[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

Postby kazisedso » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,
hope you are all ok.

Have received a copy of the report from the pain clinic that i visited in June, and at present i am taking fluoxetine for depression and anxiety.
The Consultant has suggested to my gp to stop fluoxetine and put me on nortriptyline 10mg at night. To help my mood, fibro-pain, sleep and depression ( all that from one tablet eh!)

I am visiting my gp soon regarding this, but my concerns are that, mentally i do get down due to the pain etc, but for the most i would say i am quite 'level' so messing about with this medication my bring on symptoms that i don't want, more anxiety, palpitations etc.

I am a worry wort anyway but just thought id ask if any one has any experience with any of these medications etc.
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

Postby xxfibeexx » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:01 pm

You can take both. I take notriptyline along with citalopram
xxfibeexx
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I was on Nortriptyline until the start of the year and only switched to something else because it's benefits seemed to be getting less and less for me, but after about 2 years on them that maybe isn't such a surprise.

While I was on them, I seemed to experience very little in the way of side effects until I was up to taking 80~90mg each night, and then I started to experience things like a bit of a dry mouth/thirst.

Not sure what benefits they had pain~wise for me as at best, anything that works on pain only seems to take the edge off things for me. Sleep~wise tho, they seemed to help for a good part of the time, and I didn't wake up with that much morning zombificationess compared to taking other meds, such as amitriptyline.

It's not unusual for us to have a cocktail of things to help keep us :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: along, and these cocktails can, and quite often do include more than 1 anti~d. If you're happy with fluoxetine then it might be worth looking into the possibility of having nortriptyline added to your current combo rather than replacing one with the other.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Kaz.... Sometimes just one medication does the trick. I know a few people who only take one pill but it works for pain, depression. Myself, way back, many years ago, LOL I was taking about 9 different meds for fibro. Looking back now I think that the meds were somehow feeding the symptoms. Example.... one might help with the pain but then increase the depression or headaches, Now over the years we have it down to the wellbutrin for depression and fentanyl for pain. The occasional ibuprofin thrown in if I can catch breakthrough pain..if not off to emerg I go.

Try this new way, if it doesn't work then your Dr can switch you back.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

Postby kazisedso » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Cheers everyone for that, also been told that the x-ray I had taken on my lower back and hip, came back normal.... But I am in excruciating pain in my right hip and leg, everyday, which gets worse as the day goes on, really struggle to walk, so it begs the question, what is causing the pain????
Any guesses as to what the doctor will say......... Bet he says fibro!!!
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Kaz.....one of my Dr's has fibro. He is an anesthesiologist and runs the pain clinic. The Dr say's that hip pain in fibro is his number 1 complaint, then lower back and then knee/leg. So yes....it likely is the fibro...sorry!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

NORTRIPTYLINE ??????

Postby kazisedso » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh and forgot to say, mr googley has suggested that fluoxetine and nortriptyline cannot be taken together due to adverse side effects so will have to wait n see
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 pm

There are a vast number of combinations of meds that can potentially cause adverse reactions. However, discussing such a combo with your GP, who will have a good idea of how you are with different things, can sometimes lead to them being prescribed together because it is thought that the risks of such reactions are low whereas the potential benefits they could bring is considerably higher.

We don't say that such combos should be taken regardless of what they might do to you, we just suggest talking to your GP about whether something might be suitable for you to try.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication