Help/Advice Needed!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help/Advice Needed!

Postby Triss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Currently I have tried a few different treatments for my fibro and had not much luck with them:

Paracetamol (doesn't even scratch the surface of the pain)
Codeine / Co-Codamol (no effect on pain)
Tramadol (no effect on pain, even at a high dose)
Gabapentin (no effect and increases my blood glucose levels)
Pregabalin (weight gain and increases my blood glucose levels)
Cervical Facet Injections (slight effect but short lasting)
Oramorph (no real effect on pain)
Cymbalta (effected me really REALLY badly)

I have also tried acupuncture (no effect), acupressure (made things worse), reflexology (no effect), aromatherapy (no effect) and physiotherapy (made pain levels much worse).

I am currently taking Citalopram (30mg in the morning) and Amitriptyline (75mg in the evening) and have done since about 2009-ish but at the moment my pain levels are through the roof and I honestly cannot cope any more.
My mood is lower than it's ever been and I feel like I am falling apart.

I am (hopefully) seeing my doctor tomorrow (if I can get an appointment) and I have been researching other treatment/medication ideas but was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas to take with me?

In case it's an important thing, I also take Victoza, Metformin and Glimepiride for diabetes, Ropinerole for restless legs and Fexofenadine as an antihistamine.

~Triss x
Triss
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help/Advice Needed!

Postby denys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:50 am

Triss you are on a lot of meds (I'm on victoza too) maybe its time for a full meds review, talk to your doc about it and dump those meds that dont help at all and maybe with a bit of tweaking of the others you might get a bit more relief, I agree with Lisa regarding the other trreatments.

Have you tried the talking therapies as well they can sometimes help us to cope with the pain a little better and also heat I find direct heat can help a little too :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you find something that gives you relief
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Triss » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:20 pm

I've never heard of trigger point therapy so that's going on the list - thank you!
I've got a couple of muscle relaxants on the list as well, so I'm glad someone else has mentioned them.

Pilates - I knew I had missed something off my "had tried" list. Tried Pilates and a form of Yoga (I have no idea which it was though) and the extension of my joints was unbearable; after 3 months I had to stop.

I had a medication review a couple of months ago and the list of things I'm taking are the ones that have some degree of effect so I'm reluctant to stop any of them at the moment; especially the three for diabetes.

I'm keen to get something in place before the middle of August as I'm due for day surgery and the anesthetic (and type of surgery) will leave me with a nasty flare up so I will need all the help I can get!
Triss
UKFM Newbie

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm

:wave: and :welcome: triss

stress is a huge contributor and more stress leads to more pain and more pain leads to more stress and round and round it goes :crazy:
and the thought of having surgery in a couple of weeks might increase your anxiety and stress levels too
plus assumeing the worst outcome ie that you will have a "nasty flare up" doesn't help either

agree with denys regards talking therapy/learning strategies to manage stress better in order to manage pain better/overall being better

the difference between having little stress and/or having (just the) little bit more stress makes a lot of difference to me and my welbeing
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication