2010 ACR Criteria for the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

2010 ACR Criteria for the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:09 am

I was surfing through the pages of FibroAction and came across an article about the 2010 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria for the Diagnosis of FM. It is quite technical and if honest had to read through the article a few times as I found it quite complex first thing on a Sunday morning . :-?

However when it was discussing symptom severity levels I came across a list of symptoms that they may use in determining your SS (symptom Severity )score .

" *Somatic symptoms that might be considered: muscle pain, irritable bowel syndrome, fatigue/tiredness, thinking or remembering problem, muscle weakness, headache, pain/cramps in the abdomen, numbness/tingling, dizziness, insomnia, depression, constipation, pain in the upper abdomen, nausea, nervousness, chest pain, blurred vision, fever, diarrhea, dry mouth, itching, wheezing, Raynaud’s phenomenon, hives/welts, ringing in ears, vomiting, heartburn, oral ulcers, loss of/change in taste, seizures, dry eyes, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, rash, sun sensitivity, hearing difficulties, easy bruising, hair loss, frequent urination, painful urination, and bladder spasms."1

Many of these I had come across before but the one that jumped out of the page at me was hearing difficulties as I have been getting quite annoyed with my fluctuating hearing and it has been on my list of things to talk to the GP about .

My daughter in particular is always accusing me of not listening to her , when the truth is I just didn't catch what was said particularly at the end of a sentance and the rest of the family are constantly fed up with me when I ask for them to repeat something I didn't quite catch or I have the TV up quite loud. While at other times things seem very loud while the rest of the family are content that the volume of the Tv is normal .

Are there other symptoms on the list that you have but didn't know could be FM related.

Of course like other have said before me ,although it seems everything we get is FM related , you never know. So if you have any new symptoms they should be checked out by your GP just to make sure that they are nothing else.

This is the full reference to the text should any one be interested

1.Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katz RS, Mease P, Russell AS, Russell IJ, Winfield JB, Yunus MB. The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010 May;62(5):600-10.

Just shows the old wives tale is true " You do learn somethign new every day"

:grouphug:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: 2010 ACR Criteria for the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

Postby Mrsscowie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am

Thank you for this. My family have been complaining for some time about my hearing exactly the same as your daughter. My GP is quite dismissive and I am reluctant to ask him about this. I get the feeling he not that interested. I would like to change practice but may end up with a worse GP.

Anyway I will show this to my husband and see what we can come up with to make it a bit easier for me.
Mrsscowie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:43 am

Glad that it might help Mrsscowie, I have only turned 50 last year and was getting quite worried about the loss of hearing especially as I thought it a bit early for the normal loss some get in old age.
Am going to bring the article to my GP and see what she suggests.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Smurfy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm

This is interesting, I have recurring mouth ulcers, really dry eyes, itchy skin and hadn't really connected they might all be Fibro related. Hope everyone gets a good night sleep ready for Monday morning :-D Bring it on! :lol:
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info ISM :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Wackers34 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm

Just a quick note on mouth ulcers - I was getting many before fibro and dentist recommended corsodyl toothpaste...it has worked for me and all my family :o)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby Smurfy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks Wackers34 I'll try that x
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby olwynam1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 am

I've been light sensitive for some time now, but recently have been having problems with sound sensitivity. Sudden noises such as a sneeze or sudden cough, door slamming, etc startles me and makes my head feel like its spinning inside and dizzy. Also, I can't hear properly if there's background noise, the background noise drowns everything else out. I couldn't hear the TV the other day because someone was turning the pages of a newspaper!!
Anyone else have this going on? :crazy:
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I call it my sensory overload. My surroundings become too loud and totally overwhelming and I feel like something bad is going to happen. I panic and if I can't get out of the situation, I'll feel very stressed and a lot of tension builds up. You could even call it aggression but because of my mental health it won't be directed towards others.

Very frustrating this. Most of the time I'll now carry earplugs with me or relaxing music on my mp3 player.

People who know me are used to me asking them to repeat what they said. It's mainly brain fog related but I know sometimes I just didn't hear it all. Doesn't mean they'll like it but I guess if they have to repeat it, out makes no difference to them why. :dunno:

It just hit me that my mum was like this a lot of time. Makes me wonder if it could run in families.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication