[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Lidocaine intravenous infusion

Lidocaine intravenous infusion

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lidocaine intravenous infusion

Postby Fragrance » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi all
I am a new member on this forum and I need some advice please.

I have been suffering from the Fibromyalgia for 23 years and over this period I have had a number of big flare ups lasting for a few months. I managed my health and life relatively ok by taking amitriptyline, good diet and pacing etc. However, two years ago I had another flare up and gradually my health got worst and amitriptyline lost it's effectiveness. Last June I had to give up my work. My GP had me try duluxatine, gabapantine, pregabaline but some of them give me sever side effects and others had no Affect. A rheumatologist at the Guys hospital prescribed pregabalin and tramadol, once again I have to stop taking them due to really bad side effects. Last August I was referred by GP to the pain management clinic at my local hospital, there I was prescribed nortriptyline but again due the side effects I had to stop taking them. I have also completed a pain management course. I haven't taken any medication for about 8 months now, however, my health has deteriorated so much that I am at the moment in really bad state.

I asked my GP to refer me to the pain clinic again and I saw a consultant last week again. According to him I have tried almost all the drugs that are available for fibromyalgia, therefore, he can offer me lidocaine intravenous infusion and presently I am awaiting for his letter and an appointment to assess my suitability for this treatment. After doing a bit of research I am bit apprehensive about starting this treatment. Therefore, can someone give me answers to the following questions;

1- has anyone had this treatment?
2- were there any side effects?
3- did it make any difference and how long the affect lasted?
4- should I go ahead with this?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Fragrance
UKFM Newbie

Re: Lidocaine intravenous infusion

Postby vetnurselise » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:17 pm

i have had this - did not work for me and no side effects
may work for you x
vetnurselise
UKFM Newbie

Postby tiny229 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:31 pm

I had them 4 over a 4 week period and got no relief at all ......BUT ,,,,there were others on the same sessions as me that had a really good result so my advice is give it a try and lets hope it works for you .... :-P
tiny229
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 pm

There are a few mentions of these infusions and also the injections across the forum. For some they can bring considerable relief for quite a significant amount of time, whereas for others, the effects are minimal, or there may not be any benefit at all.

If you use the searchbox in the top right hand corner of each page, it should bring up posts about them. There is also some info if you look using "lignocaine" as well, hopefully there will be something useful for you in amongst it all :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There's lots of other info and advice across the boards, so have a bit of a looky and a read when you get chance. If you'd like to introduce yourself and tell us a little more about yourself and your adventures with FM, it would be lovely to "meet" you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:02 pm

A Good Laugh A Day Can take Your Pain Away :D
Pete
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 pm

These infusions are becoming more common so don't worry to much about not knowing about them. They were first suggested to me back in 2007. At my hospital they claimed to have had many success stories, however I obviously can not verify this for myself. I have a particular problem with cannula's sending me into shock so for me it was a disaster but that is very rare and up to now unique to my body as far as I know, so don't worry about that at all.

As far as Fibromyalgia goes that's about the only thing people who are diagnosed have in common, from there everything is unique to some and opposite for others. Some people respond to one way brilliantly and others see no difference. Its well worth a shot in my opinion and I really hope it helps you. Let us know how you get on if you do decide to have them done, as I for one would be interested in your outcome and people searching on the forum will benefit from the update too.

All the very best,
Anonymouse.
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I know nothing about lidocaine but have another drug suggestion for you to take to your consultant. It's brand we, liscensed in 2011. It's called tapentadol, trade name Palexia. It's a strong opoid with a strength between tramadol and morphine and also helps with neuropathic pain so does the sae as duloxetine, gabapentin and the like. But as its man made it has much fewer side effects. I was prescribed it by the pain management consultant. You may have to fight for it as its really expensive however my consultant told me about it and said he has found his fibro patients are e really having a good response to it and are tolerating it better than other meds and he feels the price is worth it as in the long run we end up taking less drugs cos of how it works.

Google it. It's a controlled class a drug schedule 2. But licensed for use in uk. I have to provide I'd when I collect it from the chemist so if you get it make sure u take Id. Apparently I'M the only patient on it at my chemist and g.ps hadn't heard of it. But I feel a lot better on it esp regards side effects.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Fragrance » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello. Thank you much to everyone who replied to my message, I am really touched and found your replies to be very helpful. MichelleJ, I will definitely do some research on tapentadol. :-D :-D
Fragrance
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication