasons GP's continue to prescribe Gabapentin is because it is cheaper!

It took me several weeks to get used to the Pregabalin, but to be honest, the side effects were not that bad........bit of nausea, sleepiness etc. That said, I wasn't working or studying at the time so I wasn't under pressure to be on top form and I could rest and let the side effects run their course until everything settled down. I may have found the adjustment to new meds far more challenging if I had been under pressure to "perform" at work or at Uni!
It must be very hard when you are trying to adjust to new meds and you are expected to carry on as normal with your studies.
Have you considered speaking to your tutors about your condition and the difficulties you are experiencing as a consequence of your medication? What about extenuating circumstances? You could try for a little more time with deadlines etc. You may well have considered this already, but I'm just trying to think of ways to make coping with things a little easier for you.

I think it may well be worth asking your doctor about giving Pregabalin a try. I actually take a combination of Pregabalin and Duloxetine, do you mind if I ask why you came off the Duloxetine?

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with Fibro and the issues involved with the meds you require. It's just not fair when all you want to do is focus on your studies. I sincerely wish you well with it all :-)

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:05 am

Couldnt cope with gabapentin so was given Lyrica (pregablin) and for the first couple of weeks the foggy brain was horrible but now its much better (except for the fibro fog moments :lol: :lol: ) so if you have been on it for a while then talk to your doc, but as Flup said if you havent been on it very long then give it a little while longer and then make up your mind.

You didnt say whether you were getting any relief as this might also be something else to take into consideration :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you can get your head back to where it was before ready for your final year :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby spencebel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 am

I have been on Gabs for 12mths, felt no different so have decided to come off them. I have had weight gain, also bad gums, that is on the list of side effects.
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby FMEDSKittyWarrior » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:59 pm

I was on pregablin when I was first diagnosed, I was the same as you. I kept falling asleep, my husband made sure I ate washed and took me to the toilet, I was a total zombie. I don,t remember much the 3 months I was on it. Everything was numb, could not feel physically, mentally or emotionally, I could not live like that and took drastic action and came off.
Good luck finding something that works better for you :-D
FMEDSKittyWarrior
UKFM Member

Postby jo_jo789uk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 pm

My mum has been on Gabapentin for 10 years now for a non FM related condition.

She still has short term memory loss after she takes her Gabapentin. She is doing an Open University course so she has to make sure to give it at least an hour after taking her tablets before she does any work, otherwise she would sit and read the same line 5 times and still not completely remember what it said. She finds it frustrating but she has been on them for so long she is used to dealing with it, plus they are the only tablets that help so she wouldn't want to do without them.
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication