Venlafaxine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Venlafaxine

Postby melrose305 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 pm

recently been diagnosed with fibro & was given amitriptyline which i couldnt get on with at all, it didnt help me with my sleeping but made me feel really out of it & spaced out the following day, i work fulltime so couldnt do my job feeling that way, ive spoken to my gp today & he has told me to try venlafaxine, just wondering has anybody tried these? if so with what side effects? i also take co-codamol for pain but again causes me to feel a bit strange (just think im a bit strange!!!), any help would be much appreciated :-D

melrose x
melrose305
UKFM Newbie

Re: Venlafaxine

Postby denys » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Sorry I havent ever had this one but have heard of it, hopefully a member who knows something about it will be along soon :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 am

More commonly known as Effexor or in the trade "side-effexor" It is a "dirty drug" in the sense it has loads of side effects, but I never had any problems with it personally until I started to come off it after having been on it for 18 months, If I made any sudden movements my brain seemed to continue to move despite my head being still. My sister had horrendous dreams when she was on it, but then it was the wrong drug for the condition she was later diagnosed with. For me it was a really effective drug, I was on it for depression around 15 years ago, I haven't been treated for depression since, although I am now on an anti-depressant because of my fibro and I am actually feeling a bit low so it is likely I will be back on one. It is worth a try but I would personally ask your GP if there are any alternative drugs you could try first. My consultant gave my GP a list of 3 drugs to try, the first one is Citalopram, 2nd one Prozac and the third I can't remember but I know it is expensive but relatively effective at treating FMS according to people in my local support group and some literature I have read. Lyrica can also be prescribed and I have heard good things about this. I hope I don't put you off, because as I said Effexor worked for me, it was just very difficult to wean off, not a problem if you are going to be on it long term x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 am

Been on this for years and it has all been positive experiences for me. Not had any side effects I can think off but then I haven't tried to come off it. However If I forget to order more I do tend to feel a bit funny should i forget a couple of doses but all comes right after I take my next dose.
Would look up side effects and discuss again with GP if you are worried . Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Hellyn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:00 am

I was on Venlafaxine for 6 years, previously many other types of antideps..I have just been officially diagnosed with Fibro with new criteria due to Post Interferon Syndrome, treatment for Hep C. I have been juicing and have taken myself off Venlafaxine..with some awful withdrawals..mainly the brain zaps, irritability and downright feeling awful. The upside, I can feel, I can think clearer and feel back as myself.
My gp doesn't know yet as she is on a long holiday..but the consultant who gave me my diagnosis was impressed that I had weaned myself off them...but she...did not know about the 'brain zaps', tremors, electrical disturbances that I have been experiencing. So I question what do the medical services really know?
After being a RGN and re-evaluating my so called medical training I now question the efficacy of the drugs they give out so readily to 'cure and treat' and now working towards natural remedy and self treatment..diet has a lot to play in that and can have some amazing results with fibro.
I did not realise how numbed I was on Venlafaxine till a month after being off it totally, how dulled and robot like...never again. Especially if the people giving them to me have no idea of the withdrawal effects and longterm issues it gives....after research it will take at least 6 months to rid my body of the effects of the drug and have started 5-HTP to redress and make the transition smoother and avoid any slips backwards into the hole.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication