Amitriptyline - tired all the time!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline - tired all the time!

Postby csangel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi guys,

So I was diagnosed January time, put on amitriptyline in February and had the dosage upped to 20mg April time (I think?!). I think there has been a whole mix of things contributing to my feeling better, including finally coming out of a 6 month flare, finding out I was vit D deficient, and the amis too, as well as learning how to cope differently, etc. :crazy:

But I'm feeling constantly tired.... exhausted.... ALL the time! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: I work full time (40 hours) so have been trying to pace, have early nights, take things carefully in the week, and catch up at weekends but it doesn't make much difference...I feel like I have a reasonable handle on things, ish.... My query was wondering if anyone has any experience of this being due to the meds, rather than just fibro? I felt awful this time last year, but I'm completely exhausted and can't get on top of it! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

At the same time, I'm worried that if I request to come of the amis the pain may spike again and I can't spend this winter the same way I spent the last one... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Another consideration - we've been thinking about starting a family, but haven't spoken to the pain clinic about it yet - I'm waiting on a pain management course to start next month, but think I'll just have to ring the pain clinic and try and get an appointment with their doctor... not going to bother with the GP - more effort than it's worth! :roll:

Sorry - rambling a bit now! Question really is: I know the exhaustion is likely to be down to the fibro, but will the amis have an affect on it and has anyone any experience/suggestion/ideas? :crazy:

Thank you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Health is not valued until sickness comes. ~Thomas Fuller
csangel
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline - tired all the time!

Postby fibrobilly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi
I have been on Ami for a few yrs ,100mg, but the last few months I have felt tired and lethargic, went to doc's, had various test and I am anemic, still waiting to see what they are going to do about it.
So might be worth going to your doc.
take care
fibrobilly
UKFM Member

Postby andie30 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi im on 75mg of amitriptyline and also low on vitamin d and b12 and folic acid but i ave trouble wakin up but i always tired even b4 the meds.
andie30
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jules9165 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 pm

I was diagnosed last November with Fibro, also extremely low Vitamin D. My Dr prescribed Gabapentin but it did nothing, also tramadol which was useless. I was put on a high dose of Vitamin D in December, which, my Dr told me could take a long time to show any difference. I has my last blood test for Vitamin D 6 weeks ago and it showed that I was the lower end of what is considered 'normal'.I feel much better than I did 6 months ago, and should continue to feel better as my Vit D levels increase. however, the biggest difference to my Fibro has been changing my diet. I follow The Blood Type Diet, devised by Dr Peter D'Adamo,I would strongly recommend you read this book, it has changed my life. You can buy it on Amazon for about £7. It's quite difficult to cut things out at the beginning, but you will eventually see a difference. I now manage my pain with Co-Codamol and Ibuprofen, but only when the pain is too bad to cope with. Keep up the Vitamin D supplements too, and also Magnesium, best used as a spray.

Hope some of this is useful

Good luck and gentle hugs

Julie
Jules9165
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kristina » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I was on 10mg of Amitriptyline and I like you felt tired all the time, not just fibro tired, but I really can't keep my eyes open tired. I also work full time so as you know it was a nightmare. I made the decision to stop taking it and best thing I've done, been off it now for 2 months and I don't feel so groggy any more, at the weekends I could sleep until 12noon and still feel tired, now I wake up feeling alert around 8ish and this was unheard off a few months ago. I'm in no way saying come off the meds, I'm just saying it worked for me! ;-) xxx
Kristina
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Maybe go back to the docs, there are other tablets you can try and maybe ami's arent for you :!: :!: :!:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Wackers34 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:18 pm

yeah Im on 50mg of Ami too...it seems to help my pain but makes me sooo tired and groggy. The doc said we could try Notriptyline (sister drug) as this has less side effects - Ami screws up my mouth also with the dry throat side effect...maybe go back to the doctor and ask about Notriptyline (wish I could spell these!) Take care x
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm not on amitryptiline & I'm tired all the time. My consultant said its probably because I don't get enough deep sleep as that's part of fibro. I felt this was rubbish so downloaded an iPhone app called sleepbot to monitor & track my sleep patterns. At the moment I've been signed off so not at work during the day & with both night sleep & daytime snoozes I'm averaging 15 hrs per day of which 80% is deep sleep...
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:35 am

Is the sleep bot based on movement though? It maybe that your not moving a lot in your sleep and therefore it counts it as deep sleep, when in fact it could be light...The only sure way to detect this is to get a sleep study done...I too am signed off work
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby csangel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:15 am

Thank you for your replies :-)

Bit of a mixed bag isn't it?! Not been offered another blood test for my vitamin D levels - will see about requesting one... I was tired before, yes, but I'm sure I wasn't so completely exhausted all the time! It was more a drained feeling I think?

I'm a little worried about trying to come off them before winter hits, as I don't know how I'll be with it this year... I wasn't on the amis last year and it was awful - but I was in a really bad flare from June time, so hopefully won't be as bad this year! :yikes: :yikes:

I'm going to do a bit more research - don't want to rush into it particularly, and also see what the pain clinic pain management course is like, and then go from there. I've been offered alternative meds before - which I turned down as I felt amitriptyline was helping enough, and wanted to cope by pacing etc., rather than lots of drugs, but I don't want to get on a different drug, then have to come off it when we start trying for a family!

Will go and talk to the pain clinic doctor first. Have booked a few odd days holiday to make some long weekends and try and catch up with a bit of sleep. Hopefully I'll get things sorted soon - can't carry on like this much longer :nono: :nono: :nono:
Health is not valued until sickness comes. ~Thomas Fuller
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 am

Sleepbot is based on sound & movement I know its not as accurate as a sleep study but I've been told they aren't available on the NHS
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 pm

yeah your right...I found one in Birmingham that does part private part NHS - So you pay £200 for the consultation and then your doctor refers you and its a 6 week waiting list..I got told the same, however I have found a few links that offer NHS ones like:

http://www.papworthhospital.nhs.uk/docs ... ep_Studies
http://www.sleep-study.co.uk/still-tire ... ours-sleep

Not sure if these are out of date though
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby toplessbug » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Amitriptyline was no good for me it made me really ill and I had really bad sickness.

Sent with gentle hugs xxxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication