[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does it take time for results from. Gabapentin?

Does it take time for results from. Gabapentin?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does it take time for results from. Gabapentin?

Postby Di davo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi,
My Doc has put me on gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day for leg and arm pains, just wondering if this takes time to work as pain relief as I have been on it for two weeks, first week was just one tablet a day, then increased to the three for the last week. But I feel no better with my legs :0( I even had to ask my 87year old granny to slow down when I took her shopping as I just couldn't keep up with the way my legs hurt :0(

Hope your all doing well :0) xx
Di davo
UKFM Member

Re: Does it take time for results from. Gabapentin?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 pm

It does take time to start and feel any benefits from Gabapentin. It is a med where the dosage is increased gradually over a suitable period of time, and when the dosage is reached, it then needs time to fully build up in your system and take effect. For some, it can take about a month, but for others it can take longer, with some needing 3~4 months before benefits are felt.

I think you'll need to give things a while longer before you can really tell if they are helping, but if you're unsure about anything, then talk to your GP about them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 pm

definitely takes time to get into your system
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Di davo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks :0) at least I know it's worth plodding on with them :0)
On the face book feed everyone has mentioned weight gain on them :0( is this true?, last thing we'd need with painful legs :0(, doctor hadn't mentioned it?
Di davo
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 am

I have just been taken off Gabapentin after being on it for over two years. I started off on 300mg, 3 times a day over a period of two weeks then eventually built up to 1200mg, 3 times a day. On the whole, they seemed to be working well for me but I was suffering from very bad dizzy spells on a daily basis which has been going on for over 12 months and I just couldnt function as a human being. I wanted to be sure it wasnt a side effect to the Gabapentin, so the doctor reduced my meds over three weeks so that I could see how I got on and now he has put me on Pregabalin. This is only my second day so I dont know how I will get on but at least, if nothing else, it is good not to be taking so many tablets. With a lot of new medication, it takes a while for it to build up in your system before you start to notice any benefit from it but persevere and hopefully it will work well for you.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 am

Weight gain can be a side effect of Gabas, but it doesn't affect everyone. Maybe keep an eye on things to see how they go, and if you do find yourself becoming a tad more curvy, then see what you might be able to do to combat it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication