[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Unsuccessful trip to Dr

Unsuccessful trip to Dr

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Unsuccessful trip to Dr

Postby JemmaB88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:02 am

Hi all,

Just got back in from a trip to the Dr's. First time for a little while actually. Saw the Dr who I have had the most luck with, the one who listens to me and wants to help.

Well I had a few things I wanted to talk about but my mouth seemed to stop working when I got in there and I was all flustered and felt like I was wasting his time (idiot!). He did notice I was wincing when I sat down and asked me if the nortriptyline was helping or not. I said I didn't think so. So he said I am on such a low dose (10mg) that I should increase this before we try anything else. So from tonight I need to take 2 tablets. He wants to see me in a couple of weeks to see if any changes have occurred.

I asked about more pain relief. I was on 30-60mg codeine up to 3 times a day. This seemed to work very well and I was able to get on with work etc. I felt a bit woozy sometimes but otherwise I would be able to cope. Side effects caused digestive issues then problems with fissures etc so I was taken off of them and not given anything else. When I asked for them again today or something similar, I was told to take paracetamol..... I already take the maximum dose daily. He said to continue with the double dose of nortriptyline and carry on.

Bit miserable to be honest, I feel like I need some pain relief but he is not willing to give me any. I need something. I was just in boots on the way back to the car and saw a Tens machine. I thought I would do some research before I buy one.

Does anyone use a Tens machine with any effect? I don't want to spend £30 on something that gets put away after a couple of days.

Thanks all,

Jem. xxx
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Unsuccessful trip to Dr

Postby Otter65 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Jem

My doctor seems to understand but as you say not always and it seems that once you come off a certain drug they are very reluctant to let you go back on it.

In regards to aTENS machine I have two small ones which just work off batterries so they can be used anywhere and are very discrete so I have one at work so if the pain gets too much and I cann't take any medication they really help to ease the pain.

It take a while to find the setting and position that works best for you but when you do I wouldn't be without mine. :-D :-)

:goodluck2:

Sarah
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Sorry your usually helpful GP decided to take a bit of a leaf out of the book that some of the others tend to follow :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Have you considering asking why he is reluctant to prescribe you anything else???

I use a TENs machine these days, and whilst it doesn't take it all away, it does enough for me to get moving again. As well as running off batteries, the one I have can also be plugged in and used. When plugged in, additional settings are available that also use heat and massage to help with things. I've found this helpful when my knees have stiffened up in the night, I run it on a suitable setting a couple of times, with the pads in different positions and helps give me enough movement so I can get out of bed and get myself going, albeit very slowly these days :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby frances A » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:28 pm

re. unsuccessful dr trip- to be honest, once I was told 15+ years ago that the previous 20yrs of pain etc was something called Fibromyalgia I have always felt it was a case of ' well, you have a diagnosis, it has a name, it covers everything - what more do you want ?' or is it just me? :(
frances A
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

I think it all comes down to the doc you see Frances. So far I've been very fortunate with the people I've seen as, apart from the rheumy who dx'd me being rude, everyone else has been really good. Suggestions about options and things to try have always been forthcoming, and anything that I have asked about has always answered properly, not dismissed or glossed over.

There are the good ones out there, and they are gradually increasing in numbers, unfortunately it's the dinosaurs that still dominating everything :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 am

Morning all,

I guess I was being a bit pessimistic yesterday. It wasn't altogether unsuccessful. I have had an increase in my current meds and he does want to see me again soon, so he didn't write me off entirely.

I wanted some kind of pain relief as it is becoming a constant problem. He isn't keen on giving me codeine as it will cause all the problems I had last time (won't go in to it again but it was constipation related). He has said he doesn't want to give me something and then more drugs to treat the side effects of the original drug. I can see his point but what I fail to understand is how I can be left, in agony some times, with paracetamol. I take between 6 and 8 every day (to little effect I might add). When I told him this he said, 'well that is getting to the maximum dose so don't take any more than that.'

Regarding Fluppy's question, why won't he prescribe anything else, is that he feels the Para's will be enough to keep me going. I think he also feels that as I am working, I am coping. Every time I visit him he asks me where I am working. He asked me yesterday. Next time I go, which will have to be in a month as I am working 6 day weeks for the whole of August (! No idea how I am going to cope with that!!!), I am going to tell him the truth, I can't cope.

I understand Dr's don't like to prescribe strong medications to patients, especially Fibro patients it seems, but I am struggling to cope with it now. I am on holiday from work for 3 days this week, and today, I am huddled on the sofa with the duvet looking like a sith lord.

Come pay day, or OH pay day as that is closer, I will get a Tens unit and have a go with that. It might help, so worth a try. I have read online that some peoples pain has increased with it though so I won't put all my faith in it.

Hay ho.

Jem xx
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 am

I know I have suggested this else where on the forum but as I can't remember where I am repeating it here (sorry)

Try keeping a record of your pains and how they effect you . I use a diary and just jot down a little note in each days space. Then before you next visit your GP either type up on a computer or get somebody else to the l ist of how you feel and when and how it effects you ability to do things.
It was only after I did this that I feel one of my GP's seemed to take more notice plus you don't have to try and explain thing .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby JemmaB88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:04 am

Iceskatemum;
I had read this somewhere else on forum, probably when you mentioned it to someone else. I have been doing this since the beginning of the month. I have not noticed a pattern as yet. Next visit, I will take it with me to show him.
Thank you for your advice.x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 am

Jem wrt TENs machines, you could try contacting your area's physio dept for some advice, they should be able to tell you about things such as the possibility/likelihood that it could make things worse. They may even have some recommendations about systems that have been proven to be the most effective.

It's a good number of years since I had physio, but at the time my area were part of a scheme that would lend TENs units out to patients for a limited period of time to see how helpful they might be. I know it's a bit of long shot now, with how things are, but it might be worth asking if there is such a scheme in your area, it would give you a chance to try before you buy as well as give you an idea about how effective it could be for you.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby wikid » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:05 pm

every trip I have to any dr is unsuccessful! Even pain management clinic was the same, was told because I'm allergic to codeine, tramadol and all old antidepressants that there was nothing could be done for me :shock: :?: :!: :evil: . On the plus side I have a wonderful physio who has loaned me a TENS machine and I find it really helps with mobility :-D
wikid
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication