sleep study

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

sleep study

Postby Wackers34 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone has had a sleep study done as part of fibro or any other disorders they may have?

lack of Sleep/ fatigue / insomnia is my main symptom and is severely affecting my life. I have spoken to GP numerous times about this, they just answer with sleeping meds or amitrilyptine (im on this but isnt working) or counselling (which I am also doing)

I have tried relaxation cds, tried baths with lavender, tried chamomile tea, tried all the herbal remedies except Melatonin...also tried Nytol.

Mainly i wake up several times with a jerk, husband says I am very restless during night.

I feel a sleep study would be beneficial...do you have to get these referred by a GP or can you go privately? If so where? (im near Reading)

Fatigue is starting to cripple me and I am wondering if there is something else going on...my GP doesn't seem to have heard of sleep clinics but when I google I have managed to find them...Maybe I should go back and show her this

Can anyone offer any advice or experiences with this

Many thanks
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: sleep study

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I just started a topic based on that.....I should have named it something to do with it.

I think everyone with fibro should have one. I have sleep apnea (I stop breathing in my sleep) It has been noted that fibro patients quite often have sleep apnea
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Wackers34 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Whoami

Thanks for that...didn't realise you started a post on this...just read it...thats very helpful thanks.

Husband says I don't snore, but i do sleep with mouth open and do jerk awake.

What do you do / did do for your extreme fatigue which accompanies this lack of sleep? I think I am going to have to try and get a doctors referral for one. How long does it take on NHS? Or did you go private?

Thanks for all the advice on this
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I now live in Canada so I am not familiar with the medical system in the UK. I would suggest you ask your Dr for a referral to a sleep clinic for a sleep study.

I now sleep with a CPAP machine. I wear a mask that is hooked up to a machine that forces air to open my airway more. the results of the clinic showed my oxygen levels were lowered when I sleep, I stop breathing every few minutes (that is why I wake gasping for air) and dow't stay in deep sleep very long before waking.

There are various types of sleep disorders. I think it is worth looking into.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication