[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline- does it get better?

Amitriptyline- does it get better?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline- does it get better?

Postby hullabaloo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi folks. I am recently diagnosed and the rheumatologist I saw recommended that I start on amitriptyline to try and help me get my sleep sorted out. I generally fall asleep fine but wake around 6 times during the night (though i fall straight back to sleep). I therefore never wake up feeling refreshed. My dr started me on 10mg, which has no effect on me at all other than give me a dry mouth. Following drs advice, I increased the dosage to 20mg from Wednesday (this was 10 days after being on 10mg). I'm not sleeping much better but I feel like a zombie! It's like going through a bad phase of fatigue so at the moment it's difficult to know whether it is the drugs or just coincidence and I am having a flare up of symptoms. My question is, if it is the amitriptyline causing the bad fatigue is this likely to settle down and get better? Also my dr told me to take them 12 hours before I get up, so I take them at 7pm in the evening. The problem is I fall asleep 2 hours after I take them so I am in bed for around 9pm each night. I feel this is a problem as I end up sleeping too much and it's not exactly great for a social life! I'm supposed to be at a relatives housewarming tonight, for example, but there was no way I could make it as I feel like this- :sleep: I'm just wondering if I should persist with this in the hope things settle or whether I need to go back to my dr to pursue other options. Thank you.
hullabaloo
UKFM Newbie

Re: Amitriptyline- does it get better?

Postby lindsayfieldman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Am on them as well on 35mg but I take them 1hr b4 I go to bed so my muscles start to relax but ive had a really bad week with pain so I will be going back on tues to see if I can get it increased again .hope it works for u x
lindsayfieldman
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:51 pm

It did absolutely nothing for me, but give me bizarre nightmares.

Most medication take 3-6 weeks to settle down so it may be a case of wait and see.

As for zombie like state, i think that's normal FMS sufferers. I don't have a social life and my best friend is my bed :)
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby clubsound4 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:59 pm

I was put on these at first diagnosis but they did not appear to be doing anything , maybe it would be wise to mention it to your gp and either increase or change to something else :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 pm

:welcome: to the forum hullabaloo :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Amitriptyline is often one of the first meds tried when you are told you have FM as it can help with pain and sleep issues. It usually takes about a month before it is fully into your system and you can feel some benefit from it. From what you have said, am I right in thinking that you have only been on them for coming up for 2 weeks?? If so, then this could possibly explain why you're not feeling any benefit from them so far. The starting dose tends to be tried for a month or so, allowing it to get into your system, then things are reviewed to see hpw they are progressing, with any changes being made if necessary.

The dry mouth you're experiencing is a known side effect of amis, and in most cases does tend to improve, it can be a couple of weeks or so to start doing this, so you may need to give it a little longer to see how things go. Another side effect that they are known for is morning~after zombificationess, which could be contributing to how you are feeling. Disrupted sleep patterns/insomnia and unrefreshing sleep are also associated with FM, so they too could also be adding to things.

FM affects us all very differently, and the way we respond to meds used in it's management is on a similar basis, with what may help one being of little or no benefit to another. For some, taking their amis 12 hours before they will be getting up it is the most suitable thing to do. For others tho, they find that taking them at a different time to this works better for them. This can be taking them around early evening/after dinner or taking them a couple of hours or so before they go to bed. You could try taking them at a different time and see how things go. With you taking them around 7.00pm then being in bed 2 hours later, you could try taking them a little later and see how you go with them. You'll probably find you need to this for a week or so to get an idea if it's right for you. If things still aren't quite right, then try a different time and see.

With them needing about a month to take effect, we usually suggest that you try and persist with them for that first month before deciding whether they are helping or not. Sometimes tho, with side effects and things, this isn't possible and a swap to something else is needed as not all meds suit everyone.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hullabaloo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 am

Thank you for the replies :-) I will give them a good go & persist with them. I am back to my gp in November for a review on how things are going so I will stick with them til then. At least then if it's no better I can say I gave them a fair chance.
hullabaloo
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication