Citalopram and amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Citalopram and amitriptyline

Postby Mrshank83 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi, was wondering if anyone has had this combination of medication and had good results? I've had several flare ups in a matter of weeks so desperate to control it. I'm on 40mg citalopram and starting with 10mg amitriptyline tonight

Thanks in advance
Katie :-)
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Re: Citalopram and amitriptyline

Postby potatohead » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Yes I take both - but slightly different dosage.
10mg-20mg Amytriptylin each night (depending on the severity of the flare up) and I take 20mg Citalopram. And, I take Gabapentin (3 x 300mg a day).

I was originally on a higher dose of Amytriptylin around 40mg, and that got rid of the pain massively. The consequence was extreme tiredness and reduced ability to functional generally (basically all the side effects on the pill box, were what I suffered).

I still get flare ups and pain, but it's not as severe thanks to my drug combination. If you can, you should combine regular exercise with the medication. The meds won't miraculously fix it, much as we want. I have found if I miss exercise for a few days I flare up badly.

I'd see how you go on your pills, higher doses come with drawbacks, but you may be fine on your current dose, if not just adjust it with your GP.

I have been a sufferer since 2007. How long have you had Fibromyalgia Katie? I hope you find some more comfort from the pills :-)
potatohead
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mrshank83 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi thanks for your reply :-)

I started back in 2009 with my first initial symptoms, took a long time to get diagnosed though. Been doing really well after the birth of my second son nearly 11 months ago, but now it's attacking me with avengence :-(
Not easy with a young baby who's crawling everywhere!! :-)

Good to see that you have strategies that work for you :-)
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Postby Graygirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I take 20mg Citalopram in the morning, and 75mg Amitryptiline at bedtime. I take Citalopram because of clinical depression, and the Amitryptiline to help with sleep patterns and fibro pain overnight. The current dose (I went up from 50mg to 75mg a few months ago) is also helping keep the depression at bay. My GP said they are a good combination. I also have an inner ear problem (Tensor Tympani Syndrome), and the Amitryptiline helps with that too.

I was diagnosed with both Fibro and CFS/ME in early 2004.
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby Mrshank83 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am

Well I have to say I went to sleep no problem last night! Woke about 5 with a bad head but until then a much better nights sleep :-) hopefully a sign of things to come!
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Postby potatohead » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Glad to hear you got a good nights sleep. :sleep:

I find Fibromyalgia a bit of a chicken and egg scenario...I suffer from Depression so take the Citalopram for that, but am I suffering because of the fibro, or is the fibro causing the depression. It's the same with lots of other things. It's hard to pin point the cause of anything.
potatohead
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mrshank83 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I definitely agree with the chicken and the egg scenario. I suffer the worst anxiety when I have new symptoms, I'm suffering with it badly now, as I've gone months with hardly any trouble and now it's really showing itself big time :-(

It does help talking to my doctor but there are times when it's lonely because people do find it hard to understand. I've been getting flare ups lasting a few days then feeling great then it hits me again, this has been going on for a couple of months now, so disheartening when I've done so well until now, just feel useless to my kids but I have a good family who help me. Just hoping I get a break soon! X
Mrshank83
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 pm

HI
I take 40mg of Citalopram in the morning, its the first thing I do along with 200mg of Gabapentin, then after my breakfast I take 60mg of Codine Phosphate & more of the codine & Gabapentin later on. Then between 5 & 6 I take Gabapentin with 50mg of Amitriptyline, I have tried different doses of the Amitriptyline but have settled on the 50mg, the doc did sujest stopping it once as I told him I always feel tierd but I told him " if he did this I wouldn't be able to fall asleep at all no matter how tierd I was, my head just spins around with all kinds of things some not even making sence, so he kept me on it as he would rather I take that than sleeping pills. The one thing I hate about Amitriptyline is the constant dry mouth I have, so I have to have a drink with me at all times or my mouth taste horrid & I can struggle to swallow. I still suffer constant pain but it is milder & I still have flare ups, also tierd & lack of energy, but I think without these it would be hopeless to cope at all. I can take Codine 60mg upto 4 times a day & take Ibrufen & Parasetomol if needed.

I don't know if any of us will be completely sorted out with med's!!!
Take care Katz65
xxx
katz65
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication