Has anyone been on a graded exercise program?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Has anyone been on a graded exercise program?

Postby perseus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Exercise is supposed to be one of the best things for fibromyalgia, but I'm trying to get an understanding what level people start and finish at. How many miles did you walk or lengths swam per week? Did you progress to weights, cycling, or even jogging!

Has anyone managed to keep one up long term and did they experience any increases or decreases in pain along the course?

Does anyone here feel as if they couldn't manage to start such a regime?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Re: Has anyone been on a graded exercise program?

Postby Foz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Hello,

I have not been given any particular program for exercise, just told to do some.
I walk the dog for as long as comfortable, some days 4 miles other days can only manage 1.5.
My doctor told me to do some cardiovascular and I believe weights are not good for us as they tear the muscles too much.
I enjoy the vibro machine at the gym or wobble board some people call it.
I was not happy at first when the doctor almost suggested I didn't do any as I love walking and cycling but its very discouraging when it knackers you out so much. Makes you feel like 'whats the point'.
I completed the Moonwalk marathon (for breast cancer) for 2 years running and both times took about 3 months to recover not realising I had fm.
But when a flare up hits and knocks me out for a couple of weeks, I have to start all over again with the fitness - as if I never did it in the first place, quite annoying but I am getting use to it now.
I would swim but that means getting wet and i'm not keen on that :)
Hope you find something you enjoy
Tracy
Foz
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication