[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Flupiritine

Flupiritine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Flupiritine

Postby TATT » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks FP,

On my box it's called Metanor
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:14 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 am

interesting Perseus and good that you are getting some pre treatment baseline liver testing done as it seems liver problems with long term use is where the drug falls down, hence the recommendation to use it for 2 weeks max. Although if I'm honest given my pain levels over the last few months even 2 weeks being able to cope sounds like a good trade off .

This got me thinking and I had a quick look at some of the goodies in my medicine cabinet , quite a few raise concerns about one thing or the other and I know I have never been offered , tests for my potassium levels , liver function test, blood pressure testing on a regular basis etc.etc.

this got me thinking , how many of us get regular check ups and reviews for the side effects of the drugs we are taking.

it seems (in my experience I hasten to add) that more and more in the current NHS its sticking plaster only type of medicine and those with chronic conditions are left to remember to manage their own appointments for check ups & reviews. Hospitals near me don't even keep you on a review system any more as it counts against their stats . If you are meant to be seen on a 9 month or yearly basis it's better for the Hospital Departments report if they discharge you and then ask you to get the GP to ask for a new referral 6 months down the line!

its no wonder that hospital doctors seem to know so little about the management of this illness if there is no follow up to initial DX.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby perseus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:13 am

Dr Jenner believes the risks with Liver problems are overblown, and would be prescribing a high dose for a much longer period. This is 2 raising to 6 tablets (600mg) a day, although with another liver test after a time. In fact I'm not sure if there is any plan to come off them.

I think to get the full benefit the higher dose is required.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:12 pm

I've just started it today @100mgx4 per day, after healthy liver test which will be repeated in a few weeks
perseus

Postby perseus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I've been taking Flupirtine for about 4 weeks now 2 weeks on the highest dose around 600mg per day, in addition to my usual duloxetine.

I wouldn't say it has been very effective at removing the neck and shoulder pain yet, but I've had a dog pulling it lately, perhaps I would have been far worse otherwise? Unfortunately, it has reduced my sleep which doesn't help either and I need sleeping tablets (zopiclone) to gain even 6 hrs of with difficulty. I've an appointment with my GP in a few weeks. He prefers me to take the sleeping pills only on an occasional basis since they are addictive so not too sure what to do.

One thing the Flupirtine has been very good at is reducing the pain of sensitive teeth and headaches though. I will persevere and keep you updated.

PS my second liver test was fine but it was so difficult getting the results to be sent out to my private consultant in time to write the prescription.
perseus

Postby TATT » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 am

I took this drug for a year. It helped me sleep and relax but did not help with pain. Earlier this year I had an operation so had more drugs than usual. Every night I took to flupiritine together for bed that made up my six. One night I had taken one at 10pm and forgot then at 11 took my usual 2 for bed.

I had a reaction where I started to shut down, hard to speak swallow, my insides felt like thousands of small space ships bouncing off the inside walls of my body, my vision went blurry and my finger nails went black. Lasted about 10 minutes. 2 nights later just with my regular two it happened mildly again. So I stopped them, infact I stopped all my drugs. Because I just realised how toxic they all were. ( I am not giving advise here just telling my story)

Anyway, stopping tramadol I noticed I did not jerk anymore, flupiritine made me lightheaded so this stopped. Amitriptyline gave me nightmares now this has stopped. Okay so back to flupiritine this may sound Barmy but the year I was on it I believe it sorted or say calmed my nervous system/amygdala down. Since then I take nothing but the odd tramadol or paracetamol and I sleep which is AMAZING and healing. I put this down to flupirtine. It can stop you sleeping at first.

So I would not change anything other than to say that my body was overloaded with drugs and morphine I was wearing Butrans patches etc and it over dosed me. The silver lining is I am drug free, I drink clay water everyday, I juice raw veg and fruit, I do daily coffee enemas, I eat only fresh food now. I am also able to gently exercise and life is 70% better.

I still have to pace my body does get painful if I do too much but I can do more. I think flupiritine had a huge help in this. Six personally was too many for me. I still have not seen my GP about what happened as I feel too well to see him which is brilliant. I wish you luck with it, yes I had liver tests too thy were fine.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:52 am

I'm gradually coming off this drug due to side effects, mainly insomnia, itching, dry mouth and faeces, but little change in pain.
perseus

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26 am

Sorry to hear it hasn't really helped :( :( :(

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Me too perseus but maybe the next thing might be the magic one that helps :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication