Vitamin D and sunshine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Vitamin D and sunshine

Postby Lemonie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

Hi

I have been diagnosed with Fibro but not really sure it's the correct diagnosis for me. I also have severe Vitamin D deficiency which probably explains why they originally diagnosed me with osteoporosis from the initial MRI scan. I have been diagnosed Fultium 800ui 3 times daily for 3 months and then down to one a day forever. During this time we have had all the hot weather and I have made an effort to spend as much time out in it as possible and my symptoms have all but disappeared! I still have my lower back pain but have been able to exercise and walk (not stand still) for hours with little pain. This is unheard of for me.

HOWEVER. Now the sun has gone and am just taking the Fultium and the fatigue has returned with a vengeance. Is there a safe alternative to a sunbed to give me the same effect as having been in the sun? Am not meaning a tan but the same health benefits?
Lemonie
UKFM Member

Re: Vitamin D and sunshine

Postby PennyJ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi there,
I too was diagnosed with Fibro a couple of years ago, just by chance I saw a locum doctor at my surgery this spring and she suggested I have my vitamin D levels checked and lo and behold they were low. Now I take supplements and sit in the sun for 25 minutes at least three times a week without sunscreen,at the moment it is almost every day. Even if the sun is not shining you can still get some Vitamin D at a lower dose but at least it is some..just get out in daylight..
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 am

Ask your GP, I'm sure there must be things that can help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Vitamin D and sunshine

Postby lrgatrell88 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 am

I have a severe vitamin d deficiency too. I've heard that there is a special light box that can be used without the harmful stuff in sunbeds but not sure how much they are or where to get them. It's something I keep meaning to look up before the winter kicks in. Xx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:28 pm

hi, i was low in vit d and given supliments, have now been told they are normal,

but for me it has made little diffrence re pain or fatigue,

but there is options for artificial sun as they use it for skin problems but sorry dont know what it is called.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication