[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - gabapentin & amitripyline

gabapentin & amitripyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gabapentin & amitripyline

Postby jennyb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:40 pm

hi,
After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5 years ago I was put on co- drydmol and amitrpyline, for most of that time I was pretty stable.

About 6 months ago had massive flare up but though it was cold weather etc, but it got warm I got worse, sleeping all day and lots of pain, went back to the doctor and he took me off amitrpyline and put me on gabapentin, which seems to have done the trick, but now I wake up at 3 in the morning, and I'm wide awake so I was wondering if I could take a small dose of amitrpyline so I sleep right through the night.

Is there anyone else who has had this experience, that could advice and what dose to take.

I know I should get docs advice and all that and I will.

thank you
jennyb
UKFM Member

Re: gabapentin & amitripyline

Postby not.giving.in » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi,

Yes I use gabapentin and amitriptyline together and they work well with no bad effects as far as I can tell. I take 15mg amitriptyline round 6.30 in the evening and it makes me sleepy round bed time and I sleep better more often. I would suggest starting with 10mg and see if it works, as long as your doc is happy with that. The 10mg tablets can be cut in half easily if you want to start with 5mg or end up with 15mg. I have taken up to 25mg with gabapentin with no problem.

Good luck :-D

Jules
not.giving.in
UKFM Member

Postby jennyb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for that, I think that's what I will do
jennyb
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:12 pm

I have been on Gabapentin for nearly three years now and because I wasnt sleeping, my doctor started me on 10mg of Amitriptyline and I have now been taking 20mg for approx four weeks and seem to be doing well on them. Start off on a low dose first and see how you get on as when I was first diagnosed, I was put on a higher dosage and found it was still in my system until late the following day, so all I wanted to do was sleep but I find this lower dose works just right as long as you take them early enough in the evening. Good luck
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby juejue » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi,

I've been on pregabalin for 2 years which I believe is similar to gabapentin and am on 50mg amitryptaline a night which is the only thing which helps me sleep.

Hope it helps
Jue x :crazy:
juejue
UKFM Member

gabapentin & amitrpyline update

Postby jennyb » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 am

Took 25mg amitrpyline last night slept right through, got up this morning and feel like a zombie fulling asleep again ten minutes after I got up sapped of all energy.

I'm away on hols on Friday for 2 weeks! I think I will not take the ami see how I go and sort out when I come back.

Jenny's
jennyb
UKFM Member

Re: gabapentin & amitrpyline update

Postby justme* » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 am

i dont know youre history with these drugs but can i suggest you take 10mg of amitrpyline for now as it takes time to work youre way up and it still helps you sleep but doesnt know you bandy.
justme*
UKFM Newbie

Re: gabapentin & amitrpyline update

Postby potatohead » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 am

You will find it completely wipes you out for a few weeks. I've recently been adjusting my medication and Gabapentin was added to my cocktail of drugs along with Amytriptylin that I was already taking, which I had reduced from 25mg to 10mg a night. I take 300mg 3 times a day of Gabapentin. It's been really hard managing a demanding full time job, whilst feeling drowsy and foggy. I can't remember things, I can't concentrate and I'm no longer a brilliant multi-tasker. Everything takes twice and long and is twice as hard to do. But, I am easing up with my side effects so I hope it starts to help. It's a catch 22, take the drugs and feel tired and suffer the side effects...or not take them and feel normal cognitively, but in chronic pain. Do stick with it though and I hope it helps.
potatohead
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Jenny, with you having your original topic on the same subject, I've merged it and your update one together so everything is together in one place and a bit easier for people to see how things are going for you.

I think you need to talk to your GP about taking the Gabas and amis together to be sure you're on suitable dosages for them to work together effectively, as trying different levels without guidance could cause additional problems that leave you feeling even worse than you do at the moment. And with you being off on hollibobs on Friday, something happening that could spoil your plans is the last thing you'd want.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Smurfy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi, I know this was posted a while ago but I'm new to the forum and browsing around. I've been taking Gabapentin and Amitriplyne for a while. I do feel very 'hungover' in the mornings and working full time as an administrator needs me to be awake! I do find it is the only thing that keeps my pain at bay (the gabapentin is really for nerve pain in my back).

I am finding it difficult to decide if the confusion and mixing up words is from the gabapentin or the Fibro??

I've also put on a stone this last year and didnt know gabapentin can cause weight gain :(
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Hia just been reading the posts I too take gabrepentin and anatriptiline,BuTrans patches 30mg+co-codimal gabrepentin 50mg am,s and 50pm,s + 75mg anatriptiline I sleep for may be 3 hrs then awake as to much pain all the stuff I'm on should knock me out yet it doesant ill be glad to see consultant monday! I too suffer from very bad memory never used to b this bad! + put on weight too if I didn't take this there would b no way I could get out of bed + I work too some 1 said dla but I'm quite stubborn and love job but its getting harder 2do now every morning when I get up I feel quite thick headed then around 2pm could sleep standing up! Wish I didn't have to take this stuff but we have to 2 have some quality of life I guess its trial+error with what drugs to take and have to put our trust in doctors some are better than others talk to gp/pain clinic good luck everyone xxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Hope the consultant you see on Monday can be of help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The memory issues/forgetfulness are part of FM, affecting pretty much all of us in varying degrees, usually at the most unsuitable times :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: The effects of meds can add to this as well, for me, having a head full of weetabix is a pretty decent state these days :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

The morning~after grogginess is a known effect of amitriptyline, and whilst there tends to be traces of it there all day, having a twiddle about with the time that you take your amis can help reduce it to a degree. This could be taking them 2~3 hours before you will be going to bed, or maybe 12 hours before you will be getting up the following morning. Some have even found that taking them early evening/with their evening meal is what suits them best, it's a case of trying different times until you find what suits you.

WRT gaining weight, this another known problem with both amis and gabapentin, but as you say, without them, getting out of bed would be nigh on impossible pretty much most of the time :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You mentioned someone had said to you about claiming DLA :-? :-? Even when you are working, DLA, or PIP as it is now, can be claimed. It is paid to help with care and mobility issues that people have. Different rates are paid based on the level of help needed for each component. It isn't based on the conditions that you are dx'd with, but on how those conditions impact on, affect your daily care and mobility needs. For those unable to work due to their health, ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) is claimed, and paid based on whether there is a limitied capability for work, or if the claimant has virtually no chance of being able to work.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication