[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Taking too many vitamins cause more harm than good?

Taking too many vitamins cause more harm than good?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Taking too many vitamins cause more harm than good?

Postby Wackers34 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am

I take a whole load of supplements, have been for months now...After a recent blood test, i found i was really high in the B Viitamins and calcium and vitamin D...in fact too high in bs and calcium...i have now stopped taking B complex and im not sure if its coincidence, but the tingling in my arms and hand has stopped.
Although I dont take calcium, i take magnesium so I was wondering could this be causing high calcium absorption? I have read that too much calcium can make you edgy

Even though the doctor has told me its fine to take all the supplements I am taking, I was wondering if anyone else has had negative experiences with vitamins.

Here is a list of what I was taking in case it helps:

Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Olive Leaf Extract
Probiotic
Magnesium Malate
Fish Oils
Eve primrose oil and starflower oil
Coenzyme Q10
Zinc

The medication I am on is: Amitriptyline 50mg and Propaponal 40mg (beta blocker)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Taking too many vitamins cause more harm than good?

Postby PennyJ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 am

Hi there,
I too take vitamin supplements..Coenzyme Q10 100 mg. Turmeric. Vitamin D3. Occasionally vitamin C with Zinc. I take my probiotics with my Goats Milk yoghurt I was taking Omega 3 capsules for my high cholesterol but it made not the slightest so gave up on that one have now stopped eating red meat, miss that of course.
I am on thyroxine (low dose) and Gabapentin 100 mg four times a day but feel I may have to increase the dosage soon as it doesn't have the same effect that it did to start with
I just wish to be pain free and a bit more energetic, I don't work anymore in fact retired last year and now have my NHS pension for what its worth, am looking forward to my state pension in Jan next year (never thought I would be saying that) nice to have some more money in the bank. I did come off the Coenzyme Q10 once and didn't I know it, I did wonder if I needed it and yes I did. Just started taking the turmeric for my cholesterol and the effects of osteoarthritis which I think I now have. Got a hospital appointment in couple of weeks. it seems it is one thing after another.... Keep your pecker up you are not alone...
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby Moobaloo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:52 am

That's quite a cocktail of supplements you're taking, must cost you a small fortune!

Prescriptions I take are Sertraline 100mg, Tramadol 50-100mg, Amitriptyline 100mg & sometimes diazepam for anxiety.

Daily supplements: CoQ10 100mg, L-Carnitine fumarate 855mg, multi vitamin with iron & a B complex (but when that runs out I'll probs switch to a high dose B12 1-2 times a week)

I've found taking 100mg CoQ10 has helped me - I ran out & thought I'd see how it went & soon felt like dog-doo.
The L-Carnitine is supposed to help your body use body fat as energy at a cellular level - it's deffo helped me shift some weight & I think it's helped with general energy levels in combo with the CoQ10.
I take a multivitamin & iron because I'm veggie- almost vegan & although I don't really eat processed foods or ready-meals, I'm often not capable of cooking a proper balanced meal.
Like I say, I don't think the B complex is doing much, but I'll use up what I have & then switch to using a high dose B12 once a week.
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby ecologisttobe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Hello,

I had to stop taking the B vitamin complex as B6 (or so I read it was B6) was causing tingling and chest pain!! I felt awful!!

I do take CO-Q10 (120mg), Ginseng (600mg), Folic Acid (400 ug), Iodine (300mg), Multivitamin & Mineral which has suitable levels so you don't end up overdosing on too much vitamin pills combined with vitamin in food.

I also take B12 (1000 mcg) once a week at a high dose. It says daily but that also causes chest pain.

I also take Megadolphilus which makes my IBS a lot better.

I try and get as many vitamins from food as possible so usually I eat hemp seeds and flaxseed CO-Q10 mix daily.
ecologisttobe
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:32 pm

It is possible that taking higher levels of some vitamins can cause more harm than good. It hasn't helped that advice relating to vitamin and mineral supplementation constantly changes. Over the past few years tho, research has indicated that some supplements that were thought to be beneficial disease prevention may not in fact be helping, and some may even be causing harm.

Research included the Iowa Women's Health Study, which tracked the supplementation habits of more than 38,000 women aged 55+ for nearly 20 years. Among the findings, taking a multivitamin appeared to increase risk of premature death. Interestingly, the people who took multivitamins actually had better overall health habits than those that didn't.

These studies have shown there is increasing evidence against taking most supplements for general health or disease prevention. There are exceptions, as calcium and vitamin D for bone health, but even the exceptions need to be approached with caution.

Whilst many people take supplements as an "insurance policy" against inadequate nutrition, in developed countries, such deficiencies tend to be relatively uncommon, unless there is a predisposing condition. Taking supplements for this reason quite often provides these nutrients far in excess of what's necessary for good health.

Another reason people take supplements is to help prevent serious diseases. Studies have consistently shown that diets high in antioxidant-rich fruits, vegetables and other plant foods are associated with lower rates of cancer and heart disease. However, when supplements were looked at, including antioxidants such as beta carotene and vitamins A and E, very little benefit has been seen, and there is some evidence they may actually cause harm.

Plant foods contain hundreds of beneficial compounds called phytonutrients. Singling out a few specific vitamins as being beneficial appears to be too simplistic. Also, some vitamins occur in many forms -- and supplements may not provide the right forms in the right amounts.

Potentially risky vitamin and mineral supplements include:
1. Vitamin E: A 2012 review of research published in the Cochrane Database found that taking daily vitamin E supplements may increase the risk of dying prematurely.

2. Vitamin A: The same review found large doses of vitamin A supplements were also associated with an increased risk of dying prematurely. Supplementation with beta-carotene, a compound that's converted to vitamin A by the body, was also shown to increase risk of death, especially for smokers or former smokers. Since vitamin A deficiency is relatively rare, it may not be worth taking this supplement.

3. Folic acid (vitamin B-9): Most older adults consume adequate folate. Supplementation helps prevent birth defects, but evidence of other benefits has been elusive.

4. Vitamin B-6: Large daily doses of vitamin B-6 -- more than 100 milligrams (mg) -- can over time cause nerve damage.

5. Vitamin B-3 (niacin): High doses can help lower high cholesterol levels, but this should be done only under the supervision of a doctor. Side effects, including severe liver disease, can occur.

6. Iron: In healthy men and postmenopausal women, iron deficiency is relatively rare. If you're in one of these categories and iron deficient, further evaluation may be considered. There is some evidence that too much iron is associated with adverse effects, including possible increased mortality.

7. Trace minerals: Copper, chromium, magnesium, selenium and zinc are among the essential trace minerals. However, there isn't any solid evidence that trace mineral supplementation has any benefit in the absence of deficiency -- which is rare.

Supplements that older adults may consider taking include:
1. Calcium: A meta-analysis found that calcium supplementation could increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. However, this finding has not been supported by all relevant studies. Therefore it is suggested that meeting, but not exceeding daily calcium requirements, primarily through food would be a better option, as there was no evidence of increased risk with dietary sources of calcium.

2. Vitamin D: In support of bone health and prevention of falls, 600 to 800 IU daily from diet and supplements combined is recommended for older adults. Other doctors and organizations believe that higher doses may be appropriate. However, Vitamin D may enhance calcium absorption.

3. Vitamin B-12: It's estimated that up to 15 percent of older adults are deficient in vitamin B-12. Since vitamin B-12 has not been shown to cause harm, even in large doses, it may be beneficial for older adults to take a B-12 supplement containing at least 2.4 mcg -- the Recommended Dietary Allowance -- to help prevent deficiency.

Although many of the reported risks are small, any increase in risk is troublesome since people take supplements to improve their health. Because a large number of people take supplements, a correspondingly large number may experience adverse effects. The best thing to do is talk to your doctor before taking any supplements or making any changes to your current regimen, and ask for their recommendations for your specific needs.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:19 am

Irina, I have removed your phone number from your post. I appreciate that you are offering help, but we always suggest that people initially contact each other by personal message, and not post personal info such as contact info on the forum for their own safety. Doing so could leave you in a position where you receive unwanted calls, txts etc.

Also, it could also be interpreted that you are advertising your services on here, which is something that members are asked not to do under Rule 3 of the Basic Rules For Membership which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12383

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication