[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - COMING OFF GABAPENTIN

COMING OFF GABAPENTIN

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

COMING OFF GABAPENTIN

Postby sknowles456 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm

I would appreciate views from anyone who has or is coming off gabapentin. I am doubting its efficiency and the weight gain has been tremendous. I currently take a 300mg tablet 3 times a day and was thinking of cutting down to twice a day and then once a day or is that in too bigger quantities, will i need to cut down by say 100mg at a time. I will ask my GP for advice once i come back off my holiday but would like any feedback from fellow sufferers if possible.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: COMING OFF GABAPENTIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Not had the Gabas personally, but from what I can recall from what others have said about coming off it, it seems to be best done very very gradually, so talking to your GP about it would be the best thing to do.

As I said, I haven't tried Gabapentin, but I have had to come off certain meds before I have been able to start a new one. I found it better to reduce my dosage by the smallest prescribible amount possible as well as allowing a couple of weeks between each reduction. If I tried to do it any faster and/or with anything other than the smallest amount possible, the withdrawal/side effects were almost intolerable for all the time I was coming off the med.

If you haven't already been asked about it, when you mention about coming off the Gabas, your GP may suggest trying Pregabalin. It is a very similar med to Gabas and is often described as a cleaned up version of Gabapentin. For some, when the Gabas aren't helpful, Pregabalin can be much more effective. It's downside tho is that weight gain can also be a side effect.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby PhoebeCat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 pm

I was on 4 x 300mg, three times a day and my doctor had me cutting it down over three weeks, reducing to 3 x, three times a day then 2x, three times a day then 1x, three times a day and I was fine. I didnt think that they were working too well for me but since I have changed to Pregabalin, I can see that they were. Good luck
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby purrrcatty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

My dr just took me off them stopped them not slowly or anything i had no side effects but dont think they were working any way but the weight i put on was 12lb in 6 weeks so was not happy since i had lost over 2 stone before i started them :( x x
purrrcatty
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:55 pm

You should always consult your doc and follow the plan they set out :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication