[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Injections!

Injections!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Injections!

Postby suecam » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Good evening folks!
I'm wondering if anyone has had anaesthetic injections into their shoulders, the consults reckons it's worth a try. I was hoping they would do the trick and that I'd not need many and I'd be free of fibro! My Macmillan nurse tells me the injections only last a couple of weeks :cry: Has anybody had any experiences with these?
I'll be pleased if it does, my knees are on fire and the twitching and jumping is making me feel crackers today..I've kind of got used to the pain though I had huge flare up over the weekend and had to use a walking stick to get around :-?
Anyway, I'm prattling on. Any thoughts will be much appreciated, thank you!xxx
suecam
UKFM Member

Re: Injections!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little sanctuary. I've moved you into here with you asking about a treatment as it's a more suitable board, so hopefully you'll get some helpful replies :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There have been a few people posted about having injections which sound similar to the ones that have been mentioned to you, and typically, as with all things relating to FM, the results are mixed, to say the least :shock: :shock: :shock: For some they can bring decent relief for quite significant periods of time, whereas for others they make little or no difference to how they feel. And unfortunately there isn't any sort of pattern/indicators about who might find them beneficial and who may not :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You could try searching the site using the search box in the top right hand corner of each page. The phrases I can remember being mentioned in different topics incl "facet joint injection", "lidocaine", "lignocaine." These might give you somewhere to start finding out about them until someone :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: along who has had them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 pm

There are various types of these injections. I have had various.

Needles injected into the trigger points, neck, shoulders, lower back. They are very painful to get, I wouldn't tell anyone they were not. They are painful because they are injected right into the spot that the pain comes from. They are usually given in a series. Some people find relief for quite a while, others, like myself just for a few days.

Blocks, the ones I got....

A needle is inserted through the front of the neck into the nerves as they leave the spine. the Dr watches your face, he knows they are in the right spot as your face droops. you look for a while like you have had a stroke...it doesn't last. Some serious things could happen when administered, collapsed lungs, seizure death. These your Dr should advise you of first. The Dr can only do one quarter of your body at a time. In the neck..upper right or left.

For the lower half the needles were injected into the lower back, right at the tailbone. The only issues I had with that was afterwards for a while every third step my leg would give out. It also passed.....it was rather funny, after the needles my hubby and I went shopping and we actually started to count the steps in between. He would catch me on the third step. We ended up laughing our heads off in the stores. People must have thought we were crazy...I was more concerned of peeing myself, LOL

Try the needles, they may help. I know a lot of people who have had them with absolutely no problems.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Some one i know had steroid injections and nerve blocks mixed with adrenaline into there neck/back and shoulders approx 10 in total.

This caused a severe reaction and to this day no body understands why and the outcome was more pain then ever before which has not gone.

This tho is a rare case

I know of many people who have tried injections and its been a success but for only a little amount of time.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tiny229 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Do you mean injections or infusions .....I have had steroid injections in my shoulders which helped for a while ....and also lignacane infusions 4 over 4 weeks ... .these didn't give me any relief but some others that were having them done at the same sessions swore by them ... I also had a spinal block a few years back but still was in pain....everyone seems different but anything is worth a try ....good luck
tiny229
UKFM Member

Postby Niiixxxxx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 pm

I know this is an old board, but I'm due to get anaesthetic injections in a few days and was looking for any advice.

In particular, I was wondering why my consultant only mentioned anaesthetic injections and not steroids. He said the anaesthetic only has a 20-30% chance of giving me significant relief but seems to consider this or the infusion the last options.

My pain is concentrated mainly in my neck, shoulders, ribs and back along with the other various leg and arm pains.

I know this is a long shot, but hearing about your experiences would great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Niiixxxxx
UKFM Newbie

Postby milly06 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Sounds like trigger point injections and though everyone is different they didn't work for me. I now have radio-frequency in my lower spine and hips which kills the nerve endings and has to be done under xray. They have to use spinal needles and this is extremely painful but once the nerve dies i do get some relief as steroids are also given. The down side is that over a few months the nerves grow back and injections have to be repeated about every 4 to 6 months. I also have osteoporosis and disc protrusion but over the last 18 months i am now unable to feel my legs and permanently in a wheelchair.

Ps Not been on here for a long time but Milly and i are both back now!!!
When life hands you lemons make lemonade!!!! Dont look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!!
milly06
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication