[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Stiffness

Stiffness

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Stiffness

Postby jackiecarr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:57 am

Hi everyone. Can anyone give me some tips on stiffness. I find when i have a flare up my body is so stiff, i can not move, doc asked me yesterday if i had any idea what i had heard that will help this. She is very careing but does not know a lot about it ?? please if you can give me any tips i would be grateful xx gentle hugs to all xx
jackiecarr
UKFM Newbie

Re: Stiffness

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Stiffness is something that seems to affect most of us across different parts of our bodies. Gentle stretching is something that quite a few of us finds help make things a little looser and manageable, along with keeping as mobile as we can.

I was given a sheet of stretches which, altho aimed more at those of us who have CFS/ME as well, have helped me keep a little looser than I have been. They literally are from top~to~toe and depending on which part of me is particularly affected, I tend to tailor the ones I do to work on the area(s) that need it each day.

Trying to keep as active as possible can also help ease things off. Even the smallest movement for the shortest time can help, esp when a suitable number of reps are done over a suitable period of time so that it doesn't make things too uncomfortable.

Soaking in a warm bath can help as well, not just with stiffness, but also general relaxation, which can have a nice affect across your body as a whole.

It might be worth seeing if you could be referred to a physio about this, they should be able to work with you to find a suitable range of stretches/exercises aimed at initially loosening things up, then maintaining/improving things in the longer term.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby suecam » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi there
fortunately I don't have any tips other than gentle movement at regular intervals as I'm the same and very, very painful. I rotate my ankles around and do clenches with my hands. Sometimes just the act of gently rubbing hand cream in helps, just don't squeeze or rub too hard! Gentle hugs back!x
suecam
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Jackie.....Along with the hot baths look for a product, Arnica. It is a gel. I get it in a health food shop but your pharmacy / chemist might carry it. It is a natural product, my surgeon gave me it first, really helps. It is smelly though LOL!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication